1999 mercury bluewater 200 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 mercury bluewater 200 question

I'm interested in a 77 Mako w/ a 1999 Mercury Bluewater 200 fuel injected outboard. Here is my question. I have heard that there were many problems w/ Merc FI and Merc's in general. My question is, what year did they start producting FI? I believe the Optimax in 96 but I know Yamaha had to help them fix problems on that. What are the problems associated with it? Anyone have experience with the particular engine I'm lookin at? Any tips/advise would be great, thanks.

I also wanted to add that its a 99 leftover installed in 01 w/ approx 75 hours, also has warranty through 7/05, if that matters. Bottom line, is this a good motor?

Comment

I doubt there's ever been a better engine made. Turn key to start--turn off when finished

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MakoMyDay

I doubt there's ever been a better engine made. Turn key to start--turn off when finished

i can do that!

some people love mercs, some hate em, same with rudes and johns. i think its the same as chevy vs. ford.
        i was just concerned with the reliability of fuel injection, especially this particular model.

how much should i be willing to pay to extend the warranty?

Comment

It's a good power plant and Merc has just about perfected the fuel injection system. They started building FI motors in the late 80s. []

Ask for maintenance records and have it checked out. If the current owner can produce proof that he took care of it, and a mechanic gives it the thumbs up, go for it.
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Working...
          X