This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett,

Thanks for your quick response, I hope you all can attend. The funament dates for Crystal River are July 15th-18th at the Plantation Inn. There are room discounts for funament participants. We will have the Capts. meeting on Thur. night, Bills' prized Pizza and bingo Fri., and the dinner Sat. night. Sunday is relax,load and go day. Let me know if you or Bill need anything from my end.

B-Hive

Comment

• RunNgun

Congrats on your first Mako,you picked a great hull for your introduction. The 221 and its earlier cousin the 224 were some of our best sellers. The combination of size and single engine performance as well as being able to tow with most vehicles made her a great combination not mention being able to get you out to the big fish. You have hull number 622 certified complete in May 1994 as a 1994 model. Enjoy

luckyheights

Always a pleasure and thabks for your thoughts

B-Hive

Ill see what I can do and will get in touch with Bill to see what his schedule is and if he is in florida during July. Thanks for the itenerary and thanks again for keeping what we started so long ago thriving for new generations

Brett

Comment

• thanks brett

looking forward to mako on a mako!!

Gene
        1994 Mako 221[br]

Comment

• Hi Brett I have a 1984 254 and I just removed the fuel tank cover and removed all the foam top of the tank and the sides as well does the foam on top of the tank support the coffin cover or was it just the way mako did there tanks waiting for warmer weather to remove and inspect or replace

Thanks Bob K

1984 254

Boston Ma

Comment

• RunNgun

Enjoy and tight lines

Bwhaler217

Hi Bob when we foamed the tanks into the tank coffin on all makos it was done prior to installing the tank hatch. Our goal was to seal the gaps around the side and bottom to prevent water from puddling around the compartment. We left the tops free of foam so that fuel pickups and guages could be repaced in the field. The tank hatch was layed up to span the tank and still maintain a stiff floor.Hope that helps and goodluck

Brett

Comment

• Brett,

I was curious about the structure of the company. About how many employees did you have? I'm not sure who's idea it was (maybe yours?) to use owners boats in advertisements but it seemed like a very cool idea.

Comment

• Seaplane1978

It was a pretty simple company. Dad was the President and CEO.We had four Vice Presidents one executive (lanny Russ)One manufactering(I was the last) and one Finance and one sales. We typically had between 200 and 300 floor workers depending on the season (peak being March through November) and 15-20 office workers. Bill was based in WP Beach at Ande and handled the marketing, tournaments and photography. We averaged 125 dealers stateside with 5 reps for the different regions(North East, Mid Atlantic, panhandle, west coast and International). The commercial and Florida was handled from the factory. The use of owners boats started early and grew from the creativity of our owners and their great ideas. We wanted to show real people using real boats catching fish as oppossed to white boats and models backing down on bucket fish. We liked to think we provided a white canvas for the owners to make their own and it was up to us to showcase the possibilities in our ads and photography to foster ideas in future owners. When we introduced a new model we did it ourselves so that they looked liked an owners boat then took them to a funament and let the participants fish them while we took pictures. Another thing that led to lots of publicity was our writers tournamnets. We took all the sports writers fishing once a year and stocked the event with our owners participating with their boats in the event. We took them to great spots like Treasure Cay, Walkers Cay, Bimini, Hawks Cay, Panama,and the Caymans when fishing was perfect put different writers on the boats and took a ton of photos which we provided to all the participants. We found that throughout the years whenever these writers wrote about different technics or species they had volumes of photos to choose from which always showed makos. I can remeber times when a fishing magazine and might have 6 or 8 Makos shown in addition to our ad. It also brought a great time to our owners who got to fish with most of the great fisherman of our time including Classic Mako member George Poveromo.

Brett

Comment

• Brett,

First off a big THANKS to you for being part of this forum and for building these great boats we all love. My question to you is i have a 80' 236 and on the HIN plate there is a number on the far right that says 081. I assume that is the hull number. Do i have hull number 81 for all boats magde that year or hull 81 of all 236's made. See the picture attached

80\' 236 IB[br]Douglasville, Ga/Destin, FL[br]\"Yes I am a pirate 200yrs too late\"[br]North,East & West are directions SOUTH is a place![br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29651[br]

Comment

• JPAGE

No what you have is hull number 137. The sideways numbers reflect the model year with yours being an 1981 that was completed in November of 1980. Enjoy your 236 it was always one of my favorites

Brett

Comment

• hello Brett,

who better than you to ask this: will a 261 with enclosed transom and flotation bracket handle twins Yamaha four stroke (F-225) about 1166 pounds both motors. I saw a project here (Mark Hoffman) who did it but there's no much information in the averall performance.A local guy is selling them and I'm searching before i make a move.

