• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I reading this right????

Does the description really say TWIN 225 MERCS?????? [][][]

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...95&slim=quick&

Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Sure does say twin 225's.......and if you look at picture 4, you can see that they have cracked the transom over the years and it is now covered with aluminum. Regardless, that thing most honk....I am thinking close to 60mph.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...hoto+4&photo=4

ED

Comment

There is a point with any boat where you gain no more speed regardless of how much horsepower you put on the back of it. That rig has probably crossed the line. I am actually wondering if that is a typo. The hull is identical to mine and I have a single V6 225 Johnson and there is no way that 2 of them would fit side by side on the transom. They would be too wide. Perhaps those are 125 hp motors. There are no close-ups of the motors but they don'y look big enough to be 225s. That hull by the way is only rated for up to twin 120 hp motors. I have gotten 52 mph on the GPS out of my rig with a nearly empty fuel tank and no gear or people on the boat. That is with a single 225.

Comment

But, those old Merc I-6s sure were skinny! They should be awhole lot skinnier then you Johnson!
        Sonny[br][br]1962 16\' Boston Whaler Nauset[br]\"If peope concentrated on the important things in life there would be a severe shortage of fishing poles.\"[br]Mobile, Alabama

Comment

I have a 224 w/ an '86 Merc 200. There is easily enough room in that giant hole back there for another one. The old merc have to be the noisiest motor on the planet... w/ two of them I'm sure the guy is selling it because he is deaf now.

Maybe it goes fast enough to outrun the sound???

Comment

Rated for 250. 450 is a bit over kill. only about 100 Gal of gas, wouldn't make it past the first Texaco Tanker. Maybe twin 150's at the most would be acceptable. Nice boat......power theme sucks.

Comment

Sonny,

Believe it or not, those 225 are V6s. [] Merc's and Suzuki's V6 motors have always been skinny compared to the other manufacturers. They use a 60 degree config. where others use 90 degree.
              Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Are they really? I didnt know that! I just assumed all of those skinny mercs were I-6s.[]
                Sonny[br][br]1962 16\' Boston Whaler Nauset[br]\"If peope concentrated on the important things in life there would be a severe shortage of fishing poles.\"[br]Mobile, Alabama

Comment

Yep, they sure are.

I like to think of it this way. When I was in college, not married and running a lot, I was skinny, like a Merc.

Now that I am married, with 2 kids, working a full time job and fishing as much as I can on weekends, I've turned in to a big, fat OMC!!! []
                  Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

HeHe That's funny Brian[]

Comment

wow. My buddy used to have a Mako 241 with twin 225 black max's. His boat had a nice tower with tower mounted outriggers with single spreaders. I'll never forgot coming through Destin pass after a day of billfishing, 50's stuck every where and passing about a 24' cigarette boat. The guy tried to keep up, but we were running almost 60. I can't imagine what this boat would run.
                      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                      1985 Mako 20c - sold
                      Fort Walton Beach, FL
                      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

My scuppers are in the water on my 224 with a single 225 on the back. One good wave and that rig would be upside-down and backwards.

Comment

Working...
                        X