Engine Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Weight

Does anybody know the weight of the older 115 Merc. 6 cyl. outboard? This is the tall model with 3 carbs. I'm wondering what the weight difference would be if I were to repower with a 130 4-stroke. The boat is an 18 Backcountry, and we glassed over the through-hulls in the live wells on either side of the lower unit to add bouyancy. Any info would be appreciated.

[8D][8D][8D]
    Captain Scott[br][email protected][br]Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hey Scott I don't know about the weight but, I do have info on what your boat can handle.

A friend that fishes that same model 86' has 225 2 stroke.w/a manual jack.

He has not glassed in the wells and only takes a little water over the transom after comming out of light speed[:u]
    1971 17\' [br]Saved from the \"BONE YARD\"[br]Anna Maria Island, FL

Comment

Enzo,

The boat is rated to 150hp, which I think is a bit much. Be advised that this is the original 1979 hull. I'm just trying to compare the weight of the 4 stroke vs, the 2. Thanks for your reply.

[8D]
      Captain Scott[br][email protected][br]Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comment

Scott,

My family has a 99' 115 Johnson on our 1974 17' Angler. We couldn't be happier with the performance. We mainly bay fish in it since we also have a 25. Since we don't require a long range with the 17 I can't ever seeing the cost benefit for a 4-stroke. I hope this gives you some help.

I think I speak for the forum when I say we would love to see some pictures of that boat. It is very rare!!
        Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

QUOTE: if I were to repower with a 130 4-stroke.

The only 130hp 4 stroke I know of is a Honda. A DF-140 is lighter than that Honda, by a bunch.

Comment

Working...
          X