Removing old painted name(s) from hull sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing old painted name(s) from hull sides

I few posts down is some good advice on removing old painted names from Mako hulls. I am going to remove my old painted name(s) this weekend and apply new name decals. I am concerned about using oven cleaner becuase of the brown stains.

1. Won't acetone do a better job? Does acetone eat fiberglass or gel coat quickly? How about paint thinner or lacquer thinner?

2. Should I try rubbing compound first, before using harsh oven cleaner?

3. Do you spray on the oven cleaner over the entire area, or just on the letters themselves?

4. What causes the brown stain from the oven cleaner? How hard are the oven cleaner stains to remove with rubbing compound?

Thaks for the advice and help.

Fred Bartlett

is it bad luck to change the name?

i have no clue how to remove, i'm interested in the replies as well

Comment

I'll try to answer some of your questions as I tried multiple ways before actually using the oven cleaner.

1) Acetone will certainly work and I used it until my elbows, arms and hands hurt so bad from rubbing. In my case the paint had been on since 1985 and repainted once so it was on their pretty good. The acetone would work on a small area but evaported very quickly so I had to wet my rag constantly.

2) Rubbing compound - it's difficult to run only on the paint so you end up removing some gel coat and you will have an un even surface, especially since the gel coat under the paint will be higher than the surronding area. Use the rubbing compound after the paint is gone to level the gel coat.

3) It really doesn't matter, but best to spray on just on the paint. The oven cleaner will run anyways but won't hurt anything.

4) I'm not sure what causes it, but I can tell you that Sno-bowl toilet bowl cleaner will make it bright white again. Just apply it to a rag and then wipe it on and hose it off after a few seconds. Trust me, you will be amazed!

Here's the links again for others to the pics I posted of how I did it on my Mako:

http://fastsail.com/Mako/
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the help. My paint has been on there since 1986 and it has been repainted since, just like yours. I know that it will be hard to remove, so I'll spray on the oven cleaner. I think I'll use goggles and gloves to be safe as that is some powerful caustic stuff.

I am using the same name, just changing to more durable press-on vinyl lettering. It is amazing how cheap these letters are compared to painting. I paid about $ 60.00 for both sides of the boat, compared to about $ 120.00 to paint almost 20 years ago.

I have one more quick question, please. Why do you think that the gel coat is higher under the painted letters? Does part of the unprotected gel coat wear away over time?

Thanks again.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

After you're done with the oven cleaner, you may want to wetsand where the name was....start with 600 or 800 grit and than finish with a 1000. Next, get some of the white colored gelcoat polishing compound and start buffing....press hard at first and then back off and let the buffer and compound buff the surface till shiny.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by FredBart

Why do you think that the gel coat is higher under the painted letters? Does part of the unprotected gel coat wear away over time?

Maybe Wart or someone else more familiar with the why can answer, but use it does wear away with washing, waxing and use. You won't be able to see it unless you know to look for it but will be able to feel it. I only sanded one side and honestly I can't tell which side I used the rubbing compound.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

I removed the homeport name only on my mako (bad luck thing stopped me from removing whole name). I started with acetone them realized that i was wasting my time. I eventually ended it with using laquer thinner it is very strong stuff. then 3M heavy rubbing compound and finished it off with 2 coats of high gloss wax. It worked pretty well you can only see the old outline if you are about 5 ft from it. The sun will fade it out eventually. The paint was some kind of Interlux topside paint. Took about 2 hrs to compleate job.
              [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

It is considered bad luck to re-name a vessel unless you do a de-naming ceramony. Strick has a good one that involves an octopus.
                Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I had a post earlier (about to join the club) and I asked how to remove a painted on name. I was advised to use easy off oven cleaner and I tried it. Man, talk about work good. I just sprayed it on and let it sit for 1-2 min. and it just wiped off. I then came back with some sno-bol toilet cleaner that I was advised to use and it did a great job. BTW I asked the wife to pick up some easy off at wal-mart for me and as you would know she bought the generic brand (.97 vs $3.97) and as I said it worked great.

Thanks alot guys for the input yall saved me a ton of work[88][88].

Also I bought my 25 mako yesterday[)][)][)] and she is cleaning up really nice. I'll post pix as soon as I can figure how to work this damned camera and computer.

thanks again, Mark
                  76 Mako 25 W/Twin 150 suzukis[br]Jennings,La

Comment

Mark - it works amazingly well doesn't it? I'm surprised Easy-off Oven cleaner doesn't come out with a marine brand of paint remover! Post some pics of your new 25 soon.
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Thanks to Sailor and Ed for the advice on the paint removal.

The Easy-Off worked great! I followed up with 800 and 1000 wet sandpaper, then 3 M rubbing compound. I then applied new name decals. I put on the same name, so I avoided the hex.

The oven cleaner took off 20 year old paint in an quick and easy manner. This is some amazing stuff!

Fred Bartlett

Comment

Here's a link to a renaming ceremony. Enjoy !!
                        Seabrook Beach, NH [br] \'73 17ft Angler

Comment

DOH !!

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
                          Seabrook Beach, NH [br] \'73 17ft Angler

Comment

Does the Easy-Off also remove bottom paint? I would guess that it does. Currently, I'm thinking about repainting the bottom my 1977 Mako 23. Has anyone used the Easy-Off to remove their bottom paint? If the Easy-Off removes paint that easily, I wouldn’t mind spraying it on he entire bottom and wiping it off. That way I would have a fresh surface to paint instead of painting over the old bottom paint (some of which must be 20+ years old).

Can anyone recommend a good bottom paint? My boat sits in the water 6 to 9 months of the year; otherwise it’s on the trailer.
                            Eye-Tooth, Mako 23 CC[br]Destin, FL

Comment

It is worth the $ 3.00 cost of oven cleaner to try it on bottom paint. Be sure to use industrial rubber gloves and goggles. I did not use gloves and my hands are paying for it a little now. To do the entire bottom, you may want a full mask.

Check the current issue of Southern Boating for a good discussion of bottom paints, their application and types.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

Working...
                              X