This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brett,

Even way up here in Yankee land we have a deep appreciation and love for the wonderful, durable, classy & exceptional boats that your family built.

My kids have never known any other. Your design, content and packaging decisions made years ago are still generating pleasure and fun for a huge number of people. The modern day business tragedy you suffered was horrible, but the spirit you engineered into your products lives on to fight another day.

I truly hope you find a nice one.....and derive the happiness and fun from it that the rest of us do!

C W Hoyt
    C W Hoyt[br]1985 Mako 235, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66 [br]Massachusetts[br]

Comment

Brett,

I hope that I didn't draw you into something you didn't want to be sucked into. Although I must say that your detailed response(s) is very much appreciated and it is very clear that everyone here feels very close to your family. I think it is amazing that a boat that was so competitive became such a great sickness that no one wants to find a cure for. I really don't think that the quality and craftsmanship that is in an Classic Mako could survive in the modern day chopper gun special. .... My dad and I had a great conversation last night of how crazy the market was with Mako back in the day...with so many other boats like Aquasport, and Pro Line. Dad was very dramatic on how Mako basically kicked ass by producing the status quo of boats then.....How did your dad know how to dominate the market in the 70's & 80's?

Comment

Seaplane,mersiles,cwhoyt,mtpleasantmako,

Sorry for the delay in my reply,I had a last minute trip that I just returned from.I will look forward to seeing you at Jackalopes for that drink and while I have never been to glen ayre, I have heard it is spectacular as most of these mountains are. The 17 is a great boat and great size to teach your boys the ins and outs of boating, My favorite was the angler. I had a hull once with glass port holes port and starboard on the console, livewells off the transom and it had a light tan hull with a johnson 115, what a great boat. I would love to find that one as it was teh only one we did with the glass inserts.

It is good to hear from the northern Owners, we had some great dealers up there and when we get the last few scap books to ringleader you all will see that the north and north east were big Mako supporters from the beginning.In the early 70's we sold more boats there than any other market we had.I am gald that you have kept the tradition alive with your family.

I am having a great time reliving the past with your forum. It is bringing times and memories that I am enjoying revisiting. I am also glad that it seems to not only be bringing active discussion between my dad and myself regarding Mako but also with you all as well. It was a great time and the show that brings it back the most for me is Orange County Choppers (another nod to our friends in the north). Not only was my dad and I's relationship like Paul Sr's and Jr's sometimes loud but always based from a place of love and respect)we were producing things that could only be compared to our past. When you start a new boat and use as your goal being better than the 19 or 22 or 25 you are really setting yourself up for a challenge.In the beginning it was about gaining the trust of your customers. When they used our product we know that in some ways they were trusting us with there family and it was our job to get them out to the fish and bring them home safe. My dad is also a perfectionist and it wasn't ready till he said it was. When I started making my models it was my goal to bring him a new hull or a mofification to an existing so good there was nothing he could do but say yes. Through out or time we really never worried about what the other companies were doing. We felt that if we made sure our products met the demands of our customers and that we took care of our customers than they would take care of us. It didn't matter if you were the first or the tenth owner if your mako had a problenm we would fix it. We would then take that knowledge to the production floor the next day and try to prevent it from happening again. We did not do it so the owner would go tell people what we did, we did it because it was important that every Mako be right. when the other companies turned their sites on us it was to late as our owners trusted us and that is a stong bond as this site is proving.I do not know if that answered your question about the marketing plan for mako but it was the guide we used and coupled with the writers tournaments, the funaments(which in the beginning where just excuses to go fishing) we did a pretty good job of keeping evry one in rear view mirror. I guess the other constant was we never had to go far to get an answer. Other companies had layers of vp's and people protecting there jobs,I only had to go to my dad and say what do you think

or lets go run this new hull or we have a 15 year old hull coming in with a problem I need to fix and the answer was always immediate and it always favored the customer and never our bean counters. Stay in touch and thanks

Brett

Comment

Brett,

I have to join in with the others in welcoming you and thanking you for your input. It has been great to learn the story of a truly legendary line of boats. I grew up on Long Island Sound and it seemed that every kid had a Boston Whaler. My best friend had a 17 standard and we used to run circles around them and watch them nearly get thrown from the boat in anything over 1-2's.

Well, it took me 30 years, but now I've got my own '78 17 Angler and it is a labor of love for me. It's on it second transom and will be getting a third because the previous owners went screw happy with it and obviously didn't know what sealer or caulk was. She is a beautiful boat with classic lines and, even in it's current state of disrepair, get's compliments and I get approached all the time with people's stories about when they owned one.

