looking to downsize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to downsize

I have a 1978 25 cc mako with a 2000 225hp suzuki. I love the way this boat performs but I want to downsize to save on some fuel. I was in 4to 5 ft chop and heading right into it and I was doing 22knots and had a comfortable ride. Is there any mako in the 21ft to 23ft range that would be a good match to what I have. Also what do you think the 25 is worth. It is in good shape transom is good. The boat has a t top and a 1989 trailer. Motor has around 175 hrs and is under warr till march 2006.

I really don't see a big savings for what your talking about doing. It may look better at first, but when you get done buying and selling and rerigging electronic's. You could buy a lot of gas. Just the tax alone would buy a BUNCH of gas.

Comment

I've ridden in many size and year Makos in many seas. the 4-5 foot chop you mention at those speeds' Take me in your boat!!! its heavier and a far better ride in the slopp than anything smaller or newer. 2nd and final choice for those sea conditions would be an old 238 wac or 232cc, But I would still be asking myself why I took my "getting older body" out in that stuff in the first place[;^)]

Take a ride in a smaller one then decide. My bet would be that you will miss the 251 after shes gone. Personally I dont go out to get beat up. Yet as these bones get older I may downsize when the maintenance gets too much for me and then I guess Im only out on nice days.

On the Fuel savings! I look at it this way, Some people pay for Therapy, counseling and perscription drugs.....I pay for Beer fuel and maintenance. ok so my stress relief just went to $2.25 a gallon.

[:-(]

Jim
      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Thanks guys I really love the boat but I burn so much fuel I get just about 1 mile to the gallon.

What do you guys think the 25 is worth if I am going to sell it. I know I will miss the 25 if she goes.

Thinking of maybe a 25 bhm with a diesel. I will lose some speed.

Comment

fishpro...

If you're getting only 1.0 MPG, you may have something wrong... That Suzuki is an EFI if I'm not mistaken and you should be doing better than that at cruise. What RPM do you cruise at? I'd get a good mechanic to look over the engine first. Now having said that, a 25' Mako with a 225hp is somewhat underpowered, so that engine will work harder than a 250hp -- resulting in lower MPG and greater stress on the engine.

As far as what you could get for the boat/motor/trailer, it'll depend on where you're located. Frankly, I don't think it's worth more than $15-20K best case -- BUT, a lot will depend on the condition of things. The hull is 26 years old and the engine is "old" technology -- people are looking for DFIs and 4-strokes these days. Electronics that are more than 3-4 years old don't really have any value.

If you like the boat and it does what you need it to do, my recommendation is to keep it -- replacing it with a decent, older 21-23' will cost at least as much and you'll have a lesser boat with a older engine... Get the engine looked at.

One final option would be to repower with used DFI that is being sold as someone else repowers with a new DFI or 4-stroke. There's a lot of that going on here in Florida.

Good Luck,

Tom
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Fishpro,

I have a 1973 20' mako that is overpowered with a 225 2002 optimax and a dual axle aluminum trailer that can handle a 23' boat. I've been kicking the idea around of getting a 221 or 231 (hull only) myself if I could do it without taking too much of a hit. Maybe we could work something out if everything could fall into place. My 20 was redone in 93 and has a solid transom and floor also with an additional 40 gallon tank added for a total of 80.

Comment

You won't be happy with the performance and ride if you downsize. That old heavy hull has spoiled you. You can't duplicate it. I have friends with older 20' thru 23' Makos and one with a newer 261. None of the hulls ride as well. Man! - am I going to take heat for that one. But that's the truth, and that comment has come from my friends, not from my prejudice.

Keep it and re-power it if necessary. It's a Classic!
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              White Hall, Maryland
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks guys I don't know what to do. I am in Brooklyn NY.

Comment

I know a lot of guys that have 225 on 25 ft. Hammertime has a 225 on a Mako 254, @ 1.8 - 2.0 MPG and good performance. Sure sounds like something else is killing the performance...prop, maybe.

Comment

I have been kinda looking for a 25 mako of that era. Email me if you are seriously interested in unloading it and downsizing.

Thanks!
                    Currently Makoless[br]Huntingdon Valley, PA

Comment

Hello I have a 1984 254 with a 1997 250 yami two stroke with full fuel 151 gallons I cruise at 3700-3800 rpms speeds about 22-24 knots gps and get about 2.5 to 3 miles a gallon sounds to good to be true but that what she gets also I have trim tabs they help alot

hope this info helps

Bob K Boston Ma

Comment

Mako evidently improved the efficiency of the 25 when they brought out the 254. I've heard comments like fishpro's before. Seems that there is a substantial improvement in efficiency with either single engine or twin engine set ups. Wonder what the difference is.
                        Ole Joe
                        Just floundering around
                        White Hall, Maryland
                        1978 Mako 25

Comment

I think I am going to sell and wait till I can get a small downeast with a diesel. I know I will miss her but I can get diesel fuel for around $1.50. Good friend owns a fuel oil company. Thanks guys for trying to help.

Comment

Fishpro,

Something just does not sound right with your performance info. What is your WOT? My neighbor has a 1978 25 and he bought it 3 years ago with a pair of 140 Evinrudes for about $11,500. She ran nice at about 25 knots and he could do a canyon trip (S. Jersey) on under 200 gallons of fuel. He repowered with a pair of 140 Suzuki 4-strokes ($21K) and now does the same trip on 94 gallons of fuel. He is hitting soemwhere in the 1.7 to 1.9 miles per gallon range depending on conditions.

As for the other guy with the 3 mile per gallon boat..do you have a fuel flow meter?? how are you calculating your efficiency? If it is accurate..good for you. I ran a 26 Shamrock with a single 350 inboard for 6 years and she average 2 miles per gallon. I have a 24 Rampage with a single 350 hooked to an outdrive and she does 1.7 to 1.9 miles per gallon. My 1974 17 CC with a 90 Evinrude see's between 2.5 and 3 miles per gallon. So if you are getting that good economy with a 25 footer with a 2-stroke outboard..you are a lucky man!!!!
                            Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Working...
                            X