Finish the Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish the Fuel Tank

Here's some things I've learned. When testing a tank under preasure.

1st you only need about 1lb of preasure. I took it to the high side of 1lb. IE the needle on a 0 to 15lb guage was just to the right of the 1lb mark and it was touching that mark.

THAT'S IT NO MORE!

My brother has a really sharp guy working for him he said if you take it to 4lbs that sucker will unzip itself. I belive him.[^]

This is one of the 2 fuel pickups.

bobby, you sure your building a boat and not a space shuttle? wish I could put ss tanks in my boat. green with envy right now...[:-(]
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Hey let me tell 'ya. that tank has been damn near built for 2yrs. All it needed was the 2 ends welded in and another fuel pickup for the 2nd motor.

Brother say's to always give him 2 weeks advance notice for when I need something. He likes to burn the candles at both ends. HeHe between his family life and his deer hunting and his work, it's hard to get him to do anything. He's a sharp guy and I'm proud to have him as a brother. He has a masters in Mechanical Engerning and a PE degree. Go Alburn.[] I've got a niece on the way. This should be fun.

These are some of my future torunment fisherman. Uncle Bobby will just drive the boat.

Here's my nephews. That's a 5lb Bass and Morgan caught it all by himself.

This is Will's first Bass

Comment

Here's some interesting data from brother Rick.

Here is something you can show to the people that think you should

pressurize your tank to several psi for testing. I put together a quick

model and analyzed it in my finite element program (stress analysis). I

modeled it to the same dimensions as your tank and even put in the interior

baffles as they add to the rigidity of the tank. I then put a load of 1 psi

internal pressure. You can see the results. The max stress is the orange

area which equals 130,599 psi. Just so you know, the material we used

yields (permanently bends) at about 100,000 psi. I assume what is happening

is that the area that is permanently bending is small and that is why it is

not showing up. However, it probably won't take much higher pressure to

open this thing up. The orange areas show you where it will most probably

open up first.

Comment

So Bobby... Did your tank 'unzip' itself, or are you just doing detail work?

BTW - Nice fish that the little guy caught! []
          Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

This stuff makes my head hurt. You guys are way over my head.

Will it hold gas or not. That is the question. hahaha

Larry Smith

Pasadena, Tx

'97 Mako 191
            Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

QUOTE: So Bobby... Did your tank 'unzip' itself, or are you just doing detail work?

No it's fine. I've got a little more work to do to seal the screws at the pickups and then we will preasurize the tank overnight.

There has been talk in the past about checking tanks for leaks. This was done to show that you really need to be carefull about the way you preasurize a tank and how little preasure it really takes to do one.

Comment

This is interesting stuff...[]

The only thing acting on the walls and seams of a gas tank is the weight of the gas due to gravity and the inertia of the fuel as it sloshes around. If the tank is baffled right then big chunks of gas shouldn't move around that much. Gas only weighs what 6lbs/gallon? Each cubic inch of gas will weigh .026 pounds. So, pounds per square inch of gas will be far less than 1lb of air pressure.

Just as another way of thinking about this, 1lb/sq inch of pressure is much more than you really need to confirm that your tank doesn't leak.
                [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Working...
                X