mako's consistant quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mako's consistant quality?

I've heard that in the 90's mako were not built as well as they had been previosly, is there any truth to this? If so what are the good years? I know that Tracker Marine bought them at some point and that they were going to start manufacturing them in Forrest City NC, closer to the mtns. than the coast, did they ever move there?

The early 1990's boats are great. Its the late 1990's that the quality has begun to become hit and miss, especially with certian models. The dealer and manufacture support has gone to pot as well.

They have been making their hulls in NC for about a year now.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

As Ed said, boats made in the the early 90s (90-95) were made in Miami while the Schwebke's still owned or part-owned the company. Tracker Marine bought them in '97 and has had problems. We're all hopeful the move to NC will help them get back up to speed.
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

As Ed said, boats made in the the early 90s (90-95) were made in Miami while the Schwebke's still owned or part-owned the company. Tracker Marine bought them in '97 and has had problems. We're all hopeful the move to NC will help them get back up to speed.

id="Times New Roman">

Although I am a new member I have been reading the posts here with great interest for several weeks. I am thinking of buying a new 221 but have heard there have been problems that have not been addressed because of a lack of dealer and manufacturer support. I know most of the members here are interested in the older boats but I would like to know what kind of problems to look for in the newer Tracker NC era boats.
        Mako 212[br]Monmouth Beach[br]New Jersey

Comment

Mike,

There's no magic list of things to check on a new Mako -- it's the same for every boat. Unfortunately, there are somethings that are almost impossible to catch -- that's what the warranty is for...

1. Take a look at the outside of the hull. Are there any "waves" or "ripples" in the gelcoat? What about blisters in the gelcoat? BTW, none are good!

2. Open and close every hatch/door and inspect each hinge/clasp. Are they solid? Do they close cleanly? Are the hatches finished off? Is everything mounted to the boat done so in a secure fashion?

3. Wiring. Is it marine tinned wiring? Is it neat and easy to trace?

4. Upholstry. Is it heavy duty? How's the stiching? My first Mako had a small tear in one of the forward cushions. When I pointed it out, the dealer swapped it out on the spot!

Just some things to look at. I know if I were to buy a new boat, I'd pay a marine surveyor to check it out before I took delivery.

Good Luck,

Tom
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

Mike,

There's no magic list of things to check on a new Mako -- it's the same for every boat. Unfortunately, there are somethings that are almost impossible to catch -- that's what the warranty is for...

1. Take a look at the outside of the hull. Are there any "waves" or "ripples" in the gelcoat? What about blisters in the gelcoat? BTW, none are good!

2. Open and close every hatch/door and inspect each hinge/clasp. Are they solid? Do they close cleanly? Are the hatches finished off? Is everything mounted to the boat done so in a secure fashion?

3. Wiring. Is it marine tinned wiring? Is it neat and easy to trace?

4. Upholstry. Is it heavy duty? How's the stiching? My first Mako had a small tear in one of the forward cushions. When I pointed it out, the dealer swapped it out on the spot!

Just some things to look at. I know if I were to buy a new boat, I'd pay a marine surveyor to check it out before I took delivery.

Good Luck,

Tom

Thanks Tom
            Mako 212[br]Monmouth Beach[br]New Jersey

Comment

Working...
            X