I don't know what posessed your Dad to get into this business, but we are all thankful for his efforts. The quality standard was set by you guys and it raised the bar for other manufacturers. It's a shame what was done to your family and, subsequently, your wonderful line of boats. Alot of us have seen the abyssmal drop in quality and only recently seen them get their act together. Still, I see peeling tape boot stripes and loose hardware as well as seemingly oblivious attention to detail.

I would be exstatic to see you return to this business and would be very happy to be one of your early customers. When I'm finished restoring my Angler next year I'll be in the market for an offshore boat. It will be a toss up between a 241 or one of your new line. Since the Mako name is taken may I suggest "Classic" boats or the alternative names of "Hialeah" "Opa-Locka" or "Le Jeune" in respect to the old address of the factory.

Just wishful thinking. Thanks again from a grateful boating community.
          Tight lines, greasy hair & gin clear water[br]1978 17 Angler[br]1989 Yamaha 90ETLF[br]Boynton Beach, FL[br]\'56 40ft Dutch Orca steel ketch(one of three in existence)[br]in NY

Comment

Just to piggyback off of Sunlion333, an wishful thought crossed my mind that might could work. Perhaps a company could exist where a group would specialize in restoration of "classic" makos and/or other cult boats (ie Bertram 20'-28', SeaCraft, ect...) I believe that there are plenty of resources for something like that to work.

A more entertaining idea is to have a tv show like Overhauln' and watch a boat be fully restored in 7 days. I do like the idea of the throwback names honoring the old factory[^]

Comment

Brett,

Funny question, this weekend I was removing the teak steps on my half tower (mako 285) and underneath the second highest step on the port side was a piece of tape marked "Tavenier #152". Was this the production number of my boat? OR do you have any idea what it is?

Oh and next time I am up that way, I will buy you one of those Wet Burrito's at the Blowing Rock Cafe. Those thing are HUGE and full of meat and cheese.

Michael
              [br]Largo, Florida[br]1988 285 DC[br]2008 Suzuki 4 Stroke 300HP[br]Boat Name = \"Religious Fin Addict\"[br]Picture slideshow of restoration at:[br]http://picasaweb.google.com/ReligiousFinAddict/StartToSplashInLessThanOneYear[br]Read how my installation was from Diamond Suzuki of New Smyrna Beach at www.diamondsuzuki.net[br]Check out www.MarineSupplyDock.com - if you need something you can\'t find, email me, we can get it.

Comment

Brett, You're probably tired of hearing it, but I echo again thanks to your family for a great boat and company. I have a 1985 21B and miss the old funaments up here in MA.

I was just re-reading some of mako prochures and woundering who owned or what happened to the "regulars" from each year such as

-Triple bogey and Double bogey (one with "shaking graphics)

(one with a green hull and green Evinrudes)

-Storyteller (2 versions)

-Water rat (20 ' with twins if I remember)

-etc.

Obviously, the first must have been in your family. Any other names you can give any history on? Hopefully you'll stay around this site. This is by far the most friendly, helpfull bunch you'll find on the net and your insight/answers would be always welcomed.

-John
                Weir Mako 21[br]1985 21B[br]Project 21B [br] http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=32089[br]Project 25 Contender [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=55759 [br][br]

Comment

Brett,

There are more than a few folks that find the 36 very current in style, and function.

I'm sure that that hull was not part of the deal with Tracker.

She is available for a plug or mold.

My contribution to the thought process.

Capt. Al Bernetti

"The Rarest Mako"

www.teenanglers.org

Comment

Brett,

Man this is too cool to see you on this site. Memories galore. I met you at Ocean Reef or Plantation Key...I can't remember. When talking about the good ole days..the Schwebke family name always pops up in conversations around my family household. My dad has owned three Makos..and still has '86 254 from Pioneer Marine, my brother once owned the 18 Backcountry, and I'm on my second 17. It says a lot about you that you would be so responsive on this site. You've just added even more value to the site, and it was already through the roof.

Do you remember Bill Munro taking a 17 to Walkers? Nasty seas...had to tow it half way over...console came unscrewed from the floor? I wasn't there but remember the story. I email Bill from time to time. What a great deal Mako had going on in those days.

Tell your family...thanks for the greatest boating/fishing memories that anybody could have. I know that I feel amazingly blessed that my dad bought a 22 in '72 and has owned a Mako ever since. Not many people that boat today know what they missed. God Bless to you and your family! We should all get together and celebrate the memories...and make some more. Many thanks from the Cooper family!
                    [br]1980 Custom Mako 20, 150 HO G2[br]Statham, GA

Comment

Hey Mako36,

I love your boat. I bet Brett has a few stories about that hull. Glad to see you have kept her up and running![]

Comment

Seaplane1978

I've owned her for 11 years now.

