1978 Mako 23 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Mako 23 questions

I have a 1978 Mako 23 (originally a I/O model) converted to O/B drive. It has the 70 gal internal fuel tank that it was fitted with, but I cannot find the blower anywhere I look. Anyone have a direction to point me to?

Also, the live bait well doesn't drain water, I'm guessing that there is a shutoff somewhere for the drain line, but can't find it. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Ed

www.sunchaser.org

Outboards boats don't normally have blowers like an inboard so my guess is the blower was taken out when it was converted from inboard to outboard. as for the drain, it should be in the bildge.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

The livewell probably was a fish box that was converted to a livewell, I doubt there is a valve. It may just be clogged, it should drain out the back, try a coat hanger to free it up.
      Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

Outboards boats don't normally have blowers like an inboard so my guess is the blower was taken out when it was converted from inboard to outboard. as for the drain, it should be in the bildge.

But since it's an enclosed gas tank, shouldn't it still have the blower?

Ed

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by tuskanraider

The livewell probably was a fish box that was converted to a livewell, I doubt there is a valve. It may just be clogged, it should drain out the back, try a coat hanger to free it up.

I tried a wire-puller snake, hit obstruction at about 3". I thought that maybe there was a "ball valve" that was in the forward portion of the engine compartment that got covered up when the I/O was removed.......

Comment

blowers on an inboard is a must because the engine is located inside the boat in confined areas and having combustable fumes around it could lead to some serious fireworks. outboards on the other hand are located outside in the open air with only the cowling covering the components so very little risk of explosion from fumes in the air being ignited, much less fumes trapped inside the boat.

However, if you smell fumes inside the boat, you don't need to be spending your time looking for a blower that probably isn't there anymore. Instead you need to find out where the fumes are leaking from.
            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
            X