Hey Oyster !__Talk about foam facts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Oyster !__Talk about foam facts.

You spiked my interest the other day with our comment about drafting some information on the pros and cons of foam. If you have a chance to, please share your toughts with us. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest from others also.

There is a common problem among us that reveals itself from time to time in the various threads. That is, a lot of these boats sit low at the stern. You will repeatedly see comments about: water backing up through the scuppers; too much engine weight; relocating batteries to lighten the stern; or the deck awash at the transom.

I assume that most of these problems result from the hull design, and certainly, some have been created by us adding too much weight aft. But, I also believe, based on observations of my hull, that some of the problem results from foam saturation in the bilges. Each spring my hull sits higher in the water than it does at the end of the season. It's not a great difference, maybe 1/4" - 3/8" at the transom corners, but there is a difference. I don't believe that the bow settles. If anything, the bow probably raises due to the centerline weight transfer.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

I have been slammed around this place. I started typing, and I was sidetracked with work. I am also leaving for Florida in the morning, so it will be next week. Jog my memory on monday. This is a problem that has driven me nuts. Over time, I have my opinion on this mess, both from the safety factor, out weighing the darn trouble it creates time and again. There is truely a disconnect between the two parties.

Comment

With regards to water coming through the scuppers on my boat, I just assumed it was because I've become a fat-ass.
      St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

With regards to water coming through the scuppers on my boat, I just assumed it was because I've become a fat-ass.
        St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

Bingo! It may be used for safety, or to reinforce structure, or to insulate. And, its use sometimes creates problems. Somewhere there is a middle ground. Everybody has to find their own spot.

I'll give you a shout next week.

Thanks.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Bingo! It may be used for safety, or to reinforce structure, or to insulate. And, its use sometimes creates problems. Somewhere there is a middle ground. Everybody has to find their own spot.

I'll give you a shout next week.

Thanks.
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            White Hall, Maryland
            1978 Mako 25

Comment

I've been waiting for this one too.
              [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Yes, I am catching up from being gone, folks. [B)]

Comment

Well, I over committed on all of my promises. I just can't get caught up. I wanted to go back to square on this issue, taking you back to square one, but all of a sudden I have been overwelmed with work and work and work, therefore shucking my plan for a genuine reply. Please, I ask of you to forgive me, and know that I will still follow up on this, as its just like salt in a sore.

Comment

No problem. I've been thinking that it's something that I should try to investigate on my own anyhow. Thanks for the "come back".
                    Ole Joe
                    Just floundering around
                    White Hall, Maryland
                    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                    X