Snowblower advice...hurry, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowblower advice...hurry, please.

Slightly off the topic but I know you guys will be able to help me.

I have the opportunity to buy a mid-1980's Ariens 7hp- 2 stage snowblower for $200. It appears to be in good shape. What can I do to check the condition of the Tecumseh engine? If I have to perform an engine compression test what psi should I be looking for?

What about the other mechanicals.....auger, driveshaft. etc? Any advice....i dont know much about these type of things.

Thanks,

Ed

I can't give you any insight on Snow Blowers, but I can tell you that Tecumseh engine's are at the bottom of the totum pole,as to desired motors. Tecumseh engine's were notoris for throwing rods out the side of the block.

Comment

Notorious for throwing rods? So are toyota V6 motors with 190K+ miles that havent had the timing checked. [V]
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I have a honda 2 stage machine. I bought it when they were forecasting a 30-36 inch storm here in NJ. The storm system changed... we got rain, it didn't snow for two years after that. Nevertheless, it is still by far my favorite powertool. It is unlikely that you'll get a snow-free winter in New England, if the unit is in good shape then buy it 200 bucks is a pretty good price. Make sure you can still get parts for the unit. If money isn't an issue buy a new Honda.

Atm
        Avalon, NJ

Comment

Ed,

This one I think I can help with. Eight years ago I traded in a 10 year old 6 hp Ariens Snowblower for a New 8hp John Deere Snowblower. My boss bought my trade in Ariens from the dealer. He's still using it! After 2 years with the John Deere, I got rid of it- for a severe loss. I went back to Ariens and bought a used 10 Hp 32" cut. Now I can throw some snow and it starts first pull, or first push of the elec. start .. I also have a Cub Cadet trator that I could run a 48" snow blower on. But, it's single stage! Now way.. Up here in Maine we get some snow. The split is 50/50 Toro/Ariens. The Toro throw the wet snow a little better because of the auger design. But , the Ariens are still running in 15-20 years, they are built to last.

I can't tell you about the unit that you are looking at, but, if you pull the rope, it starts and goes forward and back - it probaly will for years.

One thing that I do is to run it till it's gas tank is bone dry at the end of each season.

The only issue I have ever had with mine is a cracked primer bulb that created a vacuum leak. Replaced thje bulb and kept blowin snow.
          Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Snow?
            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

The last snow blower I saw was a the carnival making snow cones. [8D]

Comment

I am very happy to say I know nothing about them. I do not even know what they look like.[][][]
                Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

Hey Bob-

Thanks for the input. The guy who was selling it for was supposed to hold it until I got home from work. When I called him on the way home...he kept pretending we had a bad cell connection and would not return my voicemail messages. What an asshole...

Needless to say, I will continue looking.

Ed

Comment

buy it its supposed to snow tonight 2-4" It beats shoveling
                    [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

Ed, Ariens is a good machine, but the engine is so so, but for $200 sounds pretty good! If you're looking for a used machine I might have one in NBPT. My father was interested in selling it last year, I can ask him if you're interested. It's a Toro, 8hp Briggs, electric 110v start, 2 stage, and it has some special feature where the wheels drop back behind the engine so that the engine weight is forward of the wheels, putting all the units weight on the front. This is so the snowblower won't ride up huge banks of snow. Pretty clever! I know he paid about $1600 for it back in the day. I would assume he'd want less than half that. When stored for the summer, the oil has always been changed and engine fogged. Anywho, let me know
                      [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Father has an '80(?) 8hp (black motor) Ariens that rocks. Tecumsah. My brothers and I used to motor that thing everywhere trying to earn a buck when it snowed. Even got a trailer for it once we started driving. Little brother ran it out of oil one day and it seized. Once it cooled, we added oil and got it going. Runs smooth as silk still. Broke a few windows with that machine over the years thinking I was far enough away but wasnt, that thing will really sling some poundage.

Last year someone gave me an older 7hp (again, Tecumseh) Ariens. White engine era. Supposedly didnt run. I put new points etc in it, took the carb apart and cleaned it. Thing had so much use I had to replace the front skids as well, they were worn down to nothing. The thing kicks ass and absolutely purrs, doesnt burn a drop of oil and it has to be a 77, maybe 1978 from best I can tell.

The one thing you do have to worry about with the ariens is the gear that drives the rotor...they can get torn up if you repeatedly wedge newspapers or slate b/t the rotor and scoop. Not that I'd know anything about that...and I dont think the gear is chep either...definatley dont know anything abou tthat, I'm sure my father does though...
                        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

[88][88][88] i can see the newspaper going Poof and flying all over the place.[88][88]

Comment

all this talk about snow blowers.... sounds to me like you guys are realling talking about a self propelled wood chipper.

you boys need to do what we do here in Atlanta. Just close down the whole city and wait for it to melt..[:x)]
                            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Yeah Bobby, newspapers do one of two things....get hung up in the first stage, or make it through to the second where they do go 'poof' and come out as confetti
                              1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X