Marking Water Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking Water Line

Is there a way to mark the water line for painting without "floating" the boat?

Annie II is going to the paint shop on Monday and I think I would like to approximate the water line and have the color break there.

Colors: Awgrip, Vivid Red and Awlgrip White.

I don't mind if the bottom paint , (White) goes a little higher than the actually water line, before the main hull color(Vivid Red), starts. I would just like a nice crisp line.

I'm thinking that I would rather do this than follow the strake line and have the red narrow in the bow.

(In case you haven't noticed, I have been really fighting with myself over the hull paint layout...)

I like what Warthog has done on the X-Shark, but, I really would prefer to have the color break at the waterline..

I have access to a transit and can lay out a nice strait water line. Above the waterline , I would do a double white bootstripe.

I have looked at sooo many pix that I have confused myself. But, all of the water lines appear to break at approx. 11-12" below the strake on the front and approx. 2" above the strake midship and even with the strake aft.

Please give me your 2cents on this one..

Thanks-

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

The only way I know is to fill it up w/ fuel & gear then float it.
    2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

I know that's the best thing to do. But, It was 14 degrees this morning when I left for work! Aint gonna happen.

A gereral "wing it" guide might have to be applied here.

I thought someone may have a best guess method..

Still hope so.[88][^][^]
      Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

I would level the boat using the trailer jack , then shot it with a trasit or a laser level . jose
        jose[br]232 mako o1[br]annapolis md

Comment

14 this AM? Just think soon we will be thinking that 14 is a heat wave. Did you trade in the tee shirt for a sweat shirt yet?

I only said what I did cause I would hate to get it wrong. My own boat sits 1.5 inches high in the stern than the bow. It's only bottom paint and it will be removed. I'm sure that over the years the line crept up the hull.
          2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

Bob, you sure you want to do that? It may look nice when your drifting or anchored but it may look a bit tacky once you get up on plane....
            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I gott'a agree with HungOne here. The way I did mine was the way Contender gellcoats their's.

Comment

I dunno. Guess I'm really workin this one over... I guess when is sitting it looks like it's smilin' or somethin'. []

My daughter is a Computer graphic designer. I'm going to ask her to use Adobe Photoshop and do some "concept" pix for me.

I'll send you guys the mock ups and see what you think....

The way I see it - I wanna be sure. and I'm picky.[8)]

Comment

Annie-

I know its cold but you should definitely float the boat to mark the water line. Wiat for a warm day...you only have one shot at getting it right especially since you're using a bootstripe.

Insead of a traditional 2 line bootstripe...you may wanna consider using a single line boot stripe that gets thicker near the bow... I think regulator uses them...looks sharp.

Since the hull is going to be vivid red...I would do the bootstripe in white and paint the bottom black. I don't think you'll be happy with the white bottom paint. It comes out looking whittish-grey (SHARK WHITE) and after it spends some time in the water it looks like a sandy color.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Ed

Comment

I finally decided to paint the bottom of my boat like the boat pictured above. They look good after it finally grows on you. I would still recommend doing a float test so you can mark the stern properly. My boot stripe will be just below the thru hull on the right side.

Strick
                    Oakley, California

Comment

Now that's a sharp lookin ride!!! [][]

Nice Job.. [(#)]

Any full side shots?

Bob

Comment

Ed Mancini Wrote:

"Insead of a traditional 2 line bootstripe...you may wanna consider using a single line boot stripe that gets thicker near the bow... I think regulator uses them...looks sharp".

Any pix of what you're talking about???

Thanks!!

Now we're talkin'!![;^)]

[;^)]

Comment

Looks good. Take a few more pixs and send them to me please!

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

For what its worth, my vote would go to the third pic above. Maybe utilize the boot stripe from the 2nd instead of the gold. But I think the name looks better toward the aft as compared to the 2nd.
                            [br]Keys to Life:[br]Life is all about ass; you\'re either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.[br]www.kjndiver.org[br]Orange, TX / Lake Charles, LA

Comment

Bob aka Anny II and I have been working this out a little in back and forth emails. His daughter is doing the grapix.[]

I want to see the white bottom w/ a 1in wide red stripe, then a 1/2in wide Gold stripe.[:x)]

Comment

Working...
                              X