Photos of new to me 1986 Mako 224

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of new to me 1986 Mako 224

Picked the boat up for a very good price. Owner included Penn Downriggers, outriggers, all original cushions, set of spare props, life jackets, anchors - basically complete. Sat in dry storage for several years in Miami. Never painted very good condition for age. Had engines gone over really well spent some good dollars here and run like new. Next is to work on teak wood and trim tab motor that will not run.
    1986 Mako 224 twin 1986 Yamaha 115\'s - repowered with 2005 200 Yamaha HPDI[br]

That's a great looking boat! Best of luck with your new toy!
    Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

Still to this day, I regret not waiting on a good 224 to come across the classifieds pages. Awesome boat. You'll enjoy her.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

That's Nice Pete. This is a reprint from Tabman for trouble shooting your trim tab setup.

Fluid: Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) any type. Hydraulic Power Unit is self bleeding, running the Trim Tabs up and down 3-4 times will purge air from the system.

Fuse: 12 volt system use 20 amp in-line fuse on positive. (24v & 32v use proportionately smaller)

Red= Port Valve

Green= Starboard Valve

Blue=Motor Forward (pump pressure)

Yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)

Black on HPU=Ground

Orange on Helm=Control Positive

Troubleshooting

1.If one side is not operating reverse hydraulic lines on the front of the Hydraulic Power Unit to determine if the malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic lines. If after reversing the lines symptom shifts to the other side the malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic lines

2. Is the unit receiving a solid 12 volts? Low voltage will some times cause the solenoids to not open preventing the tabs from moving even though the pump motor is running.

3. Conduct the following test:

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction

Orange (+), blue, red= Port trim tab down

Orange (+), blue, green=Starboard trim tab down

Orange (+), blue, red, green= Both trim tabs down

Orange (+), yellow, red= Port trim tab up

Orange (+), yellow, green=Starboard trim tab up

Orange (+), yellow, red, green= Both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by substituting a "hot lead" for orange. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

4. If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

5. If you conclude the problem is in the pump, contact me.

6. Check to see if there is a relay in line on the wiring harness near the hydraulic power unit. If there is it is an Interrupter Relay (IR1000). It prevents the system fuse from blowing if you try to actuate one trim tab up and the other down at the same time. After you test as outlined above, try removing the relay from the wiring harness and retest the unit. If it works the IR1000 will need to be replaced

Comment

That's Nice Pete. This is a reprint from Tabman for trouble shooting your trim tab setup.

Fluid: Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) any type. Hydraulic Power Unit is self bleeding, running the Trim Tabs up and down 3-4 times will purge air from the system.

Fuse: 12 volt system use 20 amp in-line fuse on positive. (24v & 32v use proportionately smaller)

Red= Port Valve

Green= Starboard Valve

Blue=Motor Forward (pump pressure)

Yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)

Black on HPU=Ground

Orange on Helm=Control Positive

Troubleshooting

1.If one side is not operating reverse hydraulic lines on the front of the Hydraulic Power Unit to determine if the malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic lines. If after reversing the lines symptom shifts to the other side the malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic lines

2. Is the unit receiving a solid 12 volts? Low voltage will some times cause the solenoids to not open preventing the tabs from moving even though the pump motor is running.

3. Conduct the following test:

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction

Orange (+), blue, red= Port trim tab down

Orange (+), blue, green=Starboard trim tab down

Orange (+), blue, red, green= Both trim tabs down

Orange (+), yellow, red= Port trim tab up

Orange (+), yellow, green=Starboard trim tab up

Orange (+), yellow, red, green= Both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by substituting a "hot lead" for orange. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

4. If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

5. If you conclude the problem is in the pump, contact me.

6. Check to see if there is a relay in line on the wiring harness near the hydraulic power unit. If there is it is an Interrupter Relay (IR1000). It prevents the system fuse from blowing if you try to actuate one trim tab up and the other down at the same time. After you test as outlined above, try removing the relay from the wiring harness and retest the unit. If it works the IR1000 will need to be replaced

Comment

224's -- ya gotta love 'em...[]

Prop Blast
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

224's -- ya gotta love 'em...[]

Prop Blast
              Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Congrats on the boat.Very nice setup.

Happy Holidays
                1971 17 Standard[br]Clemson SC

Comment

Congrats on the boat.Very nice setup.

Happy Holidays
                  1971 17 Standard[br]Clemson SC

Comment

I love my 224.

What's in that side door near the top of the console.

I've been thinking of adding some compartments on either side of my console, there is a lot of usable space there.
                    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

What HP and shaft length are those twins???? I have a single 225 on my 224 someday I might want twins.

Comment

The door opens up to three slide in tackle trays.Trays can individually be taken out for use and have enclosed lids and seperate compartments

Comment

Engines are 115hp with 20" shafts

Comment

Nice rig Pete, Happy Hollidays

Comment

Nice boat, where do you sail from?

Good luck and tight lines
                              Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

Working...
                              X