X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Bogey
    replied
    MakoFlats

While I was gone by then I believe they built the 171 flats introduced right before I left for a couple years. If so you have the updated 171 angler we aimed towards the bay/flats market. When I left we had bought along the Flats line to include the 151 as a tender, the 161 as a flats boat and of course the 25th anniversary 181 which could do bay and flats. My dad started with the 19 modified Vee as it suited what he fished back then. Bringing out the 181 in 1992 as my version of what my dad did in 1967 and seeing the success I felt it was time to dig into what I was calling coastal boats. We started with the original 17 angler which we got into production and had a new 20 and a 23 ready to get rolling in early 1995. The 20 and 23 were pure fishing designs with wide gunnels, low free board and everything needed to fish the coastal waters but still be able to sneak on the flats or take off the beach. When I left they were on the boards but guess they must of got tossed after I left. As to yours it is hull number 137 certified complete in October of 1996 as a 1997 model. The MRK should actually be MMI as by late 1995 the company had become public as Mako Marine International.

Brett

Leave a comment:

• MakoFlats
    replied
    Hey Guys,

New to the site, its really a great resource!

Quick request for some info. I just purchased a 1997 Mako 171 Flats. Can anyone shed some light on these boats as there is very little info out there. Seems like a great boat, originally out of Florida and now in NY.

Hull# MRK0137BJ697

Thanks a million!

-Dave

Leave a comment:

• mymako231
    replied
    Brett,

I think most of us on this forum are jaded, and that is a good thing.

George

Leave a comment:

• Triple Bogey
    replied
    SoCal-Scott

Glad to hear back from you and hope project is going well. There was no core or wood glassed in the hull laminate schedule on any of our models. The entire schedule was laid and then the stringers and transom were glassed in over the top. Once that was complete we did use a small block of wood in the bilge area to mount the bilge pump. 4 feet up in the keel will just be a whole bunch of fiberglass you will have to shoot through as you will have the entire schedule plus the 2 layers of 1 1/2 oz mat and 2 layers of 22 oz woven roven from the stringers to boot

mymako231

me too but I am jaded

Brett

Leave a comment:

• mymako231
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Triple Bogey

mymako231

Not sure what they did after I left as to warranty but its possible as most of my people were there for at least a year or more. I also heard but can't confirm that the public company brightened the formula for Mako White ( which was a off white) after I left which might help to explain the color difference

Brett

Thanks Brett, I like the original color better, LOL

Leave a comment:

• SoCal-Scott
    replied
    Hey Brett

Checking back in, I have the 1979 25 that I'm restoring in So Cal. Curious... Looking at in-hull transducers (that sound through fiberglass) to avoid cutting large holes in the hull if possible.

Did the 25 in 1979 have wood coring (or any kind of composite coring) in the hull? The area I'm considering is the small compartment in front of where the original fix box was in the transom (mine has been removed and converted to I/O. So... it's about 4 feet or so in from the back of the boat down in and around the V.

Thanks! Scott

Leave a comment:

• Triple Bogey
    replied
    mymako231

Not sure what they did after I left as to warranty but its possible as most of my people were there for at least a year or more. I also heard but can't confirm that the public company brightened the formula for Mako White ( which was a off white) after I left which might help to explain the color difference

Brett

Leave a comment:

• mymako231
    replied
    Brett,

Thank you, I appreciate your response.

I had no reason to doubt the original owner, and the hull is a brighter white than the topsides, so curiosity got me thinking about this and I reached out to you with my question.

Is it possible that the hull was replaced after the company went public? I am guessing not, as by that time, 1996, the warranty might have been over.

I'll look up the original owners name from my files, and see if that might bring on a memory.

Thank you again,

George

Leave a comment:

• Triple Bogey
    replied
    mymako231

Unfortunately there is no way to locate the warranty files as they were destroyed in 1992 during Hurricane Andrew. This was before the internet so it was old school paper type files and the water destroyed them. If we had replaced the hull it would of been during my time running the factory (1986-1995) and I don't remember replacing a 231 hull. I do remember doing a 224 that was about 10 years old at the time ( the gas tank pod was mounted to low and created a hard spot in the hull that failed, a 17 angler from the 70's( they wanted me to try and increase the fuel capacity)and a 254 that had just been delivered to the northeast where the foam blew out the side of the hull (it looked 7 months pregnant). Don't know if that helps but that's all i have registering in my mind

Brett

Leave a comment:

• mymako231
    replied
    Brett,

Hello, as you have heard many times, we all appreciate your efforts and the volumes of history that you have brought to us in these Classic Mako forum pages. I have allot of hours learning about the boats and your history creating them.