She's survived Hurricanes Francis, Jeanne, and Wilma.

She fishes great, and doesn't eat me out of house & home.

I've fished her from Florida, Bahamas, Cuba, Best day 4 Blue Marlin

out of Walker's in one afternoon.

Capt. Al Bernetti

"The Rarest Mako"

www.teenanglers.org

Comment

Mako36,

Can you bring her to the fundament in Destin?

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes and support.I will try and get to all these in a single reply so here we go

Sunlion33,

I remember doing the same thing to my friends in their whalers. I actually liked running them in the intercoastal as they were so light we could jump wakes and get serious air something that was not possible in my Mako's. Congrats on the angler,it is a great hull. I have asked my dad many times two questions that many have asked me what made him start Mako and why the name Mako. The answers always had variations but always two constants.In the 1960's nobody built anything that suited his fishing needs,took into account his size and his budget.So he built what he wanted and then his friends all wanted one, so he built them one also. He decided to see if other people might be interested so he took it to a show and took a few hundred orders and It bagan ( the first photo of this boat and dad at the show will soon be on this site soon coutesy of ringleader). Why mako,he was fishing in a friends sport fish,they caught a small mako (about 30 lbs) and threw it in the well. A few minutes later it jumped out of the well and started taking chunks out of the teak deck and everything else it could before jumping back in the ocean and swimming away. Tough shark he thought and the name stuck. The 241 you spoke of is a great hull and is probably the best option as the opportunity for me to start a new hull has probably passed although I never say never.

Seaplane1978, a boat in 7 days would be tough but we used to say that about houses and cars,Chip Foose in the man for cars but I think this site has the talents to fix any of the boats you mentioned,I wish we had it when we were building boats as some of the ideas and photos I have seen are incredible.

Michael what is the mrk #of your hull, If you see a 0152 in it then I would have to say yes. We jigged each tower that we built on site to each boat as sometimes the foam moved things slightly from model to model.I will take you up on the burrito when you are in ther area

Weir Mako. Great names from the past and all had factory connections.

Double Bogey ( the prototype 241) and Triple Bogey ( the prototype 261b) were boats that I used ( I also had Drop Back on the 261 prototype, T-Bone on the prototype 181 and first light on the 17 angler I built for my dad). Storyteller was for a friend that we built a 250 cabin and then a mint green 231, Water rats and there were several was always Bill Munro. Necessary Roughness was a friends 261b that I fished from after Triple Bogey barrel rolled down I-95 and Irassible was a shot a Barnett Bank after a not so pleasant meeting. We also named several photo boats after employees as kind of our version of an employee of the month,They included,Yo Shively, Roly jr, Miss Dawn and Foxy Roxy to name a few.

Mako 36,That is a great hull and a concept that was copied by many but done best ( but not as good as yours) by Garlington in a 44 footer. If I were to start I would have to stay in the 21-25 foot range so that it could be pushed with either a single of twin, but a great Idea anyway.That hull was one fish catching machine and we cought fish everywhere we went, Best day, hooked 18 sails in 45 minutes off hillsboro beach. worst day was the same as we lost every one to rotten line (not ande).

leggomymako Great line up a 254 a 18 back country and the 17's. All classics but the 18 backcountry still one of my favorites alltime. way ahead of its time and a real pain in the rear to build. I remember the 17 that he pulled apart on that crossing as well as a 181 flats that he submarined in 1992. Bill is and was the best. He is the definition of the saying, life is in the journey not the destination and he took along thousands for some of the best journeys ever. I speak to him a couple times a year and I will send regards. Look forward to seeing you again at a funament and my best to your family

Brett

Comment

Brett,

One last question and I promise I will try to lay off the questions.....Are there any records that exist concerning hull numbers? I posted a similar thread under a different forum and it didn't get very far. I'm just curious of maybe any history on our hull (the dealer it was sold though, original engine configuration, ect..) Again, thank you for your time and detailed answers. We all are enjoying the hell outta this!!!! [)][]

Comment

Seaplane1978,

I'd love to make it to the funament, but all summer we work up north with the Teen Angler organization, New York, New Jersey, Penn.,

and this year is pretty booked up for the teens.

Sometime I hope to get her there, but she has to come on her own bottom. I hear the fishing is great up in that area.Speaking of Bill Munro, he has been a supporter of our teens since I created the organization 8 years ago.

Capt. Al Bernetti

"The Rarest Mako"

www.teenanglers.org

Ft. Pierce Fl.

Comment

Working...
                                X