Hydralic Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydralic Steering

I've got a Teleflex steering unit on my boat and I noticed it leaking fluid from under the steering wheel. Do I need to replace the entire unit under the steering wheel or do they make a rebuild kit?

Double D,

I found the seals for my steering cylinder here. They were the best price I could locate. If your unit is a SeaStar go to www.surplusunlimited.com. They have a listing for Hydraulic steering. I copied the SeaStar Helm Pump page. They also have listings for other units.

SeaStar Helm Pump

Product

Part No. Description Product

Category Replacement

Part No.

All SeaStar 1.7, 2.0 and 2.4 Helm Pumps manufactured from 1990 to Date.

*some exceptions apply Seal Kit HS5176

All SeaStar 1.7 and 2.4 Helm Pumps manufactured from 1984 thru 1989. Seal Kit HS5151

HH5279 SeaStar 1.4 cu in front mount 1" shaft Seal Kit HS5151

HH5280 *Rear Mount 1.4 Helm 1" shaft Seal Kit HS5151

HH5281 *Rear Mount 1.7 Helm 1" shaft Seal Kit HS5151

HH5282 *Rear Mount 2.4 Helm 1" shaft Seal Kit HS5151

All SeaStar 1.7, 2.0 and 2.4 Helm Pumps manufactured from 1990 to Date. Shaft Seal 225226

All SeaStar 1.7 and 2.4 Helm Pumps manufactured from 1984 thru 1989 . Shaft Seal 225320

All Vent Cap Miscellaneous HA5431

All Non-Vented Cap Miscellaneous HA5432

All Filler Kit Miscellaneous HA5438

All Jam Nut, Shaft Miscellaneous 747521

Good luck, hope this helps.[^]

Larry Smith

Pasadena, Tx

'97 Mako 191
    Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

is it leaking from the front of the helm? more often than not, it is a oring that is on the shaft that leaks. this is usually the first thing to go. the cause is usually from hanging on to the wheel in rough water etc.. really a poor desing imho, should be a bearing there instead with an oring.
      Tampa Fl[br]

Comment

Ditto that. Its a $1.10 oring that sits under a flange thats held down with three screws. If you have a wheelpuller, phillips driver and an icepick, its a 5 min fix tops. Very common.
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

My ex-marina says replacing the seals does nothing....they wanted to fix it for 360.00$$, it was the fastest 2.00$ repair i have ever done,about 5 minutes

with the seal kit..and hasnt given me any trouble since!![:x)]
          1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

You want to be sure that you use the proper Teleflex/Sea Star hydraulic fluid. Car-based steering fluid may kill your "O" rings faster. At least the car-based fluid is easier to see when it leaks out.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

Thanks for the help. Do I need to order a seal kit or can I get away with an o-ring from an auto parts store?

Comment

dang!!!! $360 for fix it? They must of meant replace it right? for that kind of money, you can almost buy a new helm.
                Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

When you call teleflex they will send you an assortment of o-rings to use ..comes in a mini kit..I have even heard of them sending the little o-ring for free.
                  1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

You need a special O-ring from sea-star/teleflex, it has a groove in the side, its not a straight o-ring. You dont need the whole seal kit. There are two types, and I couldnt figure out which exactly I needed, so I ordered both from the nearby boat/us. Its not, or at least wasnt here, a stocked item, had to special order. Damn shipping was more than the o-rings at $1.10 each.
                    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X