battery charging.....will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery charging.....will this work?

I'm looking for an easier way to connect that battery charger to the two batteries installed under the console in my 19 Mako. Its a tight squeeze between the seats and the deck always seems to be wet when I have to hook up the charger.

I'm running 2 group 24 batteries connected to a perko 2 position switch.

Can I install one half of a trolling motor plug on the console, connect the hot lead to the main post on my battery switch, run the black wire to the negitive side of one battery?(I run a jumper between the negs on each battery) Then replace the spring clips on a 10 amp charger w/ the other half of the trolling motor plug.

My thoughts are that I can just plug the charger into the recepticle and use the battery switch to direct the charge to the battery that needs a boost. Other than possibly adding a breaker on the hot side. Am I missing anything? It seems like it should work...but I have never heard of it being done.
    1977 19B, 1995 175 Johnson. Currently in Central Illinois

That will work just fine. That's good thinking. That is pretty much the way you charge the battery on a fork lift. It does have a diffrent style connector, but there is only one way it will fit so you don't charge a battery backwards.[] Did you know a battery could be charged backwards?

Comment

These are nice:

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...uest/guest.htm
      St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

That charge pro is what I have. They make a plug to mount in the console specifically for those models. Very easy to install.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

id="Comic Sans MS">Yup. I agree. The on-board chargers are a nice convenience. But since the boat is on a trailer next to my garage and I already have an extra charger it seems like an unnecessary additional expense. $25 for the plug vs. $200+ for the Guest. Rather save the whompum for an extra day or two on the water. Thanks for the confirmation, Warthog5
          1977 19B, 1995 175 Johnson. Currently in Central Illinois

Comment

Working...
          X