Why is foam filled bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is foam filled bad??

I’ve noticed in several threads where for some of you getting the foam out is very important and I would like to understand that. First why is the foam bad? If in Gary’s case you get a big hole in the bottom of your boat and it fills with water what’s to keep it from going to the bottom if you don’t have something displacing the water that is trying to come in? The foam may get soaked and be a pain to clean up after the fact, but at least there is an after the fact.

In my project boat all the foam was wet and in bad shape. This wasn’t the foam’s fault; it was the fault of the previous owners who didn’t bother to patch any topside holes in the boat. Thus, water was allowed into the foam which ultimately caused the deck to rot because of the water leaching from the foam through the glass and into the balsa.

It seems to me that, despite its problem with getting wet, using foam is the easiest and safest way to ensure that your small boat won’t go to the bottom if I the hull is breached and water starts pouring in or your deck is flooded. And preventing the foam from getting wet is simply what you would do anyway – don’t let any holes get in your boat.

What ideas are there for getting the foam out, but still ensuring that your boat wont go to the bottom if you spring a leak or make a mistake while at sea?

Thanks!
    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Hi Destin, I said I wont use foam below the water line due to the fact that if it gets wet it will never dry. All the Makos have enough foam in the gunnels to keep it afloat if you pop your hull. The foam in the gunnels will eventually drip any water to a clean bildge.

Comment

Then you back up a few years, ;ike my '73 and it has no foam in the sides.

Comment

Hi Wart, Im misimformed. I was under the impression that all the Makos' had foam. I was doing the warrenty for Mako and the new boats are foamed. If you saw how the new ones are built you would see why they need it.

Comment

Ringleaders boat has it in the sides. His is a '85.

So you got onboard to do New boat warranty? Tell us a little about it.

Comment

WOW, what a hot topic. I am going to compose a readable reply to this one, giving you what I know of the background of foaming boat hull, taken for the early days of Coast Guard inspections and inspectors. It may take a day or so, but there are good reasons for and against foam in fiberglass hulls.

Comment

My second year in business I was doing repairs on new Makos at a local dealership. After working on several boats and waiting forever to get paid by the factory I quit doing their work. I became discoraged due to the poor quality of what once was a great boat. I still do work for a couple of factorys but they are all high end yachts and dont screw around with my bills.

Comment

I've got a 78 Mako 20 and was under the console checking around and took the cover off and exposed part of the gas tank fill line. I't about a 12" by 18" cover held by 4 screws and found this area covered in about 3 to 4 inches of water. Next to that was foam obviously saturated with water. How serious is this and does it indicate a further problem?

Steve

Comment

Yeah no foam in the sides of my '75 23. Just some fiberglass insulation looking crap.
                  1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

This is pretty interesting, I wonder if this pertains to certain models or years or what.

Comment

the foam in my sides stops about 3 feet from the transom, at the last rod holder.
                      1980 Mako21 [br] [br]Long Beach MS <\')))>([br]\"I can always find somebody to tow me back in, but I can never find anybody who will tow me out.........\"

Comment

My 1972 Mako 22 is foam filled on the sides. I noticed this upon inspection of why my rod holders fill up with water and when my fuel filler hose broke and I went to replace it.
                        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

My '73 22 has foam in both of it's sides right up to the gunnels - from in front of the CC all the way back to the transom. I guess each boat was treated individually while it was being built and if the workers felt like doing a good job they did otherwise they skimped. This is just like how a US car is manufactured - you want one that was built on a Tues, Wed or Thurs and not a Monday or Friday especially before or after a holiday. Makes you wonder where the quality assurence people were when these boats were being built??
                          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I will check on the issue of foam under the rails in these models. There was a big issue with many hulls not passing the tank test, which anything over 20 was exempt. This was a way of adding foam without dealing with the decks. Has anyone of you, that have boats greater than twenty, seem foam under the decks?

The commercial fishing industry was responsible for the exemptions of the larger hulls. The Coast Guard felt the need to replace the Boston Whalers with a vee hull called Sea Ox, and was dealt a big blow with ratings and swamping with just this problem of the lack of flotation. They were using hulls that would not pass the tank test, in search and rescue, at that time, assisting vessels that were more capable of sea worthiness than their own boats.

Comment

I have foam in my floor and filling the gunnels in the rear of the boat. I also have the fiberglass insulation "crap" that wilson was refering to, I have know idea what function this stuff serves. Beyond boyancy, the foam in my boat also serves to stiffen the sides of the hull (in the rear).
                              1974 20\'[br]2005 Sabalo 22\'[br]Gainesville Fl[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X