263 opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 263 opinions

I have been researching walk-arounds in the 26' range, and the Mako 263 built '95-'97 is one of my top picks. I'm not sure if this qualifies for a "classic" Mako, but would be interested to hear if any of you have experience with this boat. I am looking for a boat that can handle the 3'-4' steep chop we see on Buzzards Bay in MA, and also further off-shore. I have two younger kids (2 & 5) and my wife to take into consideration as well. I like the mid-cabin bunk on the 263 for this reason, as we will do the occasional over-nighter. Ride comfort, closed transom, good (safe) walk-around, and layout are main concerns. Also, I'm 6'1" - how is the head room down below (& in the enclosed head).

Thanks for any opinions. This is my first posting, and I've enjoyed reading and lurking here for a while. Especially have enjoyed the projects section, and wish I had more time to re-do a boat. X-Sharks - that's an impressive project you have going!
    JC[br]\'73 Formula 233F[br]Mattapoisett, MA [br]U.S.A.[br][

Welcome to the board kitebuz. Please put your hometown/state in your siginature. It help's us help you. Thanks for the nice complements on my boat.[]

Perhaps someone else can help you on your questions and find one in your area.

Comment

Warthog5 - thanks for the suggestions - I've updated my profile.

Also, if anyone knows of any typical problem areas to look out for in this hull or build dates, let me know.

Comment

If you will put Mattapoisett, Massachusetts in your siginature it will show up at the bottom of each of your posts. that way we don't have to click to see where your from.[]

Comment

There have been a few guys pass through here who have owned or still own that particular boat. I haven't heard raves about it, but I have zero first hand experience with the hull. Maybe someone will know something.
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I have fished on that model once. The boat I was on had a tower on it and was powered by a pair of 200 yamahas. We ran offshore in a solid 2 to 4 foot chop with a nasty cross wind. Under the half tower and enclosure it was dry but if you were standing, as I was, in the cockpit while underway you got really wet. I should reiterate that it was windy that day.

We were bottom fishing that day and a wave just about came over the motors, although I can't remember if we were backing down at that point or not.

Over all my impression was that it is a solid boat but I am not sure the design of the bracket and height was right. I did not go into the cabin at all that day.

Cliff
            Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Kitebuz,

I have a 1996 Mako 263 powered by twin 200 OMC's. I am the original owner and fish the gulf out of Venice, LA. It's a solid hull that can take the sea. The hull is sensitive to weight shifting from port to stbd. (people walking from side to side while on a plane). I guess the deep vee can be blamed for that. Never had any water over the engines, although I troll a lot, not much for bottom(rig)fishing. The cabin and the enclosed head is great for dry storage and for the female crew when onboard.[8D]

Joe

1996 Mako 263

Luling, LA

Comment

o.k - I'm w/ you now warthog5 (see signature).

Great to get these 1st hand accounts. Joe - are you able to adjust for the weight shifts w/ trim tabs?

Would you agree w/ Seareel that it can be a wet ride in the cockpit (away from the 1/2 tower cover)? I guess alot of boats can be w/ a strong enough cross wind...

Comment

Kitebuz,

The weight shifts are no big problem, trim tabs and engine trim can eliminate the problem. Mostly I have to tell my crew not to walk around while I am on a plane. When running in a rough sea I have had waves come over the bow and through the space between the windshield and my fiberglass hardtop and wet my crew. If I put up my plastic curtains we all stay dry.

Joe [8D]

1996 Mako 263

Luling, LA

Comment

Thanks, Joe. Sounds like the 263 has treated you well.

The other boat I have looked at is a '93-'94 233. Any opinions on the 233?

Comment

I have a 233, Its a big boat and I love the hull. Its really the same hull as todays

253. There is one for sale in MA for low 20's and it looks really clean.

Let me know if you have any quetions
                      Apex NC [br]

Comment

Holy Smoke - where do you run your 233 (not sure where Apex is)? Do you take it off-shore, and how do you like it's handling in short steep chop? Also, do you have a hard top, bimini, or none? Finally, what engines do you have, and what is your cruise speed, wot, and fuel consumption?

Lot's of questions - this was the first Mako I started looking at, before being lured towards the 263. I've actually been on the one in MA - it's ok. No hard top or bimini though (& no trailer). It prob. needs repowering too, and aesthetically (gel-coat, cushions, etc) it was not a-1.

Nice looking hull though. Enclosed head was a little tight for me, but definitely a bigger boat than the name implies.

Comment

Apex is just outside Raleigh NC. I love the way the boat runs both offshore and in the Local lakes. Mine has twin 140 Suzuki's with

18x22 props and I cruise at 4200 rpm at about 27 knots. If you sea

trial make sure the engines are mounted high up on the bracket if they

are mounted two low it really makes the boat handle like crap. Mine has

a hardtop and was hull #1 so it has a few little things that need to be

corrected but overall its a really nice package. My best guess is I am

about 6500lbs plus 1000lbs for the trailer and its a big boat to trailer

but my Yukon does a really nice job. The head is a joke but makes for

really nice storage if you ever overnight on it.

good luck
                          Apex NC [br]

Comment

Kitebuz,

As JC implied the boat is a lot bigger then the name implies. The 253 is almost the same hull as the 263 just a little larger. The 263 has a aft sleeper under the helm, but you have to be a small person to fit in there and as far as the head, it is tight. If I can figure out how to post a Pic of mine I will, or just send the pic's to your email address.

Joe [8D]

1996 Mako 263

Luling, LA

[img][/img]

Comment

Holy Smoke - thanks for the detail - & putting up your pic. Your boat looks awesome for hull #1 (or not). Have you ever had her re-done? So noted on running the motors high. Is that hard top custom? If so from where - looks good.

Joe - I got your pics via e-mail - thanks alot. Barbara Ann looks great. I could not open the 3rd file (mako 263 gulf fishing.pdd) though.

I think you are right - these boats are pretty close in size: 26'2" vs 24'9" and only 200 pounds apart (4k vs 3.8k), and max hp of 400 vs 350. The WA structure looks like it stands higher on the 263, which I would guess affords a little more head room down below (I have got to go look at one in person). The sleeper is nice on the 263 for my kids.

I'ld probably be pretty happy with either - just need to find the right one now...

Comment

Working...
                              X