Go Figure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Figure

I put the Mako in a covered slip before the first snow two weeks ago, and went to pull it out on the trailer today. Of course, I cranked it until the battery died, but in my opinion, it really wasn't that much cranking... I've let it sit longer and had it crank up sooner.

Two questions:

How much (minutes?) can you expect to crank a battery before it goes down? Or how long can a battery sit without charging and still be useful? It's an Interstate Marine 750.

Can sudden cold cause condensation in the fuel line/tank that freezes in the line and kills the motor? I know this sounds like a long shot, but I'm puzzled. The motor definately spun long enough and fast enough to start. [?]

The only reason I ask this absurdly vague dumb-girlfriend "like, why won't it start?" is because I hope someone has had a similar experience with a motor that has never NOT started.
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Kill Switch ???
    Apex NC [br]

Comment

Mubik... Not the same engine, but my 'Rudes were brand new and they wouldn't start! Turns out, the new DI engines needed supper amperage to start. If they don't get it, they may spin (as mine did), but not fast enough to allow the computer to let the engines start. I had to change out my batteries to 850 cranking amps (got the 1000 crankin amp monsters !!) as apposed to the 650 cranking amps I had. Maybe the same for you as the batteries definitely lose power in cold weather.
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

750CCA batteries are not a lot. When it comes to batteries I always the best/overkill batteries.

The cold could play with your fuel, as in a freeze up.

Weak batteries will always tell on themselves when the cold weather hit's.

Comment

Mub,

I just replaced both of my batts 2months ago. I run 850 amp batts now. My old batts were 18 months old and were getting weak. It was getting hard for my motor to start. Im not sure but I would think that the cold could have as big effect just as the heat does. Some mtors start better if you sqeeze the fuel ball as you crank. My 150 is fussy as hell when it hasnt run for a couple of weeks.

Comment

QUOTE: Im not sure but I would think that the cold could have as big effect just as the heat does.

It has more effect on a battery not working when it's COLD out.

Most auto parts houses get a run on batteries when the first cold snap hit's town.

Comment

Not the kill switch, probably a cold-affected battery. I'm going to take the jump-pack to it and try again. I'll let you know.

I doubt it's a fuel problem; I'm running ValvTect Marine Premium in it. You Florida guys should have heard of that.

Gary, are you running TWO 850's? I guess it takes a lot to turn that Magnum V10 of yours. Do you really think a single 75 needs two batts?
              \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

don't forget to check your connections. especially at the battery posts. My boat sometimes go for months without being used and I've had several times where motor would turn but not start. The posts need to be clean to insure good contact. It doesn't matter how many amps your battery has if you have a bad connection.
                Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

If I read this right and it was turning over...try manually choking the engine (if it has a manual choke lever) from the front of the engine. I dont know how much cold time they get, but when its sub-freezing, my Yams wont kick unless I manually choke them.
                  1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Here's my take on the no start issue, Comming from the great white north, Take the batt inside, give her a good charge, clean the terminals and give it a try. Try putting some dyalythimicagiggy grease on the terminals before reconnecting them.

Good Luck

SB
                    Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

HeHe You mean Diaelectric grease? HeHe[]

Comment

A very very light sniff of ether could do the trick. WD 40 works good also without the severe bang that comes from ether. I use it all the time on 2 strokes that have sat for a season or 2.

You could have flooded it and now the plugs are wet and are grounded out.

Ice can form in a low point of the fuel line. Did you check to see if you were getting fuel?
                        2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

Happy New Year,

I have a couple of crawfish boats that have 25 hp Kohler motors on them and when we get a hard freeze I've had condensation in the fuel lines freeze.

Also I know that Mercury Optimaxes need to have a certain amt. of amps from the battery to allow the fuel pump to open.

Mark
                          76 Mako 25 W/Twin 150 suzukis[br]Jennings,La

Comment

The cold does NOT kill batteries. It just takes more amps to turn over a cold engine. Heat does kill batteries but it is not noticed as it takes less amp to turn over a warm engine. That 750 interstate should start that engine no problem at all. I think something else must be going on.[?]
                            Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

I tried the jump pack on it yesterday afternoon and still nothing. Mist-Rest, how would one go about testing fuel supply?

Comment

Working...
                              X