Gas tank deteriorating Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank deteriorating Help!!

I have now had my Mako for about 1.5 years and cant seem to catch a break. Last year shortly after I got the boat I blew up the 175 Merc on the back. so now I have a 200 Suzuki on the back that I got used. All season I have been fighting crap in the fuel system and every time I get it cleared it comes back. Silver Powder! Turns out that the fuel is eating the tank and keeps picking up the powder. I now have to drain the tank and throw away the fuel which is now old and flush the tank. Im ok with that as much as a PITA it will be but now the problem is how do I stop this. I can clean the tank but Im sure it will do the same thing or get a new alum tank and Im sure it will eventually do that too. The factory puts in a 98 Gal alum tank. What should I do. Is there a coating for the inside to protect it or should I get a Poly tank? Where do I get it and can I get one to fit in the boat. I thought about how to support it and maybe I can just set it inside the bottom half of the alum one. Tell me what to do. I want to just Fish and not fight this boat all the time. Next step is a Viking funeral for this PITA!
    Scott D Robertson[br]Riverhead NY[br]1992 Mako 210 Cuddy[br]

settle down... I just replaced another fuel tank yesterday... most old and some newer boats get to see the dr sometimes .

Comment

Hey I dont mind doing the work but I want to know Im doing the right thing for the best money.

Is there anykind of spray on liner that I can apply to the inside of the tank I have?

Comment

Do you have a really good water/fuel separator and filter like a Racor? If so, just carry extra elements and get practice changing them. If not, get one. If you have crap in your system, it is either accumulated funk from an older tank that has been loosened by switching to e-10 fuel (more of an inconvenience than a real problem), or your tank is really falling apart (a real problem). Have you noticed any leaks in the bilge or coffin? I have never heard of or seen a silver powder in the fuel system, so that concerns me a bit more than usual. Any coating that you apply to the inside of a tank would mean removing the tank, so you may as well replace it, and that's even considering that such a coating exists.

I also don't think I have ever read that the new e-10 gas will attack an aluminum tank, only older fiberglass tanks that used resins that weren't up for the mission. If your tank is truly giving up the ghost, stop using the boat until you can replace the tank - no sense in losing your life over a few fish.

I understand your frustration with older boats - it's always something. Of course, you did save tens of thousands of dollars over buying new, so consider the headaches a tradeoff. Good luck, and I'm sure others will chime in with shortcuts if they exist.
        [br]2003 Sea Hunt 232 Triton[br]1976 Mako 20 - Sold

Comment

I do have a real good water seperator filter. I was actually warned about a year a go by a buddy who is a Mechanic at a Mako dealership who ave been doing these since the old days. He told me that he has been seeing this in the older alum tank boats with the new fuel. I knew when the mechanic who is working on mine told me about what he found that it was right. I had seen the stuff in the filter but I also had been warned that the powder is so fine its getting through the filter. Tank is definitely breaking down. Not sure how bad it is or if it is leaking but Im looking for the smartest way to go. I found this stuff

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Gold-Sta...er_p_7-30.html

Its a coating that is supposed to be resistant to the fuel. Has anyone heard of this? If not would a plastic tank be better. Biggest I can find is 55 gal and mine is 98 but I really dont need to have that much fuel on board.

Comment

do not spray it with anything .. replace it and install whatever gallon you want

Comment

I don't know what size engine you have, or the gph flow, but it seems you could go down to a 2 micron filter just by switching the element. If anything gets past a 2 micron filter, I doubt your engine would ever know it was there.

I know I wouldn't spray the inside of my tank with any coating. By the time that headache was over, I'd be wondering why I didn't just replace the tank. Your tank isn't that old, but if it has had saltwater sitting on top of it for 15 years, you may be nearly through that tank already.

You are running into the same problem that others have had here - poly tanks just aren't big enough in stock manufactured sizes. Poly tanks do have their problems too, and I would think that replacing a 98 gallon tank with a 55 gallon poly tank might affect your resale value on the boat.

If you want to know how hard it is to replace a tank, do a search on "fuel tank" in the projects section. You can ready many threads that already beat this issue pretty much to death.

Edit: duh, you mentioned in the op that you have a Suzi 200. I'm kinda slow sometimes. Maybe someone with that engine can tell you the gph and if 2 micron would starve your engine.
              [br]2003 Sea Hunt 232 Triton[br]1976 Mako 20 - Sold

Comment

we replace over a dozen tanks a year, in 30 year old boats I have never seen white powder INSIDE the tanks.

Something happened to your tank at one time, maybe it sat for a long time and had alot of condensation in it, who knows?

But what you do have to do is get a new tank, dont touch the inside of it.
                Lindenhurst, New York[br]Please email me if you are seeking advice so that I can answer when I have the free time to devote to your question. Thank you.[br]www.raybomarine.com

Comment

Raybo should I get a Poly or another Alum tank?

Comment

aluminum
                    Lindenhurst, New York[br]Please email me if you are seeking advice so that I can answer when I have the free time to devote to your question. Thank you.[br]www.raybomarine.com

Comment

Ray whats up? I am seeing some deep pitting on the aluminum plates also with the bertram baffles and we cut open a mako tank just to see and it was the same and seems to be where the fuel level was always kept and 'washing' the waterline so to speak... strange days I tell you with this stuff! washes the resign right out of fiberglass so basically 2,800 bertram tanks are up for replaceing alone. the funny part is they use the tank for deck support also on the 165 gallon rigs. but all metal including the float screws in the vst tanks are seeing metal rot / cancer. most white powder I ever see is the salt / aluminum rot. (and I gree ..don't touch it ...hahaha) but thats usually from salt water left to sit on top the tank. been useing steel flex also on a cpl tanks to cap the tops after they are installed.

Comment

the inside of the bertram tanks I have come across the baffles look brand new

Comment

Dude Sea Pro is out of business auctioning EVERYTHING they have even shop equipment RAYBO you may find some cool stuff.

But they have a few fuel tanks for auction. Just by the looks they appear to be the right sizes and styles to fit Makos.?? DOnt know but its worth a look.

bidspotter.com the bluewater group auction. TTops all kinds of neat stuff for internet auction.

Check it out.
                          Terry Fonseca[br]Bossier City, La[br]77\' Mako 20[br]99\'Johnson 225 Ocean Pro[br]

Comment

Working...
                          X