Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black marks on floor

Guy,

I took my daughter out Saturday for a little fishing. She had on black rubber sole shoes and left marks on the floor along with some on the sides. I have tried just about everything to get the marks out from Tide to Windex to Goo-Gone. The only thing I have found that seems to start to remove the marks is Soft Scrub. Have any of you run into this before. What are ya'll using to clean the deck. Mine are white (gel coat color). What can be applie to stop this marking for a protector? I will be very cautious about black sole shoes in the future.

Thanks,

Larry Smith

Pasadena, Tx

'97 Mako 191
    Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

I know I've removed black rubber with acetone... for something less agressive, maybe try mineral spirits.

-Pat.
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

There is a cleaning product in the grocery stores up here called barkeepers friend. Works great for most cleaning tasks around boats.
      Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

Larry,

We have used soft scrub and a scotch brite pad before, but that is really just sanding the mark as well as gel coat away. I know we have used a product called FSR to remove all kind of stains from gel coat. It was a product that my brother used to clean racing sail boats, so it is not very abbraisive. I will try to find out if there is a place down there where you might be able to find some.
        Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Larry,

West Marine carries the FSR 16oz for $10 and 2 liter for $27.
          Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

I think its going to take acetone. It won't hurt that gelcoat.
            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I hate black soled shoes on boats[!][!]
              2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

Thanks,

I have a start now of items to use.

Larry Smith

Pasadena,Tx

'97 Mako 191

Comment

Mineral Spirits. Yes it may smear a bit, but just wet a clean cloth and hit it again. Most all products will leave some residue. But most all soles are rubber or plastic and therefore will be diluted with the spirits. Remember, "fight fire with fire". Depending on the condition of the gelcoat, it may smear a bit, but on the smoote area, a little bit of Dupont fine polishing compound will clean it up, and will not show too much of a contrast of rubbed and not rubbed areas. Did you try just a fingernail to clean off the marks on the smoothe areas?

Larry, are you by some chance in the boat sales business? I knew a fellow working out of Houston, a bunch of years back that has the same name.

Comment

No Oyster,

I have been a Houston Firefighter for a little over 32 years. A couple of more and I am gone. Never thought about selling boats maybe my 2nd career[88].

Larry Smith

Pasadena, Tx

'97 Mako 191

Comment

I think a product called "AFTA" works great on stuff like that.
                      Bayport, NY[br]1979 Mako 25\'

Comment

Working...
                      X