This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's bring this back to the top.

I'll be looking at some salvaged 171 parts tomorrow, anybody have a wish list?

Comment

• Mako bow light

transom boarding ladder

newer inspection port lids. mine are real chalky.

thanks.
      Mako 171 Dunedin Fla.

Comment

• Turns out it's a 1997. Only parts are windshield, bowrail and console handrail. The owner needed to remove them to fit boat in garage. So much for 7' high garage doors.

I'll view Mon. pm and post a report.

Comment

• quote:

Originally posted by kahunastev

Mako bow light

transom boarding ladder

newer inspection port lids. mine are real chalky.

thanks.

The bow light is a perko. Google hamilton marine they carry them
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

• ahill,

Was there a hatch for the console, or the front opening? Currently I have one, but need another. Mine is tan, but will settle for what ever.

Thanks,

Regards,
            \"Fair Winds and Following Seas\"[br]1992 171 \"Thor\'s Hammer\" Sold[br][br]Thom[br]Belle Chasse, LA

Comment

• Hi Brett,

I Like so many here at CM have I enjoyed so much getting to know you by reading this thread and learning so much about the history of our Mako's. I have held off asking you any questions because I didn't want to overload you or be selfish. But here I go...

I had been wanting a Mako for many years and about 2 years ago I got serious about finding one. I was in love with the 211's. I went round and round about what age and condition I wanted. I looked at alot of boats, but was either disappointed or was not in a position to jump when I found a good one.

Anyway,last year before summer I was ready to make the move and of course I could not find a 211/21 that I felt good about. So I started looking beyond the 21's. When I did I found a 1992 221 that was at Ingman Marine down in Port Charlotte. They had sold the boat new and had kept it in storage unused for the last 5 years for its only owner before he decided to sell it.He lived in NJ and just never used it.

I drove down there and found that she was in really good shape so I brought her back and began enjoying her and of course spending money on her!!

I am sorry to ramble here. Anyway, I am so glad that I didn't find a 211 because I really appreciate the additional 10" in LOA.I really love the boat. The size and layout is absolutely perfect for me and my family. If I could blink my eyes and change one thing about it, I think I would like for it to have been a "b" model, but its not so no big deal..

I am just curious about the evolution of the 221 and any specific thoughts or opinions that you have about this model?

Thanks again for sharing with us and enhancing out Mako experience!!
              M \"n\" M (Mako \"n\" Memories)[br]1992 221 Mako[br]1992 Yamaha 200[br]Mobile, AL

Comment

• Did this thread die??
                M \"n\" M (Mako \"n\" Memories)[br]1992 221 Mako[br]1992 Yamaha 200[br]Mobile, AL

Comment

• Brett,

Great to have you aboard the website and providing us Mako owners some unbelievable amount of history of these great boats.

My question for you, and I apologize if it was covered on any of the previousl pages, was related to the model's 232. I have a 1996 that is in great shape and I absolutely love this boat. One of your fiest threads said that the 1996's could have either been a 1st or 2nd generation Mako...how can I tell?

Thanks,

EXBULL21

1996 Mako 232

2008 Suzuki 225 4-Stroke

Comment

• Brett,

Do you by chance know the transom angle and deadrise of the

88' 285? It is missing from the Mako site. It also appears that the last 6 inches of my 285 rise up about 1/2 inch. It is not a "Hollow"

just a taper strait and solid.

Thanks,

Victor
                    Chicago& Racine[br]1983 254 twin 225\'s http:///2540picasaweb.google.com/VJChigas2?feat=directlink[br]1988 285 twin 300\'s http://picasaweb.google.com/VJChigas/285?feat=directlink

Comment

• Brett,

WOW. I just found this site and this thread, and spent all day reading all of the posts. I can't say how glad I am that I found it, and you are on here with intimate details of our beloved boats. I have found many answers to my questions reading your informitive posts. I am the proud owner of a 93 233. I live in the northeast, new jersey, and the seas are rarely calm. My Mako always sees me home safely. OK, now for a question I though I would never find an answer too. My 233 has fishboxes in the hull with a macerator pumpout. Both fishboxes are connected to a T fitting that goes to a thru hull and also to the pump and out. Whay was this the design, and how am I to use it? If I open the thru hull the boxes fill 1/3 to 1/2 way with sea water. If I leave it closed (as I do) they fill with rain water to an overflow state (not that it matters, it would take a lot to sink this sucker!). I just always wondered about this. Also, do you know how many 233 you produced? I do not see many others, but always get complimented on mine. Again, thanks for taking the time to enlighten us all!

Rob

Comment

• Oh damn. Okay I'll admit it.... I am missing my "Brett news" here.

I really hope we didn't scare him away.....maybe he's taken some time of to go find a really nice old Mako to rehab.

Brett...come back to us, you are so valuable, so fascinating. Such a unique asset to all of us Mako junkies.

A class guy in a troubling world. We need more like you.
                        C W Hoyt[br]1985 Mako 235, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66 [br]Massachusetts[br]

Comment

• Hello again,

Sorry for my absense but I have just returned from a month out west, I will get to all the unanswered questions starting tommorrow but I wanted to apologize for my lack of responses and thank you all for keeping the thread going, I thought I would have service on my trip but was unable to do so. I look forward to getting back on track so keep the questions coming and I will get my memory cranked up again.

Brett

Comment

• Welcome back Brett!!!!!!1

Comment

• Woo Hoo...Brett is back!!!!

Comment

• aveorb and adam

Glad to be back

cwhoyt

Thanks for the kind words and you will find me hard to get rid of

averob

the 233 is a great hull. We atarted them in Model year 1992 as part of the 25th anniversary line up . In 1996 it was renamed the 243 and I do not know how long it stayed in the line after I left. We built one a week for that period so I would guess about 200 hulls.We have run the below deck wells several ways but decided on the pump system as it seemed the best way to clean out the boxes once you clean the catch When we took them straight out the hull they typically blocked and draining them took for ever. With the pumps both in water and on trailer you could hose out and pump out the remnants.I always left them open and put a bailers plug in them until it was time for clean out and them pulled the plugs flipped the swith and when clean put the plugs back in.

vjm25

I do not recall the exact specs on the 88's but I do remember the mid 90's. We had two hulls a "A" and a "B" one was the modified bottom with a 13 degree deadrise and one was a deep vee with a 24. The transom angle was dictated by the ungine companies and I know the mid 90's models was 19 degrees. You might want to check with gemaffair as he just rebuilt one about this vintage. hope this helps

Send me a photo with the rise you spoke of as that is confusing to me

EXBULL21

The 232 is a great hull and its origins go all the way back to the 224. No matter what we did to it it just kept getting better and better. The best way to tell its generation is to send me a photo of the transom and console or you could send me the hull id number and I can identify from that. enjoy your hull it is a classic

adam

The 221 is like I said above, a classic. It started as a 224 back in 1980 and evolved into the 231, we then brought it back to the 221 and added the brackets. For single engine use in all configurations there are non better. All in all it was in the line for almost 20 years before some one had the bright idea to drop it which in itself ranks only a bit dumber than adding stakes to the 17's.I cant say enough about the hull I ran them harder than most could ever dream and usually with more engine than I should. Enjoy

Heyspike,

Let us know when you fing yours and we look forward to hearing bout the maiden voyage

dodge,

we are stilling doing well in our market as it is a small niche that so far as been insulated, I see a softening in the condo market and with the overpriced stuff but the remodels are gaining steam. Hope yours turn around soon but teh next few months are going to be tough on everything except beer and cigerattes

Brett

Comment

Working...
                                X