Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best prop for 200hp yami on 1987 26' Mako?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best prop for 200hp yami on 1987 26' Mako?

I have a 1987 Mako CC with with twin 1987 200 HP Yamahas. At 4000 it cruises at approximately 26 knots and at wide open approximately 36 knots. I had almost a full load of fuel and I was the only one on board. The props are stainless and the only markings on them are 19M and 19ML. They are approximately 14" in diameter.

Can anyone tell me who makes these props and any suggestions as to what props I should be running?

I've noticed in a couple of old posts that much higher speed is possible.

Thanks,

Al Caletri
    Al Caletri[br]1987 26\' Mako CC[br]Narragansett, RI

Those wheels sound like the stock Yam wheels. Are they painted black (yes, they painted their s/s props) with relatively pointy tips? If so then they're stock Yam, and relatively speaking, suck.

Whe had the same wheels (19P)when we got our rig. We were topping out at 5-5100 rpm which was too low. Got close to 30 knots at 4000 with them.

Went with a pair of stillettos, dropped to 17P to get RPMs up, which they did. When you prop a boat, forget speed, look at your RPMs. You want to be at, or at least near, the top of your RPM range when at WOT and trimmed out. We top out at about 54-5500 now, amazingly, we did not lose any speed across the midrange (3-4K RPM), probably gained some top end. We do 29.+ knots at 4000 now, dont know top end speed. We gained ALOT of trim from these wheels, they have broader tips which is where you get your lift. Now have the ability to 'fly' the hull better when its flat out by trimming up.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

The description you gave seems to fit my props exactly with the exception of the paint. This may be due to the fact that I bought the boat used and the paint was completely, and I mean completely removed. I guess I may try a pair of the stilettos. Anyone know where I might get a used pair? Does anyoone have any other suggestions?
      Al Caletri[br]1987 26\' Mako CC[br]Narragansett, RI

Comment

FYI, I am told the Stilletto's and Michigan Raptures are very similar wheels

I know overtons will let you return wheels, even after you try them, as long as you dont ding them. They may not have the best price though, www.amarket.com (I think) had the best price when we bought ours. May want to ask them about their current return policy.
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Working...
        X