Satellite radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite radio

Anyone tried using a satellite radio service offshore?

Sirius or XM?
    1974 20\'[br]2005 Sabalo 22\'[br]Gainesville Fl[br]

I went on a charter last year.. he had XM and it seemed to be great all day long. Not sure what it does when the weather gets bad. We have Muzak at the office and foul weather will know it out pretty quick.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

How far did you go out? They claim a 200 mile broadcast zone for the US coastal area.

Comment

Will you be going out of the Miky Way??[8D] Gee, didn't know a Mako had that much range.[;^)] As far as I know of, and have had experience with, there are no restrictions on the distance. Its all satillites, but not sure if the syncrometric???[like that word, for lack of the right one for now][]of the sats and the earth is postioned so that there maybe a restriction of distance.

Comment

I had it on my last boat, and it worked great up to 110 miles offshore.
          1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Right, not in my 20!

I go out of Jacksonville in a Mirage 29', between 50 and 100 miles offshore. I really don't know if the satellites are geosynchronous, I'm assuming they limit there signal for the US.

Comment

syncrometric???

Now I can say I learned something today. I am not sure but I think I did.
              Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

I've had mine 75 miles offshore with crystal clear reception.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

We were only 40 miles out.
                  Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I work on a drillship in the GoM thats 110 miles offshore and we haven't lost reception once. It even works when a hurricane goes by.
                    Pete[br]MaColAh III [br]93\' 261b[br]HO 200 hp ETEC\'s[br]Cape Cod[br]

Comment

Got it. Love it. Don't know how I ever fished without it. The only time it doesn't work is when I'm tucked underneath an oil platform really close. As it is not directional, weather doesn't effect reception. I have XM in the truck (GMC) and Sirius on the boat. I much prefer the Sirius.
                      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

RudeAttitude,

What do you like better about the Sirius? The programming? The equipment? Thanks, trying to decide between the 2.
                        Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

I'm supposedly getting an XM receiver for Christmas, and I was told this unit is able to move between my truck and my boat.

My question is this: When wiring up the boat, do I throw power to the satelite radio off of the Kenwood stereo already there, and then spit the antenna from the Garmin mushroom on the t-top?
                          St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

you might be getting the xm delhi receiver. it fits in a cradle and plugs in power and antenna through the cradle via. wires. they just came out with a marine one that is a waterproof case and a waterproof marine ant. mount the antenna and then run it to the cradle. the power comes from a 12volt plug and the plug itself is a fm modulator that broadcast to a radio that is nearby. then you can buy a car cradle kit and switch the h/u back and forth if need be and still only pay one fee a month. hope this helps, email me if you need more info.
                            Tampa Fl[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by maschweikert

you might be getting the xm delhi receiver. it fits in a cradle and plugs in power and antenna through the cradle via. wires. they just came out with a marine one that is a waterproof case and a waterproof marine ant. mount the antenna and then run it to the cradle. the power comes from a 12volt plug and the plug itself is a fm modulator that broadcast to a radio that is nearby. then you can buy a car cradle kit and switch the h/u back and forth if need be and still only pay one fee a month. hope this helps, email me if you need more info.

That's probably it. Thanks.
                              St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X