Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Has anyone experienced problems/failures with bilge plugs? Is this common? My 1996 17' took on water last night (too much) and the Marina is blaming a defective plug (only 2 months old!!!). The Marina claims the pressure pin broke causing water to get in, although the plug was in place when they pulled the boat. I'm not buying it. I think the only other potential cause could be the intake for the livewell, but I have had no prior issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[?][?][?][?] I don't have a clue what your talking about. A preasure pin?

Comment

Bad discription. Sorry. The pin that connections the plug and the latch so the latch can swing up after the plug is in place. Does that help.

Comment

I know what he's talking about now... dude, why are you using that for your bilge plug??? That drain should be threaded so do yourself a favor and go get a real drain plug that screws on and not that flip up compression style plug. BTW, those flip up compression plugs are adjustable. All you do is hold the black rubber piece and twist the flip up lever one way for more compression and the opposite way for less.
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Damn! I still was scratching my head, until I read what HungOne posted.

Your talking about this type of plug. Flip Lock Drain Plug.

Comment

I call bull. If the plug is still in, there should be enough pressure to keep massive amounts of water out. How much water did they say was in there?
            SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

I love it Warthog 5. I can't describe it, and you have a picture. Right on. That is exactly what I am talking about. (Can you tell I'm fairly new to this boating thing). Back to my original point- the Marina says the pin failed and caused the boat to take on water (even though the plug was still in) and eventually the boat became partially submerged (not enough that my outboard got wet, but enough that I need repairs and nearly had a heart attack). Seems unlikely to me. Any thoughts (other than get a better plug- which I will).

Comment

A lot of water!! Scum line is close to the rub rail on both sides from the center console back. I did not actually see it. Boat was out of the water when I got there. Marina workers acting very weird. My mechanic (not at Marina) says a minor miracle my outboad was not under water (tight ropes or boat resting on bottom of the bay???). I can't see this happening in less than 36 hours with the plug in. I used the boat Sat. all day, pumped it dry when I was done and by Monday morning they said she was under (and DID NOT CALL ME UNTIL TUESDAY).

Comment

is this a 17' bay boat, skiff, or bass boat[]... the reason I ask is that there aren't many boats out there where the motor sit's higher than the rub-rails. What is it that you are going to need repairs on?

after replacing the plug, make sure to check all your thru-hulls for lose hoses and clamps, especially those below the water-line.
                  Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I think in 96' there was only a 17 and 17 Flat. I do not have a Flat. My mechanic is going over the boat today. Still waiting for word, but told repairs will be minor (thank goodness), and I could be fishing tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds fishy to me. If the plug was still in then it shouldn't have taken on water. If there had been that big a failure then I would imagine the thing would have fallen out. Also, when you put the plug in it was fine. There probably would have to be some sort of newly introduced stress on it for it to fail.

Why didn't they call you for so long?

Did they show you the plug?
                      1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I have the plug. It was brand new in August. They did not call me Monday because they "did not have my phone number", but were able to find in on Tuesday. Honestly, I find the whole thing suspicious.

Comment

Does your bilge pump work? If so, was the battery dead - it should have been. Although you may not be able to get this answer - if you ask and they say no then you have to wonder. How could your boat sink from a small leak that your bilge pump could easily keep up with unless your battery failed.
                          [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

To HungOne:

The screw in type that you mention is far superior IF you do not leave your boat at an In & Out ( aka Dry Rack or Dry Storage) facility. In the places where the marina company puts your boat on a fork lift, only a quick release plug will work. Some plugs have the cam type lock and some have a screw-to-tighten plug with a cross-pin.

I don't think that you'll find a dry storage marina that will always take the time to properly remove a screw type bilge plug. Maybe I'm wrong. Some of the workers in these in-and-out marinas are not the most careful as you can see from the original post.

The quick release type have been very reliable in my boat. Mine are quite old and work well. Of course, the new Chinese made ones may not be the same quality. If I had a boat that stayed in the water, I would change to the permanent screw in drain plug.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

The perminate screw in one's are called a Garboard Plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X