Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To: HungOne

Hungone,

Referring to your earlier reply to Chasmo, I have a 211 with the livewell overflow transom thruhull that sits below the waterline. I like the idea of a one-way valve for this issue. Is the valve an in-line valve and where do you locate such an animal. Similar to the earlier post i like the fact that i can leave a crack in my intake valve alowing fresh water to run through my livewell all day, but its a pain in the ars when launching in oily, mucky water and having that going into the $25-30 fresh bait i just bought, only to find them floating on the surface when I reach the fishing spot.

Justus

'93-211

Baton Rouge
    Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

Justus, I'm not sure if your setup is exactly like mine but the drain hole in my transom has a 1.5" treaded end on the inside where the shut-off valve is attached. What I was going to do was attach a 1.5" one way valve or check valve to the shut-off valve and re-attach my hose to it. I know I've seen the valves at the marine supply stores here and like DestinBound said in the original post, they are available at hardware stores as well. I never got around to doing it and with the re-build I'm going through probably never will. If you can't find it let me know what size you need and I'll try to help locate it for you.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

here's one

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...oductId=712882
      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

HungOne,

My drain on the livewell overflows directly through a 1" i.d. hose to the thru hull on the transom. I have tried one of those ball float scuppers, however my problem is that the thru hull is only about an inch below the waterline. As a result when i launch or with any "bobbing" of the boat there is not enough water force to keep the ball in the scupper seated. Hence, ball bounces around in the scupper and allows water back into the livewell. I wonder if an in-line check valve would give me the same problem with the constant up and down bobbing of the boat and not enough back force of water to keep the ball in the check valve seated. What are your thoughts?

Justus

Comment

now you have me confused. your live well is in the floor below the water line but the drain is only about an inch below the water line? or is this just the overflow and you have a seperate outlet for a main drain with a in-line ball valve?

In any case, the in-line check valve requires back pressure to close so will still let in a little water from the outside but not as much as the ball scupper so it should help minimize the amount of water running back into the tank through the overflow. Or what you could do is try to mount the check valve at a slight angle so gravity will keep it closed all the time except when you have water from the well wanting to get out.

there's also a check valve that uses a spring to keep it closed that could help but probably will not work for your case. Since your tank is below the water-line, the amount of pressure repuired to open it will be more that what your overflow will be able to deliver.

Comment

one other note. depending on the size pump you have for your well, 1" is a bit on the small side for a drain hose. A 1" check valve in-line with your setup is going reduce the amount of water that can run out and may cause overflowing. I'd buy a bigger check valve and use conversion adapters to go from your 1" hose to the larger check valve back to your 1" thru-hull so you don't have a bottle neck at the valve.

Comment

HungOne,

You da man! I like the idea regarding angling the hose/check valve. I think that's the ticket. That's what I love about this forum. It allows for the dissemination of information to help those of us (i'm only speaking for myself) who are mechanically challenged. I appreciate the info and will post you on the results.

Justus

Comment

Working...
              X