water in bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in bracket

Definately hearing the unmistakable sound of water sloshing around the bracket of my 223-b..anyone ever hear of this..the small allen head screw at the bottom of bracket is un-removable..no inspection plate on top..all i can think of is new motor bolts,even though they look

sealed ,must be leaking.any comments..[:u]
    1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Not much else it could be. I'm supprised it doesn't have inspection ports.

Armstrong ports are the ONLY ones I would have in there.

Comment

no inspection ports????

the D&D bracket I just got has an Armstrong port on it....
      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Hmmm.... How did they bolt the bracket on without inside access? If I were you I would cut out at least one inspection port. Gotta have access to the inside of the bracket.

Strick
        Oakley, California

Comment

He may have a bracket that is open on the transom side. It could have nut plates on it and the bolts just screw in from the transom side.

Just a guess.

Comment

stock mako bracket.. no inpection plates..sounds crazy but pretty easy to install new engine with bolts existing ..will post pics to explain..two small holes near top of bracket above waterline that can access both bolts..rigger said it was piece of cake..so much of piece of cake that its got water!youre right wart thats how its hung..

1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

I guess your options are then to:

1) find were the leak is coming from and fix it.

2) put a threaded drain hole on the lowest portion of the body of the bracket.

3) +/- inspection port.

strick
              Oakley, California

Comment

QUOTE: the small allen head screw at the bottom of bracket is un-removable.

After you install a Armstrong inspection port, you will be able to get to the inside of that plug and soak the heck out of it with penetrating fluid.

Comment

I have the same boat, same bracket, same froze-up allen socket drain plug.

I haven't worried about it because there are no signs of water in there, but now you have me wondering. How the heck did they get to those lower motor mount bolts when they installed the Suzuki?

As Wart suggested maybe the lower bolts are fixed to the bracket?
                  Larry S. - Fort Pierce, Florida[br]23 Contender

Comment

Andy-

The water can only be coming in from three spots:

1) the allen drain plug

2) the motor mounting holes

3) or the open side of the bracket that sits flush against the transom

First thing I would do is either remove or drill out drain plug and reinstall a new one.Be sure to apply anti-seize on the new one before you install.

Next, remove engine bolts (can probably do one at a time and leave engine on bracket), liberally apply Boatlife caulk onto THREADS and reinstall.

If the bracket still leaks....you're only other option is to remove it from the transom and reinstall it properly. Basically, the side of the bracket that sits flush against the transom is open and it needs to be liberally caulked with 5200 or Sika's equivalent. I bet Mako didn't apply enough initially or it has degraded over time and needs to be replaced. Don't sweat it..this is a common problem...I worked on a 31' Scarab 308 c/c last year and the entire bracket would fill up with water.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                    X