Comment

• quote:

Originally posted by Triple Bogey

JPAGE

No what you have is hull number 137. The sideways numbers reflect the model year with yours being an 1981 that was completed in November of 1980. Enjoy your 236 it was always one of my favorites

Brett

Brett,

If I understand you correctly- 110010174M20- would be the first hull in 1974? What is the first 11 for?

Thanks!

Harry
                        1974 Mako 20\'[br]Ona, WV[br]

Comment

• almor

The max hp we allowed as rated by the coast guard was 400 hp so you would be exceeding that but I do not know anything about the 4 strokes as the largest made when I left was a 90hp suzuki. Is the 261 a cutout or does it have a factory bracket? Dont know if that makes a difference and wish I could remember the max weight allowed on the transom as that would be crucial to self bailing. Can you get the weights of the the 1990's 200 hp to use as a comparison. Let me know

hslicer

No you have hull number 1001 certified complete in January 1974. The 1st 1 designates that it was from our Miami factory which is kind of silly as we only had one factory but I guess it was for companies that had multiple factories. Enjoy

Brett

Comment

• Brett,

I just caught the list of names that Mako gave to the factory boats. Quite a list.[] You've mentioned in the past that you've been keeping your lines wet since the doors closed in Miami on a Mako or two. I'm wondering if you can expand on that and what ever happened to "Triple Bogey?" Also, does your Dad or a family member keep a Mako in the backyard?

Comment

• Brett:

Many thanks for your ongoing dedication here at Classic Mako[]. I have a few questions regarding the production years for the 224 model. Perhaps you could shed some light...

I have not seen many produced past 1984.

The current, to date Mako website (Tracker) lists the production model for the 224 as 1980-1988. Any thoughts? When did ya'all put to rest the 224? I believe the 224 was based upon the works of the 231 and then the 224 was put to rest due to the 221...not sure however[?][?].

I believe you previously stated the 224 carried the Mako legacy through most of the 80's and then in the 90's it was all about the bracket. I could be wrong, forgive me if I have mis-represented you.

The question remains how many 224 were produced up to 1984 and about how many post 1984? I have hull number 484. Does that mean I have the 484th 224 ever produced based on the 1984 model?

If the 224 was made from 1980 through 1988....where are they all? We see the vast majority here on CM from 81-84, a few mentioned from 1985, and one in 1987....and that is the end of the lineage?

How many 224's were made? I would think about 500 unless the production years 85-86-87-88 come foward...or they Mako/Tracker website is incorrect.

Thank you again...Long live the 224!..Such a "little"...."BIG" Mako
                              Restored 1984 Mako 224[br]Porta Bracket[br]2015 250 Evinrude E-tec[br]Ellenton, FL[br]Deck Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19090[br]Paint Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21493[br]Interior Restore Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30648[br]New Transom and Repower Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41093[br]Starboard Tackle Center Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46296

Comment

• [quote]Originally posted by Triple Bogey

almor

The max hp we allowed as rated by the coast guard was 400 hp so you would be exceeding that but I do not know anything about the 4 strokes as the largest made when I left was a 90hp suzuki. Is the 261 a cutout or does it have a factory bracket? Dont know if that makes a difference and wish I could remember the max weight allowed on the transom as that would be crucial to self bailing. Can you get the weights of the the 1990's 200 hp to use as a comparison. Let me know

the 261 is a cutout transom but it will be enclosed and a floatation bracket added, Ive seen some other manufactures making the drain line to discharge just below the bracket( under water) controlled by ball valve and I intend to do the same if self bailing is affected. there is close to 250 lbs difference between the older 200's and the f-225 four stroke. The guy from Armstrong bracket said they did two other makos like mine with no issues ( but they are the sales guy). The transom is 2 thick and since I will be re coring it should I go over to beef it up? I will be using marine plywood (meranti ) .

Comment

Working...
                                X