Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee surgery!

Fellers, []

Two weeks ago, I managed to get my wife to accompany me to a Grady dealership while we were away for the weekend on our 5-year anniversary. I was hoping she would "see the light" of a bigger boat and let me start shopping around. Well, it actually worked. []

When we got home, I hopped on Yachtworld the next day and found an attractively priced 1989 Grady White 280 Marlin. I called the broker, was told it is in good shape overall, needed a lot of cleaning up and the owner was anxious to sell. We made arrangements to go see it the following weekend.

From the outside:

Overall the boat seemed to be in descent shape for an '89. The hull didn't have too many "bruises", the deck was solid except for the gas tank cover (which I could recore), only 1 window leaked (again, not a big deal), the cushions were not ripped or anything but needed to be cleaned, blah...blah...blah.

I'll let the camera speak for me:

Things that will need to be addressed in the next few years:

1. Repower. The original Johnson 225s have 1250 hours.

2. Enclosure.

I was very excited about this rig. I was sure it was "the one" as my wife raved about all of the cabin space. The I looked down into the aft bilge......

The first thing I noticed was the center transom knee.

That big crack was the only damaged area I saw and I can't figure out what might have caused it. I though maybe driving the screw in for the wire tie may have cause a hairline crack that got large over the years. Stringers seemed solid, transom seemed solid. There was no evidence of transom deflection. Everything on the outside line up perfectly.

What do you guys think? For $35K, should I pursue? What might a repair involve? I know there's others out there, so if this ain't "the one" afterall.....

No doubt about it, the boat WOULD BE SURVEYED.

[]Edited by Big Brother Edster -- Oct 14, 2004
    Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Nice..... []

I posted the photos to one of my THT albums. Looks like Wiley has killed the ability to link to them. What a putz. []

I'll post them to a diffent location tonight so they will show up.
    Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Whatever you slipped into your wifes drink... Seems like its a date rape type drug that made her want a new boat instead of sex... But thats besides the point.

Could you please send me some so that I can enjoy what you are going through as well...[][][]

Nice looking boat. Get her checked out and report back to us.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Run Forest Run
        1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Thanks Ed. []
          quote:

Originally posted by RingLeader

Whatever you slipped into your wifes drink... Seems like its a date rape type drug that made her want a new boat instead of sex... But thats besides the point.

Could you please send me some so that I can enjoy what you are going through as well...[][][]

Ed, I think it's available pretty much anywhere...

We spent the evening at the Brass Balls Saloon on Ocean City, MD. Mary was kicking back those Yuenglings all night, and I was working on a large number of Michelobs and some Grand Marnier (sp?). By the end of the night, we were BS'ing with some local charter captains, she spilled a full draft beer on my leg and I had myself signed up for karaoke. [] It's good thing our hotel was only 100' away......we barely made it into the room.... [][][]

We went looking at boats the next day...... []
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

lucky dog!!!!

so you got lucky, than you got lucky again!!!![)][)][)]
            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

That looks like a nice boat Brian but I'd definetly get that transom knee looked at. Is the wood bare and if so it could have seeped oily water in from the bilge. I don't know about the price to know if it's worth it, but seems like an awful lot to spend on a boat that needs new engines IMHO. Also, are you going to keep it in the water? That's a lot of boat to trailer - even with that big 'ol dodge. I think you would need to trade the Hemi in for a Cummins!
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Hey gw, Is that a Mako's Mako shark under the grady white on the first picture?

Cliff
                Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Nice boat but those motors love gasoline and a lot of it so be prepared for expensive fishing trips or boat rides.Other than that its a great boat

Good luck

Bob K 1984 254 mako 250 yami

Comment

Brian,

You have a tough decision to make, but it really boils down to what you can buy it for. You have a lot working for you to force the price down, but then your going to have to spend some money in the end. Since you can do the work yourself, I think you should try to make a deal that puts you ahead (below replacement value) after the structural repairs and engine replacements. If you can get to that point I'd jump on it.

What year are the engines? I don't know anything about the 225's, but it would seem to me that you could expect 1,000 hrs provided they where cared for properly. While I think you should consider engine replacements as part of your negotiation you probably should get every hour you can out of these before repowering.

They are really nice riding boats. While I have not run offshore in one, I've run offshore along side of them many times. They are really impressive in the sloppy conditions and walk away from me in a head sea.

If you can buy her right, I don't think you can go wrong.
                    Ole Joe
                    Just floundering around
                    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                    1978 Mako 25

Comment

I'm worried about what is under that FG skin on the stringer... I have to agree with the sentiment that its probably caused by the screw that is in the end there. One way to find out. Unscrew the screw and see what the shavings look like. If the wood beneath is good, its an easy repair. Also gotta wonder about that transom. 1980's Gradys are known for their transom rot.

The price is way too high if you ask me... Especially for a boat with 15 year old motors.

You could pick up a hell of a nice Mako 260 (1990-1993 model) for under $30K if you keep your eyes open. Just a thought. The Mako 260 is a bad assed boat.
                      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I know where you can pick up a 285 mako completely restored with aluminum bracket, garmin 2010 gps and raytheon radar, with rebuilt yamahas with less then 200 hours on them and a new triple axle aluminum trailer for just a little more then that boat.
                        Slidell, La

Comment

Appears to be a pretty nice boat, when you are talking a quality boat (Grady) a 89 boat is not that old. We hear of folks spending 10-12 K all the time on late 70 and early 80 smaller Makos, this is a lot more boat. If those old loopers pass the wrench test, I would get rid of any VRO crap feed them premix and keep them till they pop......1200 hours.....they are just getting broke in good.

30K ?? I would be talking 22500 cash.......them green backs talk.

Comment

who's been messing with those pictures? in the first picture, the mako on the starboard side is facing the same way (right) as the one peeking out in the last picture on the port side.
                            \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I agree with Alcedo, those motors are bullettproof. Thirsty but tough.
                              SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X