X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering pulls to the right - how to correct

Boat sits properly in the water, and 150hp Johnson

leaves a straight, clean wake, but steering will

torque strongly to the right. Steering seems fine too.

The bottom of the engine skeg is slightly bent, but

the angle adjuster on the engine appears to be

set to counter this - set with a bias to the left.

The Mako 21 DV CC runs fine otherwise.

Any suggestions ?

Sounds like the angle adjuster on the engine needs a little tweaking.[]

Comment

does it pull more the faster you go? if so playing with the angle adjuster will help, no feedback steering system will help a little more, hydrolic steering will fix everything [8D]
      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

My 17 used to do this. If I trimmed the engine up just a bit, there was a sweet spot that wouldn't pull at all.
        St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

If the motor has a dolphin or similar fin

I have noticed on previous boasts that the

dolphins although correct hole shot issues

create situations as you have explained.

I don't know why...just an observation.

Bob

Comment

I agree with Chasmo ... If you have the angle adjuster (is that the right name?) all of the way to the left, try trimming the motor up. I have the same situation on my 22'.
            72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

I beleive it's called a steering trim tab or something like that. On the bottom of the outboards cavitation plate, you will see a ~3"-3.5" round plate, usually zinc.It has a small fin on it. There is

adjusting nut on this plate.

First bring the boat to WOT rpm. Adjust your trim angle to get achive best plane position . Gently let go of the steering wheel. If the boat tuns to the port side, loosen the nut on the trim tab on the cavitation plate and rotate it so that the rear of the fin on the plate is on the port side. It doesn't take much. Start with 1/4 inch increments and the 1/8". You'll know when its correct.

Note your trim angle as this must stay constant.

Always turn the plate/fin to the side that the boat steers easiest.
              Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Yes annie2 has it. If it pulls right adjust righ, if left adjust left.

Comment

Working...
                X