Composite T-Tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite T-Tops

Does anyone know a company that builds composite T-Tops (as apposed to aluminium)?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone..... *maybe Santa will bring me those new thinga-majigs I have to have for the Mako*[]
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

I assume you are talking about the top and not the frame for it. Most tops are done by custom work, unless they are mass produced for a regular manufacturer that orders the complete units, frame and top for multiple boats. Yes there are people that do the tops, custom, but everyones needs and uses are so different. What did you have in mind?[;^)]

Comment

Contact [email protected] Boats (850) 429-9289

They build a really nice hardtop. It is Naidcore and vacuum bagged.

I'd put his top aginst any out there for light weight and strength.

They start about $700.

Comment

Keep in mind, many of the frames have different crowns and deminsions, unless there has been some updating of the process. Electronic boxes, and rigid mounts, throughbolting postions, and such, require some additional work, which will need to be known to minimize future problems and failurs of the cored material.

Comment

I was actually referring to the frame being composite. At the Ft. Lauderdale boat show, many of the new $$$$$$$$$$$ boats were all composite poles on the frames. Maybe the were aluminium with "cooked" on paint. Either way, it sure looked good !!! Seems the composite would be lighter (??). I'm convinced on getting a rag top also, as the seas (shhhhhh) I put my boat through can't help with the added weight of a solid top. She ran 69 mph without the top, and 60 mph with. Too fast either way, but shows the difference.

Great stuff. Thanks guys.
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone building with composites, but that really doesn't mean anything.

My brother is thinking of doing some R&D work on tree stands with it.

Kledgecell core and carbon fiber.

Comment

TREESTANDS?? Hmmmmmm Now that's another language I like to speak *looks around to make sure wife isn't listening*... [] I have an Ol'Man composite treestand and it's 1/2 as light as my Grand Ol'Man, and just as strong. So, convince your brother to do the research on T-Tops instead of treestands, at least until the begginning of hunting season next year when I'll need another treestand. [] I'm a willing client and field test guy !!

Comment

There are some that have a powdercoating on the aluminum legs of all different colors. There are some full towers that were anodized gold or black in the past. I am not up to speed with the latest new gizmos and bells and whistles. If you are worried about the speed. The wind will play a large factor than any weight savings from any carbon fiber the same size, in any different in weight. For all the pluses in carbon fibers, I an not a fan of it, knowing what it can do under stress in its freestanding positions. There are some sailboat masts made from it. But it has to be done in the proper setting, requiring quality control, and I wonder how any of the braces and such would be connected in the shapes and braces required for a T-Top design. Thats my opinion and .00333 worth.

Comment

Just saw a radar arch painted, but with Rhino liner !! Seems silly, but it sure looked good and rugged. Missing the glossy look, but the guy swears he can do it better and color to suit. I'm gonna try to get to his shop and find out how he gets that stuff to stick to Aluminium? Must use a primer of some sort. Any comments?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RudeAttitude

Just saw a radar arch painted, but with Rhino liner !! Seems silly, but it sure looked good and rugged. Missing the glossy look, but the guy swears he can do it better and color to suit. I'm gonna try to get to his shop and find out how he gets that stuff to stick to Aluminium? Must use a primer of some sort. Any comments?

For a professional read, take a look at these two links. In simple terms, we always clean aluminum with the Alumiprep, and then use a Zinc Chromate, the greenish yellow coatings, many folks see on airplane and fuel tank finishes to protect the surfaces, and then paint it with the appropiate primer-paint combination of your choice.

http://www.awlgrip.com/pages/alum.html

http://www.awlgrip.com/pages/app_guide/chap2.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X