TRANSOM ????? Urget!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRANSOM ????? Urget!!!!!!

wondering if anyone could advise on transom rebuild. I will be doing a seacast transom and was thinking of raising it. Please reply if you have info....Thanks

P.S. 71 17' angler
    1971 17\' [br]Saved from the \"BONE YARD\"[br]Anna Maria Island, FL

[:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(][:-(]

Comment

[img][/img]

Comment

Your not getting any hit's because most of us don't belive in a transom in a can.[xx(]

Comment

You need to talk to Destin Bound. He did his with Sea Cast. Looks like it turned out nice, but the method that SeaCast recommends is not a good method. I believe that a good and long lasting result can be achieved with Sea cast if the old core is completely removed and the existing fiberglass surfaces are properly prepared. Once you have the Sea Cast in place and cured, I think a good inner skin should be formed with several layers of high quality glass.

I am still a believer in conventional methods... But I do like to see some guys experiment with differnt products. You never know, one of them may be the best thing since sliced bread. Only time will tell.

Look here:

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=2046
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

DestinBound is definately your man. I saw the transom he redid with sea cast and it was definately solid. Nice thing I liked about it is that it will not rott.
            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I looked into it, but the wieght scared me off. I was enclosing the transom and putting on a bracker. Therefore I was already concerned with the offset weight. When you replace what could be a lightweight core with pure resin you realize a substantial wieght gain. Just something to consider.
              1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I remember DestinBound saying that the weight difference wasn't much different compared to a regular wood core though.
                Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Maybe not more than resin soaked wood, but certainly more than a foam core, of any kind.
                  1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

My roplem with Seacast is what if it does not work or 5 years from now it starts giving you problems???? How will you get all that hardened resin out of there? A wood or composit core can easily be removed and replaced if it begins to fail. I think if a seacast transom fails you might end up getting out the chainsaw and cutting the hull up for the dump.

Comment

Thanks for all the feeback, As ringleader pointed out if all wood is removed, this I have done pics are on the way. I left the outer skin and could not even try and chain saw the wood out. I decided to peal everything from inside, this took all day and some, the wood was soaked I beleive that made it twice as hard.

I know that a lot of people beleive in the oldie but goodie wood/ glass, but wanted to try something different. I have never done either method. Just thought I could bring another hand into an allready stacked form[:0]

What about transom height, I was thinking of leveling it of and later adding a Jack plate, Please advise, standard I beleive is 20" level would I think bring it to 29" and 2" thick. Thanks again.

Comment

Have you looked into composite cores? Coosa is just one brand, but its great stuff.

http://coosacomposites.com/

Check out my project page.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/ayala/ayala6.htm

Also look at Porta Brackets

http://www.portaproducts.com/index.html
                        1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

---I only know that a lot of people speak highly of composite board but no one seems to use it. Wilson --- Your 23 is sweet, did you bring the stringer height up to meet the new floor????? If so do you think that would work for my situation also. Again it a 71 17'.

Comment

Hi Enzo,

I have a jack plate on my 17 angler and I like the way it performs. I didnt need it until I went with a big motor. Im using composit board on my standard, If I ever get it done.

Comment

Yes, my stringers will now do double duty as floor support. No reason why it wouldn't work for you. Also, there are LOTS of people using composite core. Look around and ask around.
                              1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Working...
                              X