MAKO BAck Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKO BAck Country

I have a 18'6" Mako Back Country with a 115 Mercury and poling platform. This hull is 1970 and is still in great shape and gets appreciative looks whenever I get to the ramp. I'm trying to find out if any other hulls have survived..... Are there any more of these out there ? (Full flush Deck, fifteen hatches, etc.)

My understanding is that only 30 were made. I know that there are others, but they are rare. We have had others aking about them here in the past. Do a search and you may be able to find who they are and email them. I even think that one was for sale in the Boat Trader recently.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I know for a fact that there is one in Naples. The boat looks great and the guy wont come off it.

Comment

I can honestly say that this boat is the friendliest fly fishing boat I have ever fished. With all hatches down, you have a 19' flat platform with no obstructions. Also nice to put a lawn chair on when I want to "lazy fish". I'm presently getting ready to spruce the old girl up with awlgrip on the top cap and some changes to the console. I was told that they only made 20 hulls and, when I called the factory and asked why, they said, "Did you ever count the hatches?". I said ,"Yes, 15 hatches". They said,"That's why. We could'nt do all that work on hatches and still sell the boat profitably". I love my boat

Al Redlhammer

Comment

They were an interesting boat. I have a friend in Bass River, MA who used to own one that we took to the Keys a number of times. Only problem was it was heavy and hard to poll unless you had arms like a gorilla. That was the main reason they were discontinued according the Brett Schwepke when I asked him about it many years ago. It was an attempt at building a flats boat, but the weight and the draft made it less than advantageous for that fishing. What they didn't realize at the time was they had created probably the first ever true bay boat like the Pathfinders, Kenners and the latter Bay Sharks. Unforunately, at the time there was no such thing and no market for it. What my friend did to aid in poling was to install a pair of trolling motors, one on each side of the gas motor inside the motor cut out (the outboard sat between a pair of outboard, freeflowing live wells if memory serves) that he operated using a dual on/off switch that allowed him to run either individually or both together. He would use the pole to steer the beast.

It was a pretty neat boat, though. Way ahead of its time.
          [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

I've learned that it's easier to pole downwind...... Also, you're right about the bay boat designation. This baby is perfect for running the bays and rivers and , with a bow-mount trolling motor, casting for snook and reds in the rivers and channels becomes quite easy. She has Bennet tabs and a super wide poling platform so, she trims up beautifully for running. Other than on a windy day, I haven't had too many problems poling provided I have a couple of inches under the keel. With a Merc 115 6 cyl. (Original w/the boat) she goes....

Comment

A friend Capt. Terry Shaunessy owner of Hackberry Rod and Gun located in Hackberry, La. used to own one of these boats. I saw her 4-5 yrs. ago at HR&G and remember commenting on how nice and unique she was[8D]. He went on and on about how rare she was, he was very proud of her. Terry has since moved and guides somewhere in the Fla. keys. Do a search on Hackberry Rod and Gun and you can probably get in touch with Terry, I imagine he still owns her. hope this helps.

Mark
              76 Mako 25 W/Twin 150 suzukis[br]Jennings,La

Comment

Working...
              X