Interesting Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Mako

I saw this Mako picture on another site and thought it was interesting. Note the two hull extentions on either side of the motor. I do not know if they are there as livewells or for extra flotation but it is a neat idea. I think the added flotation that something like that would generate could alleviate some of the transom notch safety issues, as weel as provide a place to mount trim tabs flush with the bottom of the hull. Check it out.

I've seen that on a couple SeaCrafts as well....seems to be a fad somewere [8D]

Strick
    Oakley, California

Comment

As I delve into my archives... These are from a brochure I have scanned to put on the web. I'm thinking that those are polling platforms which also give extra floatation to compensate for the polling person.

Hopefully I can get several of the brochures processed and on the web by next week. I wanted to get the manuals posted first.

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

The only other thing that comes to my mind would be that those are for working commercial fishing nets, but they are not really far enough back to clear the prop.

-Pat.
        18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Here they are on a 20 foot seacraft.

[img][/img]
          Oakley, California

Comment

Here they are on a 20 foot seacraft.

sorry about the big pic I tried to make it smaller but lack the necessary skills []
            Oakley, California

Comment

Hi guys,

Those are bait wells. They came as an option on Aqua Sports. They work extremly well and are hard to get your hands on. I have a set in my shop and I am going to start making the molds in differant widths and dead rises this summer. My favorite part about these wells is that there are no pumps which means no hassle. If you find a set of these hang on to them!

Comment

Gary is right. They are baitwells and used to come as options on Makos. I've seen them on other boats as well and still occasionally see them on some mid to late 80's Makos. They are usually not plumbed but instead rely on water coming in through the holes for flow as you can clearly see in the picture that Ringleader posted. Not as efficient as most wells made today, plus you have to reach out over the boat but no pump noise and no problems.

I used to fish on a 36 G&S sportfisherman that had one about three or four feet long across the transom. The great thing was we could catch bait a few days before and just leave them in there - no worries about pumps running or someone stealing your bait pen at the dock. I also think it had a scupper in the bottom to pick up water as you ran and then the outflow went out the holes drilled at the top.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

That is funny those baitwells are extremely poular on the west coast of FL, and do work very well. Bait stays alive and you'll never run down your battery! Not exactly a performance enhancer though.
                  1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I've seen them too...funny thing, mostly on repowered rigs. Being used as extra floatation to offset the added weight of the newer and heavier DFI or 4 bangers?
                    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X