Livewell Found / Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livewell Found / Pics

I just picked up a 2001 221 a few weeks ago. I love the boat, but the stock livewell is truly pathetic for type of fishing I do. I have a factory leaning post on the boat that has the feet that keep a cooler from sliding out from underneath it, plus it has the sturdy footrest I need to stand on when I'm running.

So, the question is, what are you guys using for livewells? I'm not building my own like some here, but I need at least 40-50 gallons.

Thanks in advance.
    St. Pete Beach, FL

Chasmo,

I have an 84' 238. I went through the same struggle. I looked at bait bags, portable tanks and even the ones sold at West Marine. I ended up going with a 45 gallon tank built by Offhsore Marine Poducts in Southern California, www.offhshoreproducts.com. I could not be happier. I spent a little more than I wanted, but the trade off is great. It is the cleanest and best working tank that I have ever seen. I think it works better than most built in tanks on the big sport fishers. Being local, I had them install it, but I know they can ship it to you if you can do the installation youself. I hope it helps.

basshole
    1984 238[br]Mission Viejo, California

Comment

you can put a livewell underneath the leaning post. some things to think off are..access to the opening, water inlet, and water outlet. the water inlet and outlet can be hard to do on most boats. usually the tanks is underneathe the floor right there, which can inhibit you from drilling holes down to access two good size hoses. I have installed some this way and it can be a nightmare. do you have any pics of the boat? where are you located? I would suggest taking the boat to a marine supply store and ask them if you can throw some of the tanks in the boat to see if you have room. this will give you an idea. plus you can see if you can get bait in and out of the well without too much trouble.
      Tampa Fl[br]

Comment

They can be a pain to install under the leaning without have to do some cutting. Here's some good reading. http://www.kodiakmarine.com/technicalinfo.htm

The tank I have is the PF42-2. The -2 means there is no exposed plumbing.

Comment

I guess I'm looking for a more finished look. The first bitch I see is I'm putting a semi-finished product over an access hatch to the gas tank. I'll definitely change the sending unit before I make the change.

I've looked at something like this, but don't know of the durability:

They also make another baitwell that is smaller and would fit under (I think) the leaning post, but it has side hatches that would be impeded (I think the padding is removable). I also would have to have the cooler arms cut and patched:

The other concern is how "white" it is. My 221 is "whiter" than my 17, but not by much. It has to look right as well.

My goal is to make my boat fish and be pretty too. Tough order imo.

Please, more info from you guys. This board helped make my 17 a fishing machine.
          St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

You may have answered you own question about this being doable. Your going to need to pull the tank hatch, if it has one and see if you have room to run the plumbing. Your going to find a lot of tanks that have a stand pipe in the middle. This is easy to design, but makes for a lousy setup. 2 things wrong with it. It gives the bait a place to skin themselves up. That makes them weaker baits. The worst part of it is that the Damn pipe will fall out as your beating along in the run to your fishing spot, only to find out when you get there that the pipe fell out and all the bait are dead laying in the bottom of the tank with no water in it. I've seen this setup on boats that cost over a $100K. That's Crap!

Comment

Wart I agree with you about the design on the stand-up pipe. It's one more thing for the bait's to run into and beat themselves up on inside the tank. That's the main reason why I decided to go with the Kodiak tank as well. It's a pain in the ars to install but the way those things are designed is far superior to any other set-up I've seen so far.

Chasmo, the two that you displayed definately looks like a clean install and would be the easiest route but if it has a stand-up pipe inside the tank, at least make sure that it screws on instead of push on.
              Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

They can be a pain to install under the leaning without have to do some cutting. Here's some good reading. http://www.kodiakmarine.com/technicalinfo.htm

The tank I have is the PF42-2. The -2 means there is no exposed plumbing.

Ouch, I just found out what you mean. Besides the lack of space, it's all foam and there's no room to even move your hand.
                St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

Chasmo Please puy your hometown,state in your siginature.[]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

Chasmo Please puy your hometown,state in your siginature.[]

Done
                    St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

sheesh, I can't afford it!!! $1500 for that leaning post and back rest with built-in live well you have pictured Chasmo. Plus another $200 for the foot-rest.
                      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

www.livebaitlarry.com has some nice stuff and has low prices.
                        San Antonio, TX

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

sheesh, I can't afford it!!! $1500 for that leaning post and back rest with built-in live well you have pictured Chasmo. Plus another $200 for the foot-rest.

I use big baits so I need a lot of water. I'm leaning more towards the tank that sits under the leaning post, but I can't figure out how to plumb it because there's a gas tank and a lot of foam in the way.

Got any tips or suggestions?
                          St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

On the West Coast, almost every boat has a bait tank to carry sardines, anchovees or macks. We all buy from three local builders. Two of them have been listed as Offshore & Livebait Larry. The third is http://www.pacificedgetackle.com/. All of these guys build tanks that hold the bait great. I have used Offshore tanks, Kodiac Tanks and our Mako has a Aqua World Tank. All hold bait well.

Mike
                            77 Mako 20, Huntington Beach,Ca[br]Mike

Comment

Chasmo, I have the same situation as you. my live well will be plumbed below deck and placed under the leaning post as well. my drain and live well pump is in the back of the boat. The top of my tank has about 2" of clearance between the bottom of the floor so I had to run hoses between the floor and top of the tank. It currently comes out where the inspection hole for the sender. I'm not finished but what I plan on doing is to make the inspection hole larger and build a 3"x10"x10" box around it and glass it to the floor to keep water from getting in. I'll re-mount the inspection plate on the top of the box and have the hoses coming out the side of the box facing the tank's intake and drain. I'll using PVC connectors and SS clamps to come through the box and seal everything to make sure water doesn't get in. The only draw back here is that if my clamp fails on the inside hose, especially the 1" fill hose from the pump, I could end up with a lot of water in my fuel tank coffen. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X