Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Mako 231

Hey Folks:

Just purchased a 1988 Mako 231, from ebay, and have numerous questions. Accordingly we have found the right site! If anyone has specific info regarding this year, please respond.

Best regards,

Randy Clark
    1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

The Best Boat going, I just sold one 2 years ago, it was the biggest well,.... almost the biggest mistake I ever made, I love the 231, I ran mine to Walkers and all the way to Harbor Island, it is a perfect trailerable boat as well as a dry ride. The fuel hold was also a big plus, Enjoy your new boat Lucky Man
    Brad 254 Louisville Ky

Comment

Welcome Aboard Randy. Please put your hometown/State in your siginature.

That way it will show on each of your posts. You never know who might be right down the road to give you a hand with something.[]

Comment

Thanks for the reply Warthog!

Our 231 came from your backyard - more later!

Randy
        1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

Great Boat.

If your auction ended last week I was following it.

I own a 1989 231 as well and very happy.

David

Grosse Pointe, MI

Comment

I own the same boat '88 231 with '99 Yamaha 250 and T-Top. We've taken her to Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard several times and the boat handles the rough chop of Buzzrds Bay real well. Best of luck.
            Cataumet, MA[br]1988 Mako 231

Comment

Hi there-

I also have a Mako 231 (1991 model) and she is powered by a Suzuki 225 EFI. The boat offers a very dry and stable ride. The 1991 model year...is one of the last years that Robert Schwebke and family were the majority owners in Mako. Since the early 1990's, the quality of the boats has been less than desirable.

I have been 30 miles offshore in her and have also taken her on a 220 mile (roundtrip) journey down the coast of Massachusetts and back in search of football tuna this past summer without any problems.

With that said, I would replace all thru-hulls, seacocks, hoses, bilge pumps, etc with new versions. I would also take a good look at your fuel tank...it is nearing the end of its useful life.

Be sure to caulk/epoxy all the screw holes where the console is screwed into the floor.You dont want water seeping in the coring.

The only noticeable drawbacks to this boat are:

1) I believe console is too wide and makes it hard to walk between it and the gunwaless.

2) In the steep/close 3 foot chop.....you really need to back off the throttles so you don't start to pound.

Besides those minor two complaints....the 231 is a battle wagon. I am always making upgrades on my boat (new canvas this winter) so feel free to ask any questions.

Comment

Working...
              X