This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brett,

In your profile you elude to possibly buying another boat. So, would one guess that you would buy one of the two you listed above? Or something else? Just curious.

Michael
    [br]Largo, Florida[br]1988 285 DC[br]2008 Suzuki 4 Stroke 300HP[br]Boat Name = \"Religious Fin Addict\"[br]Picture slideshow of restoration at:[br]http://picasaweb.google.com/ReligiousFinAddict/StartToSplashInLessThanOneYear[br]Read how my installation was from Diamond Suzuki of New Smyrna Beach at www.diamondsuzuki.net[br]Check out www.MarineSupplyDock.com - if you need something you can\'t find, email me, we can get it.

Comment

Brett, I hate to hassel you with all the questions, but have you and your dad Built or thought about Building another Boat for yourselves?
      Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

Brett,

Just wondering myself, is your dad's original "first" mako still around?

This might be too much off the deep end, but if enough support was out there, could or would the family consider production, with a limited number per year, under the name "Classic Mako"?[)] I know a guy who makes great switch panels. []

Comment

Seaplane, Stoken and GEMaffair,

In 1990 I spent two years trying to locate any of the first 10-15 19's so that I could rebuild it and give it to Dad on the 25th anniversary of Mako. I was not able to find one so instead I designed and introduced the 181 flats as my version of what he built in 1967. Kind of like a father and son retrospect in fiberglass. He and I took the first 181 flats and a production 19 to the keys and made it a weekend of fishing favorite spots. Much like his first Makos which were built for friends (Dad was a surveyor by trade)the flats boats became popular and we built a few hundred of them before Tracker opted for the silverking instead and dropped my version.I would love to find one of each and hope to someday do that. In the mean time I am looking for a 21-23 to get back in the water. I do not think Tracker would have much of a sense of humor about us building something and naming it any thing close to Mako. I have talked with an old Mako dealer about working with a locally owned family boat builder but so far the upfront cost has been to great a gap to justify,so I am going to do what you all do and find what I want and make it mine.

Brett

Comment

• Mako 181
            Mako 181 commented
            Editing a comment
            Love my 1993 Mako181 !

Brett,

I’ve had the pleasure of owning 3 new Makos in my life, the first one being a ’82 20B, followed by a ’87 236 & ’94 261. All three of these boats along with the years of attending owner’s funaments has given me and my family a life full of fond memories and many new friends. Every year I looked forward to seeing my “extended family” and catching up on their lives. I’ve seen the small children grow up, celebrated the birth of the newest members and felt the pain as we shared the lost of loved ones. During those years owning a Mako somehow meant more than just owning a boat, you became part of something much bigger and then of course there was always Bill Munro…if he wasn’t locking his keys in the rental car or missing a flight, he always had some good story to share. And last but not least was the boats that your dad built, they brought me home in weather that I never should have been in, they stood up to the abuse and they helped make me a better fisherman. Your family set the standards that everybody else follows today. You should be proud.

Wes
          Baltimore, MD[br]1972 WellCraft 16\' Sold[br]1982 Mako 20B Sold[br]1987 Mako 236IB Sold[br]1994 Mako 261 Sold[br]1984 ChrisCraft 28 Sold[br]1995 Boston Whaler 17\'

Comment

Wes,

That is quite a line up of Mako's over the years. As a teenager we had an "83" 20 that I used to catch all my friends their first sails. We used the factory 236 on most of our crossings to Bimini as nothing beats the steady ride and rumble of a single screw inboard. The 261's started during my time with Mako and with that one we really had a hull that could make you feel bulletproof (sometimes not a good thing) The funaments started as an excuse to go fishing and grew into something no one could of imagined. Bill Munro is /was the best at taking our owners and bringing them along for the ride, where ever it might take them. Some adventures came off with out a hitch, others didn't. Either way it didn't matter with the one and only "Water Rat" leading the way. We have watched generations grow up on our boats and find great pleasure seeing that the tradition continues.

Thanks for your kind words

Brett

Comment

Yeah Brett, I doubt they would have much of a sense of humor due to the competition being too great and having to close their doors. [] Hahah....can't wait to see your project when you get it.

Comment

Yeah, I went on their site tonight for the first time ever, Kind of depressing. I am in the look mode and when I find it,I will post under projects.I now know where to get the parts and some great ideas thanks to you all.I am looking forward to getting started.

Brett

Comment

Brett,

My family and I also wish to thank your family for producing such a great line of boats and for the great memories we have from attending the many funaments over the years. To make a very long story short my sons grew up learning to fish and boat out of our 191. The boat looks almost a good today and rides as well as she did the day we proudly brought her home in 1992. I look forward to my grandson catching his first fish from that boat. My sons and I still make an annual trip to Port Aransas (Texas) each summer. This tradition began in the 90's attending the Mako Funaments. I even still have some of the funament t-shirts. (I just can't let go of a good mako product.)[]
                  Full Moon[br]\'91 191[br]Friendswood, TX

Comment

SBaker1404,

I love Texas, I was at two of the Port A tournaments in the early 1990's, I do not remember the names where we held the Funamants but the first one was in Port Aransas at a Boat Ramp/Marina/Bait across the street from a Whataburger( a most appropriate name as I think I gained ten pounds that weekend), The next year it was at a resort off the coast further south that had a Tiki bar in the swimming pool with sat tv(it was great spot to monitor the radio). Glad the 191 is still treating you good and no reason to let go of a good thing.

Brett

Comment

Brett - I'm joining a little late to the discussion but as Chuck said - welcome to Classic Mako. It's been very interesting reading your replies and stories, so please don't stop! I'm not sure where you live now, but you would be more then welcome to come to Destin Funament in June. [8D]
                      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

Brett,

Thanks for joining and taking the time to reply. It is fantastic to read some of the history behind Mako. I share a similar story to yours in that my family’s furniture business went through very similar issues. It can be a strange sense of pride and frustration.

I also noted your location in the profile. My parents are up at Beech and have had a home there since 1976. The western Carolinas (Highlands) are undoubtedly “Gods Country”. Truly a small world.
                        \'98 Mako 191[br]150 Merc[br]Hobe Sound, Fl[br]Looking for a Pursuit 2870 Offshore.

Comment

Sailor and Mersiles,

It is strange but also very warming to be talking about things that I had thought were only in the past for my family. My kids see the photo's and the Mako items that I saved when I left but I never thought I would be able to take them to a Mako funament. I will not be able to make Destin this year as my brother is getting married that weekend but I am making plans to come to one of them next year. In the mean time I better get busy finding my project boat so I do not have to show up in a canoe.

Mersiles.

Small world indeed, I live about 5 miles from your parents house in North Carolina and have a friend from Florida who's parents have a home below Fred's. Next time you are in the area let me know, we will get together and swap Mako stories.

Brett

Comment

Brett,

Next time we are in town I will let you know. I will buy you a drink at Jackalope’s [8D]

If your friend is down from Fred’s then they are very close to my parents. They were off of Skiway Cir. You can ask him if he knows the Rowe’s.

Thanks again,
                            \'98 Mako 191[br]150 Merc[br]Hobe Sound, Fl[br]Looking for a Pursuit 2870 Offshore.

Comment

Brett,

thanks for your recollections. very informative and interesting. i live in the lowcountry most of the year but also spend some time in your neck of the woods. a little place called glen ayre, nc. it is said that God lives down here in the winter and up there during the summer. i am trying to maintain my 1991 17 and have 2 sons who are earning their sealegs helping the old man. take care and welcome to the best forum on the internet.

Joe
                              91 17 standard[br]mt pleasant sc[br]115 yamaha[br]got mako?[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X