Mako 285 water over transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 285 water over transom

I have a 21 Mako. I'm considering going to a 285, its size & layout suit me and my wife. However, I've heard & read that some 285's have a problem taking on water at the back when sitting still or drifting. I've never been in a 285. Had a 254 once that tended to keep water at the back if I filled the fuel tank, otherwise it was great.

Rather not have to keep it in gear to keep the water out. Looking at '86 or '87 year with twin 250 outboards. Appreciate the input.

Put a bracket on it. I ran one or did until now. It is a great boat to put an armstrong on.
    Slidell, La

Comment

etmorfish,

I would be more afraid of the problem that some of the newer 28' Mako's have. I don't have the link handy but the USCG has forced Tracker Marine to do a recall on some of those boats. From what I'm hearing they really didn't include all the year models that they needed to.
      Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

CptnC,

You are correct about the newers ones but the one etmorfish is referencing is a totally different boat.
        SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

I didn't see anything about the year model and I am not up on the which model number the one is that everyone should stay away from.
          Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, it's the 282 that is the problem. The 285's were from the 80's and considered great hulls.
            SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Yes,

Mako converted the 261 into an integrated bracket boat around 94 or 95 and called it the 282. Mako did not do a very good job of integrating the bracket and they fall apart. There are a lot on the market right now.

The 285 is supposed to be a great boat in a head on sea but not so good in a following sea. I have never heard anything about water over the transom. Like others have said that would be a perfect boat to close the transom in and put a bracket on. I saw one a couple of weeks ago here in Miami where they had done that and it looked good.

Cliff
              Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Thanks for the input. I had read of a law suit against Mako for a 285-B that took on water when at rest. I didn't know whether it was a design problem for the 285 or a problem for that specific boat. I also don't know the year of the 285-B. The "B" doesn't stand for bracket. Not much point in asking Mako about such things.

I agree that closing in the transom would fix the problem. But that means $$$. I fished for several years out of a friend's 28' Ocean Master. Similar hull design except for a sharper entry, a little wider & heaver. It did not get pushed around by following seas. Maybe its not apples & apples.

Thanks again for the input.

ETMORFISH

Hoping my favorite ramp will be re-built.

Comment

I really didnt care for the ride of the 285 mako. It just didnt do it for me. I do like the boat but didnt like fishing it in rough water which for me is a solid 4 foot chop.
                  Slidell, La

Comment

Working...
                  X