No announcement yet.

Mako newbie- help in buying used boat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako newbie- help in buying used boat.

I'm looking to buy a used 17-21' Mako and would like some advice.

I live in Nassau and think this type of boat suit my needs. Plus they look great IMO.

What should I look for and are there models and/or years to avoid?

TIA

what are your plans for the boat, how many people, $$ answering some of these questions might help narow your search
    1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

Are you looking for a project or turnkey boat?

If a project, are you looking for minor cosmetics or are you willing to deal with major structural issues like transom, stringers, and floor?

Are you looking for the protection of a cuddy in a W/A or are you a die-hard CC man?

17' to 21' is a big range and can mean a big difference in price, as well as the difference in towing vehicles (I'm not sure I'd try towing a fully-loaded 21 long distances with my V6 Toyota).

You should ALWAYS look at a few of these common older mako problems: rotten transom, spongy floor. Other problems like bad stringers, soaked foam, or bad fuel tank are less easy to spot and should be left to a surveyor if you have narrowed down your search.

Furthermore, you should try to narrow down what years you're willing to work with. Early 90's Makos will probably command a premium and require the least repair/maintenance. Early 70's Makos can sometimes be had at a bargain, but MAY... i emphasize MAY, need repair to become even seaworthy, but most of us will tell you we'd rather have a big project than buy something off the showroom floor.

Oh, and it's not your opinion that Makos look great. It's a proven fact. [(#)]
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I couldn't have said it better.[]

Comment

Thanks- I live in Nassau and looking for turn-key runabout for 4 people max. Day trips around here and to nearby Cays mostly.

There is 19 for sale but not sure what year it is. Saw a 231 which looks sweet- with such low freeboard- is that boat wet in seas?

Comment

Hi Ritter,

I like the 17s but they ride hard in a chop and will rattle your teeth if you hit a wake. I ran a friends 20 a few weeks ago and was impressed with the boat. I found a 20 on Pine Island for sale last weekend and if the price is right I may buy it.

Comment

Working...
            X