Mako 236

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 236

I am considering a '95 Mako 236 that has a gasoline inboard. An unusual Mako configuration, but I think it might work for me. I have read the post for the 236 with the Perkins diesel here. Does anyone know what kind of performance the 236 had with the Gas inboard? Is it the same as the diesel, 25-28 knots with a full load? What did they cruise at? I would prefer a little more top end, but who knows.

Any other comments, thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Guys. I'm under-whelmed by your responses. Is this model that much of a pig, or did Mako manufacture that few of them that no one has any opinion?

Now, I know if I said I was going to look at a 1977 with a rotting off transom and a seized 2 stroke …..I'd get a bunch of replies.

I'm going to go look at this boat some time next week and hoped I might get a comment or two from one of the experts here. No opinions makes me worried it's really a dog. Don't even bother with beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I might want to sell it some day for a bigger model.

Comment

Mike no one has any experiance with that model. I don't know if it's a full inboard or a I/O?

It appears through that that was the last yr/model to have an inboard.

The full inboards I've heard rode well, but were a little slow for some folks.

A guy I know redid a '74 inboard and put a brand new 351 Windsor Ford in it. It wasn't fast enough to suite him, so he did some hop up's to it.

Cam,intake and carb. It still wasn't fast enough for him. He then put a brand new 454 Chevy in it. He sold it after a while and I don't see him any more. It was a beautiful custom boat. He even cut the side out of the boat and had a slip in door, like you see on some of the rescue boats.

Comment

I don't know much about the Inboard Makos. I've never heard anything bad about them aside for a rough ride due to a very shallow V at the stern. I'm sure its a fine model. I've seen old Mako brochures that had feature pictures of charter fleets made up entirely of Mako 23 IB's.

But it seems the Inboard guys haven't found this board yet. You might try asking at TheHullTruth.com, with 20,000+ members over there there is bound to be someone with experience with those Inboard Makos.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Mike,

I bought a 1979 Model 236 in 1999. It was completely original and in excellent shape. What a nice boat. I'd been running a Model 25 with twin outboards and thought that the 236 would be my ticket to better fuel economy. Man! See wouldn't get out of her own way. We re-propped her and got a little improvement. Sold her.

You'll probably cruise 17K or 18K @ 2,800. WOT I think about 28K. That's the bad news. Everything else is good news. Nice ride, great layout, beautiful lines, a real classic. Keep her up and she'll turn heads as long as you have her. You'll always be able to get your money back out of her.

The last wheel we put on her was 15x15x3. The engine was a small block Ford, I think 260. After that experience I compared notes with two other prior owners and found out that they had about the same performance numbers.

The guy I sold it to still has it, so he's got to be happy. You really need to sea trial the boat regardless of what any of us say. What may not be satisfactory to me, may very well be fine by you or visa versa. Good luck. I think the 236 is the prettiest boat that Mako made.

The Model 25 is still alive and well. Can't part company with her.

Just floundering around,

Joe
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks for the great info Flounder! I figured there must be someone who had owned one around here at some point. You couldn't own a Mako and not come to this BB!

They really are great looking boats, and with a closed transom, really safe. I have liked the look of Makos since I saw my first 21 when I was 17.

The water has a hard cover over it around here, so a test ride is out of the question. My other option is a new (non Mako) "go fast" with a shiny new four stroke Yamaha. I want to get the boat show deal so I need to fork over the money before I would get the chance to make that test ride.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Mike,

A friend of mine owns an inboard with a new 5.7 mercruiser in it. He loves the boat and the performance. He uses the boat for charter fishing. If i remember correctly he told me that the boat would run approx 38 mph max. If you think about it though, in 3 to 4 ft. seas you wouldnt want to run that fast any how. I know that he likes the fuel economy too. I would be happy to ask around the docks for more info about the inboards. I know a few people that own them. In fact there is a guy that has an old twin inboard in the area that is going up for sale soon. Good luck.

Comment

I have a 1985 Mako 236 with a 260hp mercruiser. I have awl gripped it dark blue , installed a swim platform and gotten rid of all of the tell signs that it is indeed a Mako 236 (brown paint on windsheild). It is everything that has been described by previous posts it's not fast 18-22 kts depending on load, it is not rough riding( it's a heavy boat for it's size) and it is indeed the most attractive boat Mako ever built. Once you have owned a straight inboard you will be hard pressed to go back to outboards. The noise, fuel economy and not having to fish around an outboard are big perks. The downside that no one told me about is about backing into a slip, single straight inboards depending on engine rotation (mine is a Right Hand) back to port meaning the stern goes left no matter what you do. The bottom line is they are a sought after boat for certain people they are not fast , but are a stable fishing or family boat that can take some rough water. Other boats have similar traits old pacemaker Wahoo"s, Seacraft 23, Bimini 24 and Blackfin 25.

Comment

A guy named Miles Offshore on www.thehulltruth.com and www.classicseacraft.com used to run a 236. He now owns a 23' SeaCraft inboard. Hop on over to one of those boards and look him up.
                  Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I looked at and then made an offer on the 236 I was considering We don't have an agreement yet, so I'm shopping alternatives. I agree it's for a niche market. I have operated several single screw inboards in the past. Add a crosswind to the tendency to crab, and there's trouble.

We plan to use the boat as kind of a picnic boat. I am in the Flag line at a yacht club in Cleveland. I also am a certified Race Committee Officer and go out in all types of weather. A big empty, sound, dry, straight inboard really fits the bill for me. I'd love to see a picture of your blue boat. E-mail me any you have. One of the guys at the Hull Truth has a tag line, "Life is too short to have an ugly boat." I agree.

I enjoy fishing a couple times a year. Went out fishing to the canyon off Long Island last fall on a Bertram 35. I have a lot of respect for the captain of that boat. Fishing was just his hobby. Wow, what a commitment of time and money. I also have a lot of respect for where we were. I almost can't believe what I read here about guys doing it with a Mako, any Mako.

Comment

Mike V-

My buddy owns a resto shop that specializes in Mako's. The Mako 23 inboard is a solid boat. The old Rancho Golfito fishing lodge in Costa Rica had a fleet of eleven Mako 236's that they used for many, many years. If they were good enough to run offshore charters in the pacific....you'll be fine on the great lakes.Just be sure to check out the stringers near the engine mounts (especially on older models that have been repowered), gas tanks, transom, blah, blah, blah.

My buddy actually did a bunch of work on a 1970-1980's vintage 236 a few years ago. The owner was cop and he wanted a larger engine (installed a 454) and new gas tanks. The boat's name is "Felony" and is for sale on www.yachtworld.com.....located in New Hampshire. It still needs some other work....but the mechanicals should still be very good.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X