1983 21b scuppers problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 21b scuppers problem

Hello, Started using my 1983 21b Mako with 25 inch transom, does anyone hate the shower drain style skuppers with the through holds way below the water line? I find water constantly in the rear well area. I am thinking of doing away with those and installing 2 one inch brass through holds at deck level. Any ideas?
    jerry king

Definitely not one of their better engineered drain systems. I have the same problem with water coming in when standing at the back of the boat. They must like it as my father 2001 192 is similar. Our boats are easier as all you have to do it drill through the transom. I installed a pair in my 17 a few years back as the one at the bottom of the well was too deep with the 90 Evinrude that was on her at the time. Let us know how you make out as the under deck plumbing is a weak spot that could sink the boat easily if it fails.
    Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

[Hi,I had a similar problem on a 1980, 25ft ,Center Console. To solve the problem, I installed Brass Swing Check Vales directly to the through hull fittings and attached the reinforced tubing from the floor drains to the valves. No more water problems. Be sure and use SWING CHECK Valves where the gravity causes the water to run right out. You will need to spray some WD40 through the Through Hull Ftg. occasionally to keep the valves working freely. Hope this works for you. SMOKEWAGON font=Georgia][/font=Georgia]id="size3">

Comment

The best way to shed water is to provide unobstructed access back into the ocean. I'm not familiar with the shower drains system, but by the looks of it, I'm not convinced it flows enough water and could clog with fish scales or something else....[B)] I was concerned with the 4 bronze 1" drains in my 21' and decided it was not enough and opened them up. I'm guessing that this doubled the capicity to shed water over 4 - 1" holes and the new setup would be closer to 6X better.

I'm now in the middle of a transom job and will take the opportunity to open them up even more since shedding water is important. The best part of the Sea Stopper drains is water cannot enter and only allows draining.

D-
        Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Smoke,

Under typical conditions while fishing, the water pressure on the outside is going to push the check valve closed and if you were to wash down the deck or take a wave over the low transom, no water is going to drain out..or am I missing something?

Dt - on your scupper covers, how does the sea stopper prevent water from coming in and let water out at the same time? I have tried the ping pong ball scupper covers on my last boat and they worked OK, but if low enough, are susceptible to fouling and having stuff caucht under the ball preventing it from sealing closed and having good flow out.

I would be interested in options as the drains exiting below the loaded water line has the potential to sink the boat of a valve or hose failed. Drains above the water line are almost fool proof.
          Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Dave-

How did you cut your scuppers holes? Sawzall? If so, how did you get a really nice oval, I would think with a thick transom that the blade would be bending all over the place.
            Looking for the next mako[br]76\' 22B project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7232&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=76

Comment

2 hole saws then clean with sawsall
              Lindenhurst, New York[br]Please email me if you are seeking advice so that I can answer when I have the free time to devote to your question. Thank you.[br]www.raybomarine.com

Comment

Aqua 750, The configuration of the deck drains on my 1980,25,center console was as follows; The "shower drains"were located flat on the deck just in front of the built in ice chest/ storage compartments. The drain hole was 1" and was attached to the "through hull" by a reinforced tubing. On the outside of the through hull ftg.were rubber flapper covers to [attempt to ] keep the water from running back up through the tubing and out into the boat.It didn,t work very well.Thence, the installation of the check valves.They worked well because the shower drains were about 10" higher than the check valves/through hulls. The built in ice chest on that model, eleminated the problem of following sea's. Hope this helps.id="Georgia">id="size3">

Comment

Sorry guys, I did not check the thread. My Mako came with the 2 - 1" holes already drilled with the bronze sleeves. It was the bronze sleeves that failed and allowed my transom to get wet = rot.

Connecting the holes was a simple cut and that determines the size. Now that I am replacing the core, I will be opening the opening to match the size of the scupper - why not.

The Sea-Stops are not meant for continuous below the waterline mounting. For my application I think it is the best solution as they do not clog with a large opening and open close effortlessly. So if the water level outside the scupper is trying to come in they close. Any water on the deck drains out. They do not make a watertight seal, but water trying to get in from backing or a wave yields a cup or two of water.

The 4 - 1" drains I had provided me a strait shot through the transom and total drain area was 3.14 sq inches (.5*.5*3.14*4). The Sea Stops are 2"x6" and provide 24 sq inches of drain area, which is 8 times better than Mako provided.

D-
                  Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Working...
                  X