I own a 1989 M231, Hull #860. I bought this boat from the original owner in 2001. The boat is in very nice condition, still has it's original EVINRUDE 225 on it and we really enjoy the boat.

I did a mini makeover on the boat back in 2014, I learned allot about the boat during that time and came to appreciate the engineering in that wood free composite deck. There are some pictures posted in the thread that I have linked below. Unfortunately many of the pictures are no longer visible:

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=51515

When I bought it, the original owner told me that the hull had been replaced at the Mako factory when a delamination issue was found. I never doubted the story, and I am still enjoying an almost spotless hull with excellent gelcoat and a great shine after all these years.

My question for you is do you have any recollection or any way to determine when the hull was replaced?

I can be reached at gkcooper at earthlink dot net, for any response, as I have not been successful using the forum email process.

Thank you in advance,

George

Leave a comment:

• TheFishTank
    replied
    quote:

TheFishTank

the 18 backcountry was no doubt ahead of their time and pretty rare so nice find. I will look back on what I have but did check the photo albums on this site ( these are the four of the 6 factory scrap books I have) and in Album 3 there is an article on page 2 and another on page 3 as well as a copy of of one of the ads showing the model. Check those out and well done on finding one. Ill see what I can dig up as well

Brett

{LIKE!} Thank you!!!

Leave a comment:

• Triple Bogey
    replied
    TheFishTank

the 18 backcountry was no doubt ahead of their time and pretty rare so nice find. I will look back on what I have but did check the photo albums on this site ( these are the four of the 6 factory scrap books I have) and in Album 3 there is an article on page 2 and another on page 3 as well as a copy of of one of the ads showing the model. Check those out and well done on finding one. Ill see what I can dig up as well

Brett

Leave a comment:

• TheFishTank
    replied
    (sorry, I had originally posted this in the wrong area)

Hi Brett!

Do you have any information, scans of old brochures/marketing material, anecdotes, or ? about the Backcountry 18?

I have always loved the look of these rarities, and now that I actually own one, I am in love with this boat.

I did receive a copy of a great write up from newsprint named Lakeview Boating, circa May 1979 with the documents for my new-to-me boat...images are in my post "Proud new owner of a Backcountry 18" on this forum.

Thanks!

Don

Leave a comment:

• Triple Bogey
    replied
    rderrick

I am the son of the founder and ran the company from the late 80's through September 1995. I know the million dollar 17 well as I built it for my father. While it didn't cost a million dollars to build it had a special meaning to all of the workers at the plant since they knew it was for him. It was also the first production version of the updated 17 angler (this one is hull number three)as we did two prototypes before it. Its a standar Mako in every way except it has every option we could think of for him to fish it. It was in the plant for months as we kept adding things to it and the running joke was that we lost a million dollars building that boat for him due to loss production. In reality we didn't but the name stuck. It does have something that we did only once and that is a tri-color gelcoat hull. If it hasn't been painted over the original boat had a mint green upper hull and black boot strip and bright white lower hull. The original name was a sticker but doubt its survived the last 24 years

Enjoy your very special classic

Brett

Leave a comment:

• rderrick
    replied
    Brett, I found you on the forum someone said you were an original owner and i was hoping you could help me confirm something? i picked up a 1993 mako 171 called Million Dollar and was told it was built by the CEO for his dad or grandfather and was hoping i could confirm that to be true? the SN is MRKB0003C393. any info would be greatly appreciated! have a nice day

Ron Derrick
    quote:

Seaplane,

Total of three generations.

Model Years 1967-1996.(The Schwebkes)

Model years 1996-1998 became a public company known as Mako Marine International but the Schwebkes were no longer involved

Mid year 1998 to present Tracker Marine bought the parent company and took back private.

Hope that helps

Brett

Leave a comment:

Working...
X