Stupid Question: My Fish Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question: My Fish Box

As with my initial post, the boat is a 2001 221 and I'm the second owner.

The recessed fish box in the floor behind the leaning post is described in the owner's manual as having a sump. It has a cut-off valve at the transom. However, although the fish box is higher than the valve, if I leave this valve open when I run, the box fills up with water and will not drain until my high & dry lifts the boat. I have a feeling when the factory left off a peice of plumbing when they built it, much like they did with the fuel / water seperator.

Am I supposed to fill the box with ice and keep the valve closed? Why is the water rushing in when I throttle up? And why won't it drain at idle or anchor? I've tossed fish in it and left the boat in the water, only to come back the next day to find some really nasty gack in it. I had to hand-pump the water out, and that really sucked.

Thank for your help.
    St. Pete Beach, FL

I do know that the drain is below water level and that is why it fills when in that water and at rest. Ours drains at speed.

I don't know why it would fill at speed. I don't really think that there is a sump on ours, but don't know I will look

I hate the thing and think it is worthless, but that is my opinion. I always close the seacock before lauching so as to avoid water getting in. It still gets in from above when running.

That brings me to your other question regarding the baitwell. I think the main problem running the plumbing would be dealing with that "release well". You will have to run a drain either through or under it and it may become an acess issue.

What I did see that is good and may help you is the removable access plate or hatch in the rear, by the engine. Those two small, round hatches are set in a larger removable hatch. You will have to get through all the caulk to remove it but you don't have to cut.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Chasmo, I have the same setup with my boat. the fish box in the deck is connected to a drain in my transom with a cut-off valve. If I left it open, it would fill up with water that was difficult to get out. The reason why it filled up is because the box is below the water line. If I got up on plane, most of it would drain out on mine though. It was designed that it needs to be kept closed until you are done. You open it to drain after the boat is out of the water. I eventually got to the point where I just disconnected the hose and let it drain into my builge. I keep forgetting to close it before I launched the boat. What I was going to do at one point was reconnect the hose to the cut-off valve adding a one way valve so water would run out but not in.
      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

Chasmo, I have the same setup with my boat. the fish box in the deck is connected to a drain in my transom with a cut-off valve. If I left it open, it would fill up with water that was difficult to get out. The reason why it filled up is because the box is below the water line. If I got up on plane, most of it would drain out on mine though. It was designed that it needs to be kept closed until you are done. You open it to drain after the boat is out of the water. I eventually got to the point where I just disconnected the hose and let it drain into my builge. I keep forgetting to close it before I launched the boat. What I was going to do at one point was reconnect the hose to the cut-off valve adding a one way valve so water would run out but not in.

The one way vavle is probably the reasonable thing to do. I'm glad it's not just me who is having the problem.

Thanks guys, I'm still trying to figure the boat out. Some things on it are really great; other's I look at and think, "Why the heck would they do that?"
        St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

No such thing as a stupid question![]
          1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Andy

No such thing as a stupid question![]

Wanna bet?
            St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

I have the same set up on my 238 and mentioned it here once before. Somebody here told me that it wasn't an altogether bad set up and that he could keep bait alive in it all day. I tried it recently and as long as I ran a hose with raw seawater in the top of the well to fill it with the the seacock and hose calibrated the bait stayed alive and the water ran out at the same rate. When I close the seacock, water still gets in the bait well from the deck because we wash the blood, slime, chum etc off as we fish, if I leave it open the water gets in the well but drains at speed and the bait well really does not serve much of a purpose. It's a poor design as far as I can see but is better than nothing I guess. I have looked at the bait well system that is available from West Marine and just may install it under my leaning post. Take care, Murray
              Murray Gaskins[br]Valdosta, Georgia[br]Mexico Beach, Florida[br]Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,[br]don\'t tell them where they know the fish.

Comment

Hungone,

I have a 211 with the livewell overflow transom thruhull that sits below the waterline. I like the idea of a one-way valve for this issue. Is the valve an in-line valve and where do you locate such an animal. Similar to the earlier post i like the fact that i can leave a crack in my intake valve alowing fresh water to run through my livewell all day, but its a pain in the ars when launching in oily, mucky water and having that going into the $25-30 fresh bait i just bought, only to find them floating on the surface when I reach the fishing spot.

Justus

'93-211

Baton Rouge
                Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

Comment

These guys have lots of pluming parts that you can look through to decide what you need.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Look in the Process Control and Instrumentation section for check valves.

Check valves are normally available in PVC at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
                  [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X