83 mako 17 water separator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 mako 17 water separator

I have an 83 mako 17. the water separator is original equipment. It is a small cast iron type of case with a permanent almost cement like filter attatched to an iron cap. I was told by the previous owner that this never needs to be replaced. Is this true . Has anyone ever seen something like this?

I had a similar unit in my 1985 20C. I recently replaced the engine and put in a Racor filter/separator. The bronze type that you have is referred to as a "rock-stopper". I never opened mine. If you are worried about filtration, put in a modern filter. The old type is not sufficient for modern engines, especially fuel injected ones.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

Also with a 1985 20C. This past weekend took out the "rock stopper" and replaced with a Racor. Never knew it was called a rock stopper.

I bought the boat about two months ago and I don't think mine had been changed or drained.....ever. Somewhere between a quarter and a half inch of sludge at the bottom of the unit and everything brown on the inside. Nasty looking stuff.

Anyway, changed it out and at idle, the engine sounds so much better. No more rough idle. No surprise given all the crap in the old filter. If it is anything like mine was, I'd say switch it out.

I think the entire Racor unit cost me about $45 plus some shipping. Warthog had a link in one of his posts a few months ago for the Racor units and I just followed that to buy it.

-ddrummer

Charlotte, NC

1985 20C
      -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

The one I posted is for a stainless steel, which is the only one I'd have. The alum mounts seem to coroide very bad. The painted ones will loose their paint by the 2nd or 3rd year and look like crap.

This is from Surplus Unlimited.com

Fuel/Water Separator Kit SS Bracket-Racor Filter

Quantity in Basket: none

Code: 3516

Price: $68.95

Comment

I had mine powder coated in black to match the black dash switch trim in my boat. My son has a freind who does powder coating for a liviing. so I had my hand rail,dash panel. rod holders an so done. Looks good. Motor bracket,Tee Top, Leaning post next. but if i had to buy one agin it would be SS
          Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

Not a good sign....the brain cells are going[]

I paid $68 not $45 for the filter/separator/bracket.
            -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

The unit you have is likely made by Perko or one other company (name escapes me). It's impervious to corrosion and the filter is replaceable.

I had one installed on my 1989 Mako 171 and the one on my current boat ('83 Mako 224) is probably 20 years old -- works great and I change the filter twice a year for almost nothing.

Don't see a reason to replace it...just drain out the fuel at the bottom and buy a new filter.

Tom
              Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I dont know if the one on my 17 was original equipment, but it had a filter with a mercury part # on it. Looked much like the $25 deals they sell at BoatUS or West. Top unit seemed ok, so i just replaced the filter for like 5 bucks.
                \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

They call them rockstoppers b/c they dont filter out much other than the large stuff.

I've learned the hard way...trust me...possibly the most important piece of hardware you can have on the boat is a water seperating filter...read RACOR.

Dump it and get a racor.
                  1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Here is another brand, this time from Sierra Marine, a division of Teleflex. They offer aluminum and stainless filter heads, too.

http://www.sierramarine.com/catalog_...ra_8023-66.pdf

Fred Bartlett

Comment

Be careful what you buy and where you mount it. I believe there are certain Coast Guard regs that say where those Racors with the plastic bowl can and cannot be mounted.

I am using a one of the el-cheapo Sierra ones with the painted head in my Grady. It's mounted in one of the aft compartments where if a leak occurred, it would drain into the bilge. As such, I use the undrainalbe metal filters from Merc or Sierra, and replace them each year.
                      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Be careful what you buy and where you mount it. I believe there are certain Coast Guard regs that say where those Racors with the plastic bowl can and cannot be mounted.

I am using a one of the el-cheapo Sierra ones with the painted head in my Grady. It's mounted in one of the aft compartments where if a leak occurred, it would drain into the bilge. As such, I use the undrainalbe metal filters from Merc or Sierra, and replace them each year.
                        Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

I have a ton of water in my tank right now, I am having to constantly drain the water out of the RACOR seperator. Has anybody ever used HEET or any of these alcohol products that supposedly allow the water to be burned off.
                          1980 Mako21 [br] [br]Long Beach MS <\')))>([br]\"I can always find somebody to tow me back in, but I can never find anybody who will tow me out.........\"

Comment

Working...
                          X