Bass Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Pro

I visited the Bass Pro store in Savannah this past weekend. They had the new 21 and a 19 on the floor. I talked at length with the Mako rep Willie Hamilton. Willie is very informed on the Mako product and visits the production plant frequently. He had nothing but good things to say about the new plant........he also gave me the impression that Bass Pro Shop is doing their best to restore the quality and cutomer relationships in Mako. I went over the 21 with a fine tooth comb, in my opinion it is a fine boat. I saw no short cuts and at 45 K for 21 foot of boat it should be quality. I also went over a 25 Seacraft.....MMMmmmmm Good.

I certainly hope that that is the case. It would be nice to see Mako return to the quality days of old.
    1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

I looked at a Mako 212 at BPS in Destin. I wasn't impressed at all once I started snooping around below the deck. I was able to peak under the deck through the console as well as the forward storage (if I recall correctly... its been a while. There is a finished (molded) striger system up there and it was obviously supposed to be mated with the deck because it had bedding putty stacked up about 2" high, but there was still about a 1-2" gap between the top of the bedding putty pile and the underside of the deck... There were other things that upset me, but that really disgusted me. The manner in which the console opens is kinda fruity as well. I didn't take pixs, so mt memory is running short.

On a positive note... The hull sides and bottom felt nice and solid. I do like the molded diamond tread nonskid and the overall layout of the boat is pretty nice.

But all in all, I hope they can turn things around. The biggest thing they need to turn around is customer service. This corporate BS has got to go. Make a good product and stand behind it!
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Before you decide on a new Mako, take the time to visit a large boat show and look around. Comparing a SeaCraft to a Mako is not valid because they are both built and sold by BassPro subsidiaries. Looking at a Bass Pro store gives you no basis of comparison.

Once you look and compare, you'll see why we all concentrate on "Classic" Mako's. They were built in the pre-BassPro era. Of course, at the time they were more expensive boats (in inflation adjusted dollars) that what you get now at Bass Pro. In real dollars, the Mako's were probably more comparable to Contender, YellowFin, Jupiter, Parker and other premium priced boats of today.

I personally feel that the new Mako boats have little character and quality compared to the older ones. Look at enough boats and you'll see what I mean. If you don't see the difference, a new Mako or SeaCraft might be the right boat for you.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

I can't really speak as to the current quality of Makos, but I can tell you that I hate the layouts on those things. Zero room. You pay for a 23' boat and get less room than is in an old 20'. Not my bag, baby.
          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Wilson I've noticed the same thing as well, not on just Mako's but on other brands as well. It seems more and more brands are including the euro transom, and even anchor pulpit, into their over all lengths. With that in mind, a 23' could actually be a 19' boat with a 1 foot pulpit and a 2 foot motor mount.
            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

So which manufacturer is making tomorrow's classic? Whose boat will be the subject of so much discussion and talk as the 30 year old Mako's are today?
              [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DestinBound

So which manufacturer is making tomorrow's classic? Whose boat will be the subject of so much discussion and talk as the 30 year old Mako's are today?

Not real sure, but Regulator seems to be a well built boat with good lines. There are a bunch of smaller mfgs like Kencraft that will probably be much coveted hulls later on as well.
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DestinBound

The thing is (and the impression I get), is that early Mako's (and Whalers and Grady's and maybe a couple others), were mass-produced boats using cutting-edge technology (for their day), and yet the quality was solid enough to last the years.

Today, it seems more difficult to point to a mass-produced brand that is also delivering quality that should last:

Regulator probably qualifies.

Contender, maybe - but are they really mass-produced?

Parker, Steiger, probably

Cape Horn, McKee, Jones Bros, maybe

Whaler, probably still, but way overpriced.

Grady, probably, but I don't know well enough.

Scout, definitely mass, but good enough?

There are many other names that might have been ok until recently, but not really sure are great today (like Edgewater until what's his name sold out a year or two ago).

Also, there are lots of niche, semi-custom builders that make great quality boats (Judge, Gause, North Rip, etc), but these are hardly mass produced.
                  NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

I agree with the quality of the old Makos but there is more to it than that. They were different from their neighbor. They look good. They have curves - just like the fairer sex.[]

Most of the boats I see today have no creativity and are cookie cutters of some other plan. []

So you need the quality to make them last and the look for long term attraction.

I'd add Intrepid and Triton to your list also. Intrepid's are high quality and have interesting layouts. Triton boats are good, I'm not really a fan of the "Euro" transom but Triton makes a good boat. I've been to their factory and snooped around.

Of those listed my personal favorite from a looks point of view is the Scout 280. They have some nice lines and don't look like their neighbor. I don't know anything about their quality but they are my list to do a plant tour. If I understand their corporate structure, they also have one other thing going for them that Mako had - family ownership and leadership. They have a terrible web site though. Guess you can't have it all.
                    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Regulator!
                      Ole Joe
                      Just floundering around
                      White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                      1978 Mako 25

Comment

Dusky.

Although I feel strongly Mako will make a strong come back.

Comment

quote:

I agree with the quality of the old Makos but there is more to it than that. They were different from their neighbor. They look good. They have curves - just like the fairer sex.

Man, I love the curves of the Regulator 23. I fish on one regulary and the looks go along with the performances. That boat floats through 4 foot chop like you are riding on a bed of pillows. And the layout......[insert homer simpson drooling sound here].

That being said, when get the scratch I am going to buy a parker 2520XL. I don't like the center console in Dec-March in New England.

For now, though, my 1979, 19 foot Mako suits me fine.

_Z_
                          2006 Northcoast 19[br]East Greenwich, RI

Comment

The person who sold me my 25 CC purchased a 32 regulator w/twin yami 225 ox66 . What a machine we had it out in 3-4 ft chop with the wind blowing hard. No pounding no spray . Tons of storage , insulated fish boxes , tackle center , t-top outriggers , head . This is definatly the boat to have. Lots of $$
                            [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

Working...
                            X