Bilge Plumbing in 254 Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Plumbing in 254 Mako

Looking for advise as to how to remove the gate valve thru hull fitting in my '77 Make 25'. It's got a screw type gate valve thru the transom, and the handle stem has broken inside the housing in the open position. Has a bronze mushroom fitting on outside of the hull that embedded with a waterproofing and tight as hell. Haven't found the proper tool to get with it. Any idea?

Gumbo

I'm assuming you mean a ball valve with a lever that cocks back and forth to open and close the valve. the handle has rusted and broken off.

The ball valve is one complete unit that is threaded on to the thru hull fitting (bronze mushroom fitting that leads to the outside). Just take a plumbers wrench and twist the old ball valve off. Take it to your nearest marine supply store and match with a new one the same size. Go to home depot and pickup some plumbers tape. go to Kroger and pick-up a 12pack of beer. Go home wrap the plumbers tape twice around the thread of the ball valve and screw back onto the thru hull fitting (bronze mushroom fitting that leads to the outside). re-attach your hose and clamp back down. Drink 12 pack and call it a day.

good luck and have fun.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

That's not the valve I have, this is a true gate valve similar to a large bronze outside faucet. The mushroom fitting is on the outside of the hull, inside it's a threaded pipe and this large L shaped bronze gate valve nothing to twist off on the side but the flex hose attach from the forward areas of the hull.

Comment

aga wah!?!?!? is that factory?
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

The mushroom "thing" is a bronze fastwater pick-up. In addition to the threaded shank to which the sea cock (valve with the 90° handle) is attached, if it's a standard pick up it will also have three countersunk holes around the flange which accomodate flathead screws through bolted through the hull. That may be the problem with not being able toremove the through hull fitting. Chaeck it out that may be the problem.

Capt VIc

Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js
          Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

One of my sons has asked me to respond to this. Looking inside the Bronze thru-hull fitting,from the transom, are there two ridges protruding from the sides?
            Charles-Pearland,TX
            Sea Reel- 1977 Mako 25 SOLD
            Phe Phe's 17- 1978 Mako 17 Standard-in TX

Comment

That is correct. I've seen a tool in the past to insert inside of it to grab those tits sticking out. I just can't find the tool.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

That is correct. I've seen a tool in the past to insert inside of it to grab those tits sticking out. I just can't find the tool.

Charles-Pearland,TX

Comment

(Sorry about that!)

What we have successfully used, is either a piece of steel, or thick aluminum, and we may have tried a thick piece of oak, from the transom side (to wedge between the ridges) and a spanner wrench on the inside. Having someone hold the spanner wrench in place, then the piece inserted from the transom side can be used to back the thru-hull out. Sometines whe have had to disassemble the gate valve to make the turns. the gate valve will have to come off first before the thru-hull fitting will come out. Once that is done be sure to use 3-M 5200(or similar) to caulk and fill the threads for reinstallation.
                  Charles-Pearland,TX

Comment

Dlsgumbo-

My buddy had the same problem on his 254 when he replaced all of the plumbing and thru-hull fittings last year.

The easiest way to take it off is take a grinding wheel or cutting wheel and CAREFULLY cut off the head of the thru-hull fitting from the outside of the boat. It is not a bad idea to mask off area with several layers of duct tape in case you're hand is a little shaky.

Once you cut it off, take a plastic hammer or small piece of wood and knock it thru into the bilge.

After that reinstall all new bronze fittings, hoses and bronze ball check valves and you're boat will be better and safer than new.

-Ed-

Comment

Thanks to all, yes the mushroom fitting has the protruding ridges. I've used different wedges to try breaking it loose. No joy, the grinding is something I'll have to consider. I'll wait a while to consider any ideas. Glad I was told about Classic Mako, have already picked up so good ideas

Thanks

DlsGumbo

Comment

Working...
                      X