Optimax__oil vs: other TCW3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimax__oil vs: other TCW3

Saw a post from Dentex in the classifieds and bringing it here!

Calling all Opti owners.!!!!!!

This Tip From a Retired Brunswick Mercury Big Guy !!!

over 32 yrs with the company.! I think like #3 on the totem pole!! Remember my Guess Quiz awhile back..... Mr. D. S.

anyway here is the skinny !!!!

Opties call for an "ashless" oil. (not synthetic) the high pressure and type of plugs used etc. I was using "Quicksilver Premium" available from Sams Membership for about $12. gallon (been using it since 1990) Well the special Optmax $24. +++ each, spark plugs that are supposed to last 4-500 hrs all needed replacement at 150 hrs. in my new 225s.

Yes I was trying not to spent the Outragious price for the Brown "Optimax oil". local bulk is about $18. gallon. I bout capsized when I priced it a Boat US.

Contrary to "cleaning table rumors" Not all oils are the same. The Big guys buy their own stock from brand XX refinery and have it processed with their own formula from their own r+d with their own special recipe. .... Yes we discussed all the testimonials like, (Ive been using K-mart oil for years without ever a problem). Ok Great for you... With the "free" lesson we all got. I/we now say ("Not in my $20,000.00). and this is only my 2nd year with twins, my first with Opties, and 34 years on the water.

"He" uses the Quicksilver Premium Plus also an ashless oil and not near the price..!!! Gee why dont they tell us that..! (that would be a question for the "Marketing dept"... We know its $$$$ profit.

Well this Friend of our club, and a really great guy answered every question and assisted all that he could while visiting one of our Funaments. Hopefully with our efforts to have Tracker assist us in bringing back the Funaments, You may all have the opportunity and pleasure to meet this great guy in the near future.
    June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

I've done a little digging on this.

An interesting article on oils: http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm

"TCW3 code 3-15020" means, among other things, that the oil is a natural ashless oil designed to be used in low temp outboards.

Also a Manufacturer may not force you to use a certain brand of oil unless they give it to you free. Reference the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and specifically the "Tie-In Sales" Provisions section.

It is in the best interest of the engine manufacture to sell you their branded oil and they will do what they can to make it seem better by marketing or by truly improving the additive package. However, it is up to the consumer to decide which oil (natural/synthetic) and which additive package they wish to use – as long as it meets the minimum standards specified.

It doesn't seem reasonable to state that you can't mix natural with synthetic oil. Particularly since you can buy oils that are a mix.

An FAQ from Mercury:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/optimax_faqs

http://www.mercurymarine.com/precision_lubricants
    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Thanks for the additional info, Makes for some interesting reading! I agree with the unreasonable no mix statement as there are mixed versions out there, but you will note they say the "Opti and Premium Plus" can be mixed, (both for opti use) they dont say the "premium".

Thanks for those "ashless" numbers as that was the intent of my post, those plugs are pricy...!

Do you have any Brands of ashless that qualify or should I just bring my glasses and read the labels. I got this old age thing going on[;^)]

Jim
      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

rodnreel.com has a thread on oil issues. Check the forum section on motors. Someone actually got samples and had them run in a lab.....interesting reading.....Tony
        79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Working...
        X