115 on a 17 footer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 on a 17 footer???

I have a 1999 17 foot. its the regular hull, not an angler. i want to put a 115 honda 4-stroke on it and was wondering if anyone here had that setup. it comes with a 20 or 25 inch shaft. which would work better. any info into this would be great. thanks

Timmytes, I had a 115 Evinrude (2 stroke) on a Mako 17. 44MPH on the GPS in smooth seas. Not sure what the wieght difference is between that SPL and the new 4 strokes but I bet it's substantial........
    1980 Mako21 [br] [br]Long Beach MS <\')))>([br]\"I can always find somebody to tow me back in, but I can never find anybody who will tow me out.........\"

Comment

I believe the 17 is rated to 130, but you need to consider the extra weight of a 4 stroke. You do NOT want to deal with water coming in over the back when you are fishing or someone climbing in after water skiing. It's not worth any gain in speed.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

For what it's worth;

115 Johnson/Evinrude 335 lbs

115 Honda 496 lbs

90 Honda 373 lbs

This is all as measured at the website or brochure.20" transom models.
        central Kentucky[br]

Comment

I have a '94 171 and I put a 140 suzuki 4 stroke on it. I like this set up. Although the Honda is a great motor, it's really heavy - 500 lbs! The 140 suzuki is about 410. A 115 Yamaha 2 stroke is about 360. So 50 lbs less but also 25 less horses. The yamaha 150 2 stroke is 425. I think a 4 stroke is a good idea and I don't think the weight difference will be that big a deal if you go with the suzuki. The honda weighs too much for that boat. I really like my Suzuki, by the way.

Good luck
          Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

PS. The gas savings in a 4 stroke is pretty incredible. My friends with 2 strokes can't believe how rarely I have to buy gas ...

Comment

If you're outfitted with a gas tank meant for 2 stroke motors, you'll have a great range with the 4-stroke. I know mine is an inboard/outboard, but I think the efficiency is about the same. I get about 7 miles/gallon with a moderate load (for my 34 gallon tank, that's 238 miles).

I don't think I'll every have a 2-stroke engine on a boat.

-Pat.
              18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

I dont think you will have a problem with the 4 stroke. I have a 150 v6 on my 17 and the weight is probably close to what you will have.

Comment

thanks for the input. i actually meant to say Yamaha 115 in my post. i think they are a lot lighter than the honda. my 225 merc weighs 348#'s and the yamaha is 402#'s. so about 54 # difference. not too bad. how about the shaft length. they come in 2 sizes 20 and 25 inch???

thanks

Comment

We have a 2005 115 Evinrude Saltwater Edition 2 Stroke (20 inch) on our 171S. We couldn't be happier.

We wanted a fourstroke but felt the weight was just too much for the transom plus the depth it would sink the stern. Too much weight on a transom not designed for that. Some 90 HP Fourstrokes weigh more than 115 2 strokes. Don't hang a four stroke on their you won't be happy in the long run. Plus it's not necessary. If you must go four stroke then don't go over 90HP. That new E-tech 90 is prety cool too. Our boat runs around 45 with 2 guys in it full fuel load, 2 group 27's and a group 24 (batteries) unde the center console. We also have a 82# thrust Motorguide Great White Digital bow mount trolling motor.(foot control). Just my opinion for what it's worth.

1990 Mako 171S \"Jeronimo\"[br]115 Evinrude[br]Huntington Beach CA

Comment

115 or 140 suzuki's are great engines for that boat. They are actually better engines then the hondas in my opinion and stronger. Plus cheaper and they look better.
                      Slidell, La

Comment

I wasn't trying to push the whole Evinrude name.

I just re-read my reply and that's how it reads. Sorry.

My intent was the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate, and the weight issue.

All large motor manufacturers make good equipment.

Jeronimo

1990 Mako 171S \"Jeronimo\"[br]115 Evinrude[br]Huntington Beach CA

Comment

That evinrude 115 weighs about 370 lbs. The Suzuki 140 weighs about 410. I don't think 40 more lbs will hurt your transom.

Comment

I have a 115 Optimax on my 03 171. It weighs 40 pounds less than a 4 stroke Merc. My scuppers are not underwater but If im standing next to the engine water gets in.
                            2003 George Poveromo Edition 171 [br]2005 Merc Opti 115

Comment

I just put a 05 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, 20" shaft on my '73 171 and love it. It is so quite the water pump stream hitting the water makes more noise the the motor when it idles. I have had no problems with weight. I have a 19 degree prop on now but it only turns 5500 @ WOT so I am going to back down to a 17 degree and see what that does. It runs 40 MPH on GPS now fully loaded with gear, 2 batteries, fuel and 2 people, and the fuel usage is so good they might have to layoff someone down at the marina.
                              73 Mako 17\'[br]\"We\'re all in the same boat\"

Comment

Working...
                              X