1989 Mako 231 CC vs. 1987 Mako 261 CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Mako 231 CC vs. 1987 Mako 261 CC

In your opinion, which of the above is a better riding hull? Also can Twin 2001 140 EFI Engines push the 261 cc......Thanks for your help.....Tim[]

Never been in a 23, but I think its a safe bet that the 261 is going to ride better. Its a hell of alot more boat.

As far as power, I think T-140s would be somewhat of a dog. Those four strokes are going to have to work awefully hard to keep her moving at a decent clip. To give you an idea, with T200s, we cruise a hair under 30 knots at 4000. When we repower, I'm leaning towards 225s. Not that I want to go faster (well, yes, I do) but the engines will have to work less to get me to that 30 knot cruise, and they'll burn less as well.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Naturally the 261 is going to ride better by its sheer size & weight difference, but the 231 is a damned fine hull as well. You are really comparing apples to oranges. The twin 140's would probably struggle on the 261. It is really meant for twin 175's or 200's ideally... Just my opinion. If I were you, I'd go for the 261... but thats just me. My next boat will be a Mako 261. When I do get a 261, I'll probably be thinking very hard about twin 225 or 250 Suzukis.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Makorider

Give something more than a pair of 200's some more thought. The 261 is rated for a total of 400HP -- if you power above that amount you may run into insurance problems. One of the guys in NEMOC with a 261 was about to repower w/225's checked with his carrier and found that they would not continue his policy if the boat carried more power than the stated max.

Capt. Vic

Six O Stretch 261CC T200 J's

Glimmer Glass, Manasquan / Milltown, NJ
        Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

I have a 1991 Mako 231 (with 19 degrees of deadrise at the transom) and it has a very nice and very dry ride. It is also very stable while drifting or at anchor. However, with that said...I would think that the Mako 261 (with 23 degrees of deadrise right?) is going to ride even better.

-Ed-

Comment

3Quarters

As stated in my post above the 261 is rated for 400 HP -- some of the guys I know with a pair of 175's on a 261 have them reving too high in order to move the boat. They burn 'em up sonner than ththose rigged with a pair of 200's. They just have to work too hard. It will cost more in the long run in costs of fuel, oil and replacement of overworked engines -- 140's JUST WON'T GET IT!! Take it from one who has had one since 1988.

Capt. Vic
            Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

Ed

The ride has to be tried to be believed. I was out in some real slop last Saturday 19 miles up and 19 back -- I wouldn't have done it in anything smaller. Also caught bass and blues.

Capt. Vic

Comment

The 140's will be a dog when you are loaded for a trip offshore and will be substandard if just running around. I would go 200's at a minimum and probably 225's. I also don't believe your insurance people give a damn about what you repower with, although if you charter there could be some liability if you exceed the max. rated HP. Just my opinion!!
                1992 261B[br]Beaufort SC

Comment

As Ringleader said, these are two completely different boats.

The 231 will run great with a single 225hp. It's 19 degrees of deadrise will allow it to run ok in a reasonable slop and still get on plane relatively quickly.

The Mako 261 is an offshore beast from the 80s and early 90s. 23 degrees of deadrise, a heavy hull, and an 8'6" beam significantly drive up the horsepower requirements. Don't forget, you're carrying a lot more fuel and passengers as well. Max hp on a 261 is 400hp -- and you need it. Twin 200's was/is the standard package hanging on the transom -- anything less and you won't be taking advantage of the boat's capabilities.

Good luck, both are great hull -- just figure out what you want the boat to do for you!

Tom
                  Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

The 400 hp rating is on the brink of underpowered as well... If that boat were made today the CG would probably rate it for 500 hp. Not sure, but its my best guess. I have been on a Mako 260 with twin 250 V Max Yamahas... In my opinion, that is the perfect HP for the boat. Lots of power, lots of go, less strain on the motors at cruise.

Hopefully I'll have one in a year or two.
                    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Vic,

Its my understanding insurance co's will generally give you 10% leeway, maybe more if you have your ticket.

What kind of numbers does North see with his 225 Johnsons?

Lastly, how'd you do in the tourney?? I wanted to go north as well, just with the weather didnt feel like taking the beating. Started outside the inlet where you and Stan were, then ended up down south, largest fish was maybe 34", and a ton of blues to piss everyone off and keep arms tired. Who won, one of the Belmar boys who was closer to the rocks? Heard some BIG fish were taken north of there early on.

Comment

Geoff

I received a call from Doug who had launched In Atlantic Highland and came around the Hook and was catching bass off Highlands Bridge. I was off Shark River at the time but like you I'm sure was into nothing but blues. Decided to make the run North.

We caught about 25 bass, all shorts but 2 about 6lbs each (one good enough for 3rd place). Doug had one about 6.5 lbs (good for 2nd). Stan had the winner at 16.1 lbs. He also had a 30" bass but under the State's crazy rulles that was not a keeper.

I assume you ended the day with the "blues".

Were you out this past Saturday? looks like it may have been a day to catch some bass closer to Squan.

Have a great holiday see you in January.

Not sure what Stan does other than feed the tank!

Vic

Comment

%$#^^&&@$%!!!!

We had a FAT slot, about 1/4" shy of 34" no matter how hard I squeezed the tail. Should have just boxed it. Riback was running the Queen Mary, gave me a call on the cell, he was up with all of us off Sea Girt and bailed to the south, as soon as he got there his fares jigged 4 40"+ fish. We picked up and as soon as we got there got into some of those 28"+ fish that you cant keep nowadays, and we didnt have tags.

Saw a guy at Hoffmans who fished "north of the rocks"...I suspect off the highlands bridge...said there was an early bite and he had some real nice fish, all seemed better than 40".

No, didnt make it out Saturday. Was recouperating after a wedding Friday night.

See ya out there Vic.

Comment

Working...
                          X