1974 20 W200 johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 20 W200 johnson

need a hand figuring out why my boat has two water temp gauges. one seems to stay in normal operating range and the other likes to jump around when traveling with more speed. when i slow down and idle along in gear the gauge works its way up into the red zone of the gauge. just got the boat and had a marina run it and check the motor for me but they didnt mention the issue with the gauge to me. wondering if there is a gauge for each head on the v6 johnson 200 or if one may be for the lower unit and one for the engine. HELP!!

It's gonn'a depend on where the sending unit is. Got pix's?

Comment

where do i look for the sending units on the engine and on the outdrive? any specific areas to look at?

Comment

my old 200hp Rude has two temp guages as well. one for each side of the motor.
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

found two sending units on the motor one on each head. one of the connections was loose which would probably explain the gauge fluctuating rapidly but i didnt get to put the boat in the water to test and check if it still heated up. if in fact one side of the engine is getting hotter than the other how would that be cured? are there two seperate coolant paths, one for each side of the engine? or possibly two water pumps, one on each side of the v6? i appreciate everyones respone so far. its good to know that a new boater can get some good advise from this site. []

Comment

Thermostats.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Alcedo

Thermostats.

I was thinking the same. The impeller in your lower unit is the only pump that I know of. It sends water up to the motor and each side probably has a thermostat to allow water to pass and cool each side independantly from the other.
              Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I know that water is flowing through the motor so i got that covered but im gonna look into the thermostat situation. i followed the water line from one head to another and there are two boxes, one on each head at the top of the head that the water lines go through. would that be the location of the thermostats?

Comment

The thermostat on the side that is fluctuating may need to be replaced.

Comment

While you going through the process of doing one thermoatat do yourself a favor and do both - if one is bad the other is not far behind. Also, you probably will do yourself another favor by changing the water pump in the motor as those old rudes had a habit of blowing a pump at the worst possible time - usually every 2 years. Back in the early '80 when I had a '77 200 Johnson (same motor back then except different colors) on my '73 22 cc I changed them every year after the first 2 pumps went (both in the second year of use) in the middle of Long Lsland Sound. Both times it was a loooooooong way back to port. Hope this helps -

Mike
                    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

sounds good, i ordered a pair of thermostats for the engine and im gonna install this weekend. got em ordered down in niantic ct. looking forward to get her in the water and try it out. i was looking online and i found two engine manuals by two different publishers and was wondering if any of you guys or gals have had any luck with either of these manuals. maby you can recommend a manual to me.

Comment

Check those bypasses! They are right below the thermostats. Make sure the plastic poppet valves are not disfigured. If one of the valves is disfigured than that head will get more flow allowing it to run cooler. The engine is designed to run at a DESIGNED temperture. Use some never seize on the bolts and if one ever does malfunction on a trip, a 7/16 wrench will remove the bolts and you can remove the stuck thermostat and keep fishing. Hope this helps..Tony
                        79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Working...
                        X