Stuck Water Pump Impeller on shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Water Pump Impeller on shaft

I have been following the site for 2 years now and have a 22 Mako project which will be starting soon, however I currently run a 20 Mako with a 1989 175 Yamaha. The engine runs great but recently the overheating alarm has been going off when idleing for an extended time. I pulled the boat the other week to winterize it and decided to change the water pump out. I dropped the lower unit, removed the water pump cover and got to removing the impeller and that is when the problem started. After seeing the wear on the impeller I understand why I am having overheating problems. I am trying to remove the impeller and it seems stuck to the shaft. Any suggestions, the Yamaha manual suggests a hammer with a punch driving the impeller up the shaft, I tried and no luck....Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!!
    Justin- Malvern, PA[br]20 Mako fish from[br]22 Mako work on

Don't feel bad, it's a common problem

Try a small amount of heat while prying upwards

worst case is cut the rubber off of the brass insert so that you can get a solid bite on it.

When you are done you will have to remove key to remove lower pump plate ,be careful, tap downward with a small punch and try to roll it out. bevel edges of new key before trying to insert

Good luck, this tape will self destuct in 5...4...3..
    Tunatamer 1986 254 Mako Sarasota,Fl.

Comment

Dremmle tool with a cutting wheel.

Comment

Thanks guys...tonight I tried again, this time with some heat and no luck. Then I cut off the impeller down to the brass fitting and still no luck. I took a saw and made some cuts and heated again...this time finally movement. I found some old metal screw like filings under the pump by the "Thrust Bearing Houseing" as I looked close at the shaft the nicks looks like the last time the impeller was removed they used a drill with a screw into the brass. Thanks again and I will try and post some pics of the mini project. Tomorrow night it goes back togeather.

Comment

Below is the Impeller cut up into pieces...just before heating the brass and the shaft. Took me 15 minutes with a cardboard cutter before I thought to use a coping saw...

Comment

This picture shows the Impeller brass fiting around the shaft and heated just before it loosened up enough to come off.

Comment

Then finally the old water pump parts are on the right side and the replacement parts are on the left. Tomorrow night it goes back togeather.

Comment

Spay then shaft with BOSHIELD before ya assemble. It will help keep this from happening again.

Comment

TunaTamer, Mako224 & Alcedo thanks for the help, It's all back togeather and if it stops raining I will attach the lower unit back to the engine tonight....Thanks Again...

Comment

Working...
